• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

World Cup 2018

it doesn’t matter how good Dele Ali is I can’t equate some of his on field antics to representing his country at international level and sadly he is not the only English culprit. I’m pretty sure if He was playing in Pearce or Ince’s era they’d have had more than a quiet word.

it doesn’t matter how good Dele Ali is I can’t equate some of his on field antics to representing his country at international level and sadly he is not the only English culprit. I’m pretty sure if He was playing in Pearce or Ince’s era they’d have had more than a quiet word.

Ince! Ha! Such a hard man he totally bottled taking a penalty in Euro 96.

I see that VAR will be used at this years World Cup.

With regard to the other teams in our group, I don't see us learning much about them in any of the upcoming friendlies this week.

I have put the useless Fifa rankings in brackets for comparison.

(5th) Belgium V Saudi Arabia (69th)
(12th) Denmark V Panama (53rd)
(23rd) Tunisia V Iran (33rd)

Other than us (16th) England V Netherlands (21st), & with that debacle of a game against Iceland (18th) which is still sadly in my thoughts, I would say the Tunisia V Iran match, might give us the best insight on who might finish 2nd in the group.

Just as a side, looking at those fixtures, you gotta feel for the Panama players coming from a tropical +30C to visiting Denmark at this time of year where it's about -5C...Mind you, cant be easy on the Saudi's either visiting Belgium in March.

Last edited:
Failing to see the connection

Ince gave it all that, but if he was in the same team as Alli, he'd probably laugh it off, because Ince was all mouth.

Ince also took quite a tumble to earn England a penalty in Euro 96 so he'd hardly be coming at it from a position of strength.

Uninspiring England line up tonight against the Netherlands.

Edit:

I take that back, i thought the Dutch would come at us all guns firing, but to be fair, I thought our passing was sublime & we mainly dominated the game. (i'm still not comfortable with us playing 3 at the back though).

Only negatives in that squad, was our crossing & final finish.

Not to mention over 100 so called England fans were arrested by their police in Amsterdam & our fans in the stadium booed the Dutch national anthem.

Will be interesting to see who Southgate picks against Italy on Tuesday. Talking of Italy, good to see Buffon come back out of retirement, but does anyone know why the Argentina V Italy match was held in Manchester??

Last edited:

I was particularly impressed by Sterling last night. Not only did he play well, he managed to stay on his feet.

I don't understand why people are calling that a good performance, I can only think it's because Holland are still perceived as a big side, but they really aren't, they didn't even manage to qualify for the playoffs and Bulgaria of all teams managed to beat them 2-0. We held the ball up well but that was largely because Holland didn't look like they could be bothered to chase us around and preferred to keep the scoreline at 1-0 so that they could call it a close match. We won't be able to pass the ball around like that in the world cup.

I was more interested in what we looked like up front and it was mainly a lot of overhit crosses to no one and hoping that a poor clearance will let the ball fall to us on the edge of the box. Sure we looked nice in the middle but Jamie Vardy didn't touch the ball once when he came on, which shows how unwilling anyone in the squad was to take a risk in the final third. It was a bit better in the first half but we need to be far more clinical than we showed yesterday. Sterling looks the main threat but he isn't going to be able to do it on his own.

Like Barry Corr in the play offs?
In fairness Corr did say during the week before the final that he wouldn't be taking a penalty (unless he had to of course).

I don't understand why people are calling that a good performance, I can only think it's because Holland are still perceived as a big side, but they really aren't, they didn't even manage to qualify for the playoffs and Bulgaria of all teams managed to beat them 2-0. We held the ball up well but that was largely because Holland didn't look like they could be bothered to chase us around and preferred to keep the scoreline at 1-0 so that they could call it a close match. We won't be able to pass the ball around like that in the world cup.

I was more interested in what we looked like up front and it was mainly a lot of overhit crosses to no one and hoping that a poor clearance will let the ball fall to us on the edge of the box. Sure we looked nice in the middle but Jamie Vardy didn't touch the ball once when he came on, which shows how unwilling anyone in the squad was to take a risk in the final third. It was a bit better in the first half but we need to be far more clinical than we showed yesterday. Sterling looks the main threat but he isn't going to be able to do it on his own.
I don't see why not. The back three are all comfortable on the ball and capable of pulling the opposition out of position and, as Glenn Hoddle would say, getting into dem pockets. The performance yesterday reminded me of Hoddle's England, where we played genuinely great possession football, and of course Southgate will have learned a lot from him.

We need to be more clinical, definitely, and less wasteful in the final third, but a fit-again Harry Kane will give us an extra dimension. Obviously we're a team in transition but the Dutch have been on a decent run, I think, and I saw more pluses than minuses last night; and it wasn't a full-strength line-up.

Brillantly managed to miss France's away friendly against Russia in Saint Pete's yesterday because of the time difference, (the game went out late afternoon here).Did see the goals later in an easy 3-1 win for France on the news.Anyone know what time the World Cup matches in Russia this summer are being shown on TV?

No British referee's in the world cup this summer. first time in 80 years.

Alex oxlade Chamberlain ruled out of the world cup following his injury last night in the champions league semi final.

Who else is disgusted with the World Cup advert on TV , when they paint over Bobby Moore holding the World Cup , it is so bang out of order .:nope::nope::nope:

Back