• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
Some good news (hopefully if we can get tickets) for us footy fans.

Wembley was already given the privilege of hosting the Euro final as well as both the semi finals. However Uefa have now awarded Wembley an additional 4 matches (3 group stage matches and a last 16 tie) after the original idea for Brussels to host those matches were cancelled, due to them not building the stadium they had planned yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42270759

Does seem a little harsh on Wales, they probably deserve one of those seven.

(Remembers how much the Wales players enjoyed seeing England get knocked out of Euro 2016).

**** 'em.

I was gonna say the exact same thing, I don''t know why they chose Hampden Park over the Millennium Stadium (or what ever its called now).

Cardiff is more modern, it has got nearly an extra capacity of nearly 23,000 seats, better atmosphere, & its weather proof with the closing roof. Add to that, Scotland's record for qualifying for tournaments, I would imagine Wales would have a better chance of actually being in the competition.

Talking of Stadia, there are some questionable decisions for me there. For example:

1. Baku, don't get me wrong a nice stadium with a decent capacity, but if Azerbaijan don't qualify for the Euro's its a bit of a journey for most teams in the northern hemisphere, with a flight time of 5-6 hours each way.

2. No stadium in France, Their very likely to qualify, and the Stade De France holds over 81,000. not to mention easy direct transport options from both the UK and a vast majority of main land European countries.

3. Why chose Bilbao? Nou Camp / Bernabau or the new Athletico stadium would be much better choices.

1. Baku, don't get me wrong a nice stadium with a decent capacity, but if Azerbaijan don't qualify for the Euro's its a bit of a journey for most teams in the northern hemisphere, with a flight time of 5-6 hours each way.

2. No stadium in France, Their very likely to qualify, and the Stade De France holds over 81,000. not to mention easy direct transport options from both the UK and a vast majority of main land European countries.

3. Why chose Bilbao? Nou Camp / Bernabau or the new Athletico stadium would be much better choices.

1 - £££££££££$$$$$$$$$€€€€€€€
2 - Yes, seems odd. I know they had the 2016 Euros, but not a single game there seems odd
3 - A great new stadium by all accounts. Maybe looking to mix it up a bit from the norm.

I'm hoping/assuming the 2024 edition will be in Germany; that should be a great one.

I'm hoping/assuming the 2024 edition will be in Germany; that should be a great one.

I agree, I think it will be down to either Germany or Spain to host it (Germany has the better infrastructure to handle it).

However, If Spain develop's some of their stadiums as promised (we've all heard that line before :smile:).
I think Spain will get it ahead of Germany though.
Also added to that, they haven't hosted the Euro's since 1964, or a world Cup since 1982, so they are way over due a successful bid soon, especially being a football mad nation.

I agree, I think it will be down to either Germany or Spain to host it (Germany has the better infrastructure to handle it).

However, If Spain develop's some of their stadiums as promised (we've all heard that line before :smile:).
I think Spain will get it ahead of Germany though.
Also added to that, they haven't hosted the Euro's since 1964, or a world Cup since 1982, so they are way over due a successful bid soon, especially being a football mad nation.

Spain are definitely due one, although I seem to remember us and Germany cutting a deal whereby they'd vote for us getting the 2020 semis and final if we backed their 2024 bid.

Either would be great though.

Back