• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

According to CP on Twitter we had a 150k offer accepted by Sheff Utd for Ben Whiteman, only for him to reject the move and go to Doncaster

It's important to make sure the player you bid for doesn't want to come here so you don't have to then pay for them.

Is it really though, of course there would be no chance we'd make a bid for a player that we know will be accepted by the club but for someone who we know has no intention of coming here. Looks like we're prepared to pay money when in reality it was never going to come off.

I sound like Rigsby with my conspiricy theories :happy:

It's important to make sure the player you bid for doesn't want to come here so you don't have to then pay for them.

That's what GNH said.

What about the players Brown wanted to ship out not so long ago? Do we need to get a few off the wage bill first?
Is this why we are looking to loan players before signing them?

Long gone are the days when Southend could dangle a club house in front of a player they wanted to sign .

scares the hell out of me that we feel we need to pay 150k for a player in this market.

That's how it works in January, no one is out of contract until the Summer and it's unlikely a club is going to let anyone good go on a free (unless they have stupidly high wages) so you either wait until the Summer to pick up some free agents or shell out the cash. If we were just looking for squad depth like last year we'd be alright with free transfers but we need key players, and they don't come for free. I suspect we'll end up with loanees instead.

According to CP on Twitter we had a 150k offer accepted by Sheff Utd for Ben Whiteman, only for him to reject the move and go to Doncaster

It says something when a player would rather live in Doncaster than sunny Southend.

According to Zoopla the average house in Southend is almost double that of Doncaster, I'd probably be tempted by those savings if I had a choice of where to go, especially when Doncaster are higher up the table than us.

They say"No news is good news " im not so sure that in Southends case is true.Seems the only news we get is of a player turning us down,must be more too it than the fact they are from up north,if that is the case then PB and RM should maybe start looking at players from down South or London.

What footballer with any ability is going to want to join Phil Brown's sinking toxic Titanic? I'm sure there are a load of naff fringe players and "hasbeens" knocking about who might fancy an easy street paycheck.

Bottom line is that we probably wont sign anyone, but if we do, don't be expecting the next Stanley or Fred.....

We literally only fancied him as well because he had a good game against us

He has scored 5 goals in 25 appearances for Donny, 3 of which were against us, so it looks like he did have a purple patch in that game.
As for signing northern players, I seem to remember Webby saying he only wanted to sign players from round the M25, this obviously seems quite sensible, so we probably can't expect PB to be as wise as Webby.
What did happen to the player we was going to get in last Monday I wonder? :nope:

Tilly was the same he only signed local boys in the main. Echoes of last season trying to sign various northern strikers and ending up panic buying Theo. As has been said what team is going to sell us their best players? Best we can hope for is a loanee or two.

Time is ticking, now mid way through the month and nobody signed up....poor...very poor by our club...

league 2 here we come unfortunately....not Morecambe again!!!

Totally agree with the above posts....search for local, young & hungry players within the South East...with a "strong man"? senior player, who can hold it together f it's going to rats

I know Cole has been linked with Championship clubs none have materialised yet an given he is a free agent come the summer (I think) as he signed a 2 1/2 year deal in January 2016 when signing from Bradford for 90k. So never say never, money speaks after all... not saying that we will or could pay more than a champ side, but if no other options on the table and he wants out, which I think he did earlier in the season and if I remember correctly had a falling out with Rosler due to that. But is probably wishful thinking. I would say it is probably more likely Bobby Grant or Hiwula (think he is a striker)

It's pointless buying anyone. We don't even know who the manager will be next month.

Just get some loan guys in for the areas we need to cover. Sort out what system we intend to play and stick with it. Then just get on with gaining the 20 points.

We should be concentrating on sorting out what we're doing on the training ground, as much as anything.

Just over half way, were nearly there in retaining our record of always being the last club to manage to move in the transfer windows under the Brown /Ron regime. 48 players signed up elsewhere, largest activity via loans. Northampton top of the bring em in table with 5 new entrants

NFN, Barry, but have you got some sort of wallchart/spreadsheet thing going on there? :winking:

Back