• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's not at all harsh Bentley (and to a lesser extent) Payne both predate Brown and left two seasons ago.

Bwomono has played 4 games.
Yearwood has played less than 4 full games.

It's entirely consistent to think he's got to actually play them to prepare them for next year and that getting splinters on the bench isn't going to prepare them for first team football. They need to be given a chance and allowed to continue when they impress (as Yearwood did in pre-season; as Bwomono did earlier this season). Look how little league football they are getting:

Elvis 360 minutes and none for 2 months and now fourth choice right-back
Yearwood 341 minutes and none in the last 10 matches and now fifth choice central midfielder
Kyprianou 565 minutes (and just 705 minutes over 2 years)
Wabo 0 minutes
Ba 28 minutes
Bridge 5 minutes (and just 190 minutes over the last 3 years)

They've played just 1299 minutes between them.

The struggling Anton Ferdinand has played more than on his own.

At least Ba's been given some time off the bench in consecutive games. That's a positive step but it's far too little.

And it's not as if Brown's got the excuse because all his 28+ year olds are doing so well. They're not.

Also, Bentley, Payne and Lenny have played their best football under PB, predate is absolutely irrelevant, but hey, lets not allow facts to be clouded clouded by your lack of respect of anything anyone has done, just because you dont like someone !!!

If Brown does go I would like to see someone who is a proven coach and has a track record of developing youth / academy players etc. For me David Unsworth would be a good choice!

I admire your dedication to the cause, I truly do, I really hope you cheer up for the next manager.

I just hope our next manager gives us something to be optimistic about. But it's such a low bar I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Couple of questions,

- who, factually are the 3 right backs ahead of Elvis ? Just so I know.

Demetriou, White and Leonard. We discovered this at Portsmouth. Of course I could be wrong to say he's 4th choice as he could still be lower than that.

- Harry K is injured, not really PB's fault, but hey what the heck, lets go with that shall we

And was he injured last season when he disappeared in September one match after a promising and goalscoring debut?

- Ba ... you bemoan his minutes, then go on to say at least he's now starting/involved, so can we move him from your black list.

For now. Brown's track record suggests that this won't last.

- Wabo , give the bloke a chance yeah, I feel he has been introduced to get him involved in first team squad, however I do appreciate and respect your desire for a starting X1 with an average age of 17

I don't want an average starting age of 17.

I do want a sustainable line-up with more than one or two players in the starting line-up under the age of 28. I want us to find stars on the way up, not on their way down. I want to be able to watch a young player or two develop from a promising player into an integral team player over a number of seasons. I want to see a team develop, evolve and improve. It's hardly the moon on a stick I'm after and most other teams seem to manage this.

Instead we currently have the oldest team in the division. It's not exactly going well and is only going to go downhill.

Bridge ; this has been covered so much ... he's 22, so not young ... not done much when asked upon, but yes, you are right, notwithstanding this, he should be captain ... but he's he a tad too old for your 17 year old dream squad.

I know you have a hard task defending something that is essentially indefensible (but like any true believer of Phil Brown you're not going to be afraid to defend, even when you do so ineptly) but you may as well at least try to represent my view.

I'm suggesting a 22 year old should be getting opportunities (note the plural) off the bench.

Is your argument really that this constitutes a youth obsession?

You ever considered watching youth football, would fit your need for a purely young team ....

Have you considered watching Masters football so you can get your fix of washed-up players?

Actually that's unfair. We've already had more players aged over 30 in a starting line-up than you'd get in a Masters competition.

But maybe this team really does enthuse you?

Maybe it does regularly get you up off your seat in anticipation?

Maybe you are one of the few who doesn't sit there in silence and are so inspired by this team that you sing your heart out each week and don't notice that the rest of the ground is like a morgue?

Just on the counter, its been stated on here that actually JD has performed well this season and been better, probably because he has pressure from Elvis, but should he just be dropped because Elvis is younger ..
For me Yearwood is too similar to Lenny for them both to play, hence why, in pre season Yearwood invariably played where Lenny did and Lenny was moved out wide. But just so I know, you would play someone out of position, at a young age, just to play them ..

Even if I accepted your premise that he was too similar to Lenny to play together in central midfield, I really wouldn't have an issue playing Yearwood right midfield, similar to the way that Moussa was eased into first team football. I understand that was even his position coming up through the youth team, so arguably it's playing him centrally that's more foreign. Mind you just playing is now foreign to him.

I'm not even saying he has to be starting every week. I'm just saying that he's been on the bench 15 times yet has come on just once (enforced by injury), whereas there have been many occasions where he might have freshened us up, like for example Saturday, and he might have learnt from the experience and we might have got better by him learning from the experience.

Harry K, Ive made my point above, again, for clarity HE IS INJURED AND UNAVALIABLE !!

For clarity HE WASN'T LAST SEASON WHEN HE WAS IGNORED FROM SEPTEMBER ONWARDS:facepalm:

I just hope our next manager gives us something to be optimistic about. But it's such a low bar I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Demetriou, White and Leonard. We discovered this at Portsmouth. Of course I could be wrong to say he's 4th choice as he could still be lower than that.

And was he injured last season when he disappeared in September one match after a promising and goalscoring debut?

For now. Brown's track record suggests that this won't last.

I don't want an average starting age of 17.

I do want a sustainable line-up with more than one or two players in the starting line-up under the age of 28. I want us to find stars on the way up, not on their way down. I want to be able to watch a young player or two develop from a promising player into an integral team player over a number of seasons. I want to see a team develop, evolve and improve. It's hardly the moon on a stick I'm after and most other teams seem to manage this.

Instead we currently have the oldest team in the division. It's not exactly going well and is only going to go downhill.

I know you have a hard task defending something that is essentially indefensible (but like any true believer of Phil Brown you're not going to be afraid to defend, even when you do so ineptly) but you may as well at least try to represent my view.

I'm suggesting a 22 year old should be getting opportunities (note the plural) off the bench.

Is your argument really that this constitutes a youth obsession?

Have you considered watching Masters football so you can get your fix of washed-up players?

Actually that's unfair. We've already had more players aged over 30 in a starting line-up than you'd get in a Masters competition.

But maybe this team really does enthuse you?

Maybe it does regularly get you up off your seat in anticipation?

Maybe you are one of the few who doesn't sit there in silence and are so inspired by this team that you sing your heart out each week and don't notice that the rest of the ground is like a morgue?

Even if I accepted your premise that he was too similar to Lenny to play together in central midfield, I really wouldn't have an issue playing Yearwood right midfield, similar to the way that Moussa was eased into first team football. I understand that was even his position coming up through the youth team, so arguably it's playing him centrally that's more foreign. Mind you just playing is now foreign to him.

I'm not even saying he has to be starting every week. I'm just saying that he's been on the bench 15 times yet has come on just once (enforced by injury), whereas there have been many occasions where he might have freshened us up, like for example Saturday, and he might have learnt from the experience and we might have got better by him learning from the experience.

For clarity HE WASN'T LAST SEASON WHEN HE WAS IGNORED FROM SEPTEMBER ONWARDS:facepalm:

You are absolutely right .. on every point. I apologise for ever having a differing opinion ...

Is this response childish , probably , however you don't allow anyone to differ from opinions ! I am so pleased that I don't watch football with you, as you are obviously a person that believes that they should be a manager and that frauds like Phil Brown, who have actual promotions in their CV's are getting in your way ..

I suppose we should just agree to disagree .. FYI I've always advocated a mixed age squad, I've also never said that I veluev that Elvis is is already too old at 18 !

Enjoy the rest of Browns tenure and I hope you find happiness under the next manager .. fingers crossed he will read this forum and take on board your obvious 100% unwavering knowledge of the game ..

Just back from trip home, Can't see how much has changed. Still up and down. Thought Oldham performance good, then at Bristol game, well, what can you say, that 2nd half was the worse team performance I ever seen from us. Timlin & White need and deserve to be in there right now. They will give us some bite and fight until the end of the season. Not worried about going down. Just always dream of us being a bigger and better club. Keep PB until March and see if he can get us on a run.

The whole love-in of the Cowley brothers is pure romantiscm, they hardly have a proven track record in the football league and as many have said, their ego's have got them looking for their next job at a higher level than ours.

Maher would be a great choice if you want to pay money to watch a team pass sideways and backwards whilst being managed by an inexperienced manager.

Adam Barrett, hmmmmm, had he stayed and been a coach then I could have seen the potential.

Coughlan, he's had years to move on so I'd assume he will go when Brown goes, possibly get a conference managerial job.

my choices would be Ardley, Ainsworth, Clarke at Bristol Rovers.

having said all that, we all know Brown is here to stay and we'll all have to suffer!!

Like it or dislike it, Danny Cowley's managerial cv is really outstanding. Had a fantastic non-league record before he took the Lincoln job a couple of years ago. In his first full season at Lincoln, Cowley won promotion to Division 2. In his second season at Lincoln and his first in Division 2, Lincoln are now sixth in the table and rising. They are now well placed for promotion to Division 1 if they can keep Cowley as manager. And he done all this at a relatively young age and on a limited budget. In a results-oriented business, Cowley is clearly succeeding.

Like it or dislike it, Danny Cowley's managerial cv is really outstanding. Had a fantastic non-league record before he took the Lincoln job a couple of years ago. In his first full season at Lincoln, Cowley won promotion to Division 2. In his second season at Lincoln and his first in Division 2, Lincoln are now sixth in the table and rising. They are now well placed for promotion to Division 1 if they can keep Cowley as manager. And he done all this at a relatively young age and on a limited budget. In a results-oriented business, Cowley is clearly succeeding.

Have to agree the job they did at Concord Rangers is fairy tale stuff, and once adapted to the Div 2 with Lincoln are playing it seems a brand suited to them getting in the play offs

Would Southend be a stepping stone, maybe in Lincoln fail to go up, but I think they would stay at Lincoln and learn a bit more without the fear of the axe falling next season, whereas at Southend they already have the doubters on here and an excuse they hate Southend and have a big ego. Stay where they are obviously liked/loved and maybe when the time comes for a bigger adventure leave with their heads held high and Lincoln in a better position than when first in the job
Funny enough Phil has always lead Southend to a higher position ,yet not the respect by many imho

UTS

Also, Bentley, Payne and Lenny have played their best football under PB, predate is absolutely irrelevant, but hey, lets not allow facts to be clouded clouded by your lack of respect of anything anyone has done, just because you dont like someone !!!

I guess you have watched every game Bentley has played for Brentford and Payne for Huddersfield and Oxford to come to that conclusion?

Have to agree the job they did at Concord Rangers is fairy tale stuff, and once adapted to the Div 2 with Lincoln are playing it seems a brand suited to them getting in the play offs

Would Southend be a stepping stone, maybe in Lincoln fail to go up, but I think they would stay at Lincoln and learn a bit more without the fear of the axe falling next season, whereas at Southend they already have the doubters on here and an excuse they hate Southend and have a big ego. Stay where they are obviously liked/loved and maybe when the time comes for a bigger adventure leave with their heads held high and Lincoln in a better position than when first in the job
Funny enough Phil has always lead Southend to a higher position ,yet not the respect by many imho

UTS

The Cowley brothers are great and local but hate Southend. Solution: we find the next Cowley brothers.

Southend need a sibling management team with a great track record, but also, more importantly, who love Southend and really hate the Cowley brothers. We need our own brothers to take charge, a combo who are ready and equipped to wipe the smug smile off the face of the Cowleys and make them rue the day they once idly slagged off Southend in some nondescript Hornchurch boozer back in 2004. We need to make Southend the home of the very best sibling management duo in European soccer. What could wind the Cowley's up more than not being the best brothers in their own back yard?

It is not rocket science.

LOL :smile: .. Very good point, Ken. I wouldn't if I was him (I feel this might make it's way into the week's diary!).

My gut feeling is that he is on thin ice. I wouldn't mind betting that Ron wanted answers after last Saturday and PB deflected it onto the players and then had to be seen to be doing something, so dropped a couple of them. It back-fired as we lost, of course.

I think we are a couple of defeats away from a gardening leave scenario, at the moment.

LOL :smile: .. Very good point, Ken. I wouldn't if I was him (I feel this might make it's way into the week's diary!).

My gut feeling is that he is on thin ice. I wouldn't mind betting that Ron wanted answers after last Saturday and PB deflected it onto the players and then had to be seen to be doing something, so dropped a couple of them. It back-fired as we lost, of course.

I think we are a couple of defeats away from a gardening leave scenario, at the moment.

Whatever you do, please don't mention my name in the Diary. :smile: .....

LOL :smile: .. Mum's the word!

* Taps nose *

I have been wondering what the last diary would read like, when he does eventually leave.

I think he needs 7 points from the next 4 games. That will take us up to New Years day and the start of the Transfer Window. Anything less than 7 and I can't see Ron gambling on PB getting the right players in or out in Jan, and therefore he'll want to give any new manager as much time as possible to re-shape the squad.

Back