• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues chairman Ron criticial of team's display at Rovers

The issues surround the way PB treats the players at times. Remove the issue, you have harmony
Simplistic DWB, Alex Ferguson said " get rid of the c...s" was the way to get a team working well.
In truth there are many reasons and many times and many circumstances all playing a part, PB has some blame to accept BUT he isn't alone in it.

The issues surround the way PB treats the players at times. Remove the issue, you have harmony

Not really. A majority of the issues can generally come from players not having harmony with each other, rather than the manager.

Same for every work place, in every industry.

"There is no room for failure at Southend United.”

Ron best resign himself then. His one goal for the last 15 years has been to build a new stadium. His failed every year to date.

Sounds like our kind of striker. Sign him up!

We are currently 12th in League One which is pretty much as a club where we should be. We would be punching above our weight if we were competing at the top of the table, there are several clubs in this division which are bigger than us and have vaster resources. Even if we are spending more on our squad this year the reality is so are other clubs who get bigger support and have better infrastructure. There have been far worse eras than this one, any fan who has supported the club for several years will have experienced many seasons in the bottom flight or relegation battles in this division which are far worse than what we have seen this season. I can't remember a season where we were unbeaten at home going into the Christmas period, things really aren't that bad.

There have been some disappointing results on the road this season which certainly needs looking into. However I don't see how changing the manager is going to improve things long term. Nobody has been able to provide an alternative candidate for the manager's role who would want the job. As for advocating a former shrimper such as Powell or Barrett there is very little to suggest they have the credentials to succeed as a manager, it would be a heart over head move. Until we move to a new stadium we have to accept we are a mid table league one club, anything better than that is a bonus and things could potentially be far worse as they have been in previous years.

Not really. A majority of the issues can generally come from players not having harmony with each other, rather than the manager.

Same for every work place, in every industry.

Again, partly true but with professionalism, discipline and maturity people can, and do work well together despite loathing one another, didn't Cole and Sherringham hate each other but played well for seasons? But then Fergie had the power to get them to toe the line, maybe PB doesn't have the same status at RH?

Yep, I've re-read that and, of course, the Echo will soundbite it, but you can definitely read it both ways.

On the one hand, Ron is suggesting the players are responsible, but on the other, he is leaning towards disharmony with the manager and maybe hinting that 'he has lost the dressing room' to peddle a well worn line and might not be the man to turn it around. He's using phrases suggesting that results aren't up to the standard expected of the players brought in.

A lot will depend on where Ron feels the buck stops.

No doubt any manager will be under the same financial constraints and you are correct we can only afford these players at the twilight of their careers. However, PB has been given a bigger than normal budget the last 2 seasons, Ron had really backed PB, but PB has failed to deliver. I really think the current playing staff will respond positively to a change of manager

Your making that up aren't you Dave.

Oh the beautiful game of Football with such divisive views! So many variables that impact success.

Chairman, players, manager, coaches, tactics, weather, fans, money, perceptions, injuries, luck, bad judgement etc etc

I can only draw on what I’ve seen of success with the blues over the 30 odd years of watching my beloved home town club.

A Chairman is typically rarely loved but we have one now who has financially supported the team, who is there at the game and I can only imagine doing the best job to manoeuvre a club like southend into a promising position to Ensure longevity with a nn new stadium. I find it hard to knock him.

Players yes there’s been some bad choices, some over the hill, but there’s still some good quality in the squad. There’s a glue that’s weak at the moment - sometimes it’s there. Begs the question what that glue is. Man management or tactics? Something. Else? That’s always been the case for a team like southend - they have their strengths and weaknesses always but it’s how they get deployed, coached and motivated to get the best out of them. Even the senior guys are still relatively young in the big scheme of things. I’ve seen so many players look good because they’re used well.

In my view the tactics and style are what makes the difference - the glue. The difference between a good manager is one that understand the players and has an ability to understand tactics for success. Webb... tilson... Thompson when he helped us survive relegation... perhaps even brown in league 2. The way a team is setup, play to strengths, consistency, formation, a plan to win with an eye on nullifying an oppositions team strengths (which doesn’t necessarily mean changing the whole team formation brown). The biggest exponent and ignoring his move to a supposed sleeping giant - I still don’t blame him - Fry was by the most exciting manager with the most relevant tactics, exciting Football, good eye for players and an ability to motivate.

The other factors all come into play and we’ve had our fair share - but you make your own luck! For that reason brown I believe should go. How many times I’ve heard the words... no plan b or plan a when we’ve lost. I’ve watched his Football. I reckon I’ve seen maybe 2-3 really good games - the rest average. I don’t think we will ever see consistent success with him.

Oh the other good thing about Football .... opinions!

Your making that up aren't you Dave.

How can you honestly believe that we have Ferdinand, Kightly, Turner, Cox and Kiernan on the books and still be “middle of the road” in terms of wage outlay in this division? ��

It's a waiting game now to see what transpires. Personally I would like PB to leave with dignity, accepting he has done his bit for us and be in the record books for getting us a promotion. After recent events it will take a miracle for him to win the fans over and every failure will be lambasted louder than before.
At the end of the day he has done a job for us and, even the most die hard anti PB crew, have to admit we are in a better league position than before he came.
I believe it's time for him to call it a day here but I will certainly wish him well for the future and i will also acknowledge his contribution to the club.
I hope he takes RM by the hand, shakes it, and says farewell. I hope he doesn't force RM's hand to sack him.
A lot of us disagreed with PB on football but that's as far as it goes. It's not personal. We often disagree about football with our best friends but don't wish them ill.
Interesting days ahead.

Was this any worse than Rotherham, Wigan and Doncaster? That's 4 times now we've lost by 3 or more goals.

Half way through the season the summer signings have hardly played and the number of starts by players
on long term contracts: Kightly, Kiernan, Robinson, Ranger and McLaughlin is either through ability or injury is underwhelming.

Back