• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two players I reckon we should consider are;

Christian Doidge - still banging goals in for FGR despite them being near the bottom of L2, and also midfielder Keanu Marsh-Brown, who from what I’ve seen looks like a decent player.

Both big lads and around the 25 age mark, could be potential decent signings.

Bet they’re both sick of that vegan food too, could chuck a Roots Hall dog burger into the deal, sorted :thumbsup:

Two players I reckon we should consider are;

Christian Doidge - still banging goals in for FGR despite them being near the bottom of L2, and also midfielder Keanu Marsh-Brown, who from what I’ve seen looks like a decent player.

Both big lads and around the 25 age mark, could be potential decent signings.

Bet they’re both sick of that vegan food too, could chuck a Roots Hall dog burger into the deal, sorted :thumbsup:

Yes but being vegan, they would like some onions too!
That's where the negotiations end.

So it would seem that Sir Chrissy Powell has a fortnight to bring in...a minimum of 4 (needed in my opinion) ideally a striker, midfield tough nut, centre back...winger too. Keep that phone charged Chris.

So it would seem that Sir Chrissy Powell has a fortnight to bring in...a minimum of 4 (needed in my opinion) ideally a striker, midfield tough nut, centre back...winger too. Keep that phone charged Chris.

I’d quite like about 6, if he’s able to move a few on, otherwise as soon as we get the next injury we’ll be woefully short again in one position or another.

Thought Cowling was the reason behind your relegation with his change to not subsidising the club and buying players but relying on youth coming through about four years ago.
Is this now working ? as a number on this site think that it was worth a try ....although I think it's too bigger gamble
As you know we are a small club with tiny crowds and little money to spend on wages and transfer fees. We rely on bringing players through to eventually sell on at a decent profit, and also as I said bring in young lads from further up the leagues in the hope of polishing up a gem!

I think we need a striker and a central midfielder. Not sure what else we need. we have lots of defenders, 2 good wide players (on paper) but not sure what else. I'd rather 2 excellent players than 4-5 average to poor ones

I think we need a striker and a central midfielder. Not sure what else we need. we have lots of defenders, 2 good wide players (on paper) but not sure what else. I'd rather 2 excellent players than 4-5 average to poor ones

I don’t want ANY average to poor players, we have an embarrassment of riches where they’re concerned. What we don’t have is:

- height, pace and hold up play up front
- strength, tackling and quality passing in midfield
- anything (fit) between very young and very old in central defence
- proper competition for places all over the pitch

I don’t want ANY average to poor players, we have an embarrassment of riches where they’re concerned. What we don’t have is:

- height, pace and hold up play up front
- strength, tackling and quality passing in midfield
- anything (fit) between very young and very old in central defence
- proper competition for places all over the pitch

I would add the will to win, also.

Our squad is not that bad. Not a promotion challenging squad as some were saying at the start of the season, but we largely have what we need when fit other than a holding midfielder and an alternative to Fortune who can back into the last defender and interplay with Cox. I think we had a huge amount of bad luck at the start of the season, looking at the stats (expected goal figures etc) we could easily have gone on a serious run then with a bit more rub of the green. Most teams have a blip somewhere in their season and unfortunately we weren't in a high enough position to protect ourselves against it.

^
Yep, pretty much agree with all of that.

Just need some loan cover in a couple of positions and then let the new manager sort out what he needs in the summer.

Don't go breaking too many eggs, just for the moment.

Thought Cowling was the reason behind your relegation with his change to not subsidising the club and buying players but relying on youth coming through about four years ago.
Is this now working ? as a number on this site think that it was worth a try ....although I think it's too bigger gamble

Cowling is not popular with the fans because they think he is using the club as a plaything and is only interested in the prawn sandwich brigade and not the everyday working class type fan. Yes a lot of fans thought he relied too heavily on the younger players in league one, they were brought in too early and inevitably we got thrashed in some games. But now it is starting to bear fruit, those 19-20 year olds are now a couple of years older and have 50-100 games under their belts. We have brought in a few older players (Not too old!) and this has helped steady the ship. We were unlucky that 3-4 of our better players have missed all the season up till now, but they are all getting back now so hopefully they will be available for a final push.

Our squad is not that bad. Not a promotion challenging squad as some were saying at the start of the season, but we largely have what we need when fit other than a holding midfielder and an alternative to Fortune who can back into the last defender and interplay with Cox. I think we had a huge amount of bad luck at the start of the season, looking at the stats (expected goal figures etc) we could easily have gone on a serious run then with a bit more rub of the green. Most teams have a blip somewhere in their season and unfortunately we weren't in a high enough position to protect ourselves against it.

Inevitably you will always get that new manager bounce, where players work that bit harder to impress the new regime, they will realise if they want a new contract for example they need to prove their worth. With all these poor results maybe Phil had lost the dressing room a bit or some of the backroom guys were not popular. The new manager will want to hit the ground running so he will pull out all the stops to get the players on his side but at the same time stamp his authority, a difficult balancing act!

So us and Gillingham are the remaining teams to make a transfer, the race is on!

Gillingham made a loan signing from Bury today, so I guess that puts in last place with the wooden spoon.

The only team in Division One not to make a signing. :sad:

Nearly couldn’t find this thread it had almost slipped of the page. Assuming we have a new manager if only in the stands at the weekend he will have a week of the transfer window left...

Of course some may believe that just changing the manager will be enough, and it could be, however we should also remember we have let three players go one of whom was our best player. So at some point we have to get back to the stark realities. If Ron’s plan was to distract everyone so he could get away with no signings it would be an absolute master stroke.. (although I doubt it was).

First point is I have seen no discussion around how Chris Powell lines his teams up- 442, 352 etc?

Nearly couldn’t find this thread it had almost slipped of the page. Assuming we have a new manager if only in the stands at the weekend he will have a week of the transfer window left...

Of course some may believe that just changing the manager will be enough, and it could be, however we should also remember we have let three players go one of whom was our best player. So at some point we have to get back to the stark realities. If Ron’s plan was to distract everyone so he could get away with no signings it would be an absolute master stroke.. (although I doubt it was).

First point is I have seen no discussion around how Chris Powell lines his teams up- 442, 352 etc?

The loan window will still be open so maybe the thought on loans has changed and we will look to get a few loanees in to keep us in L1 then the new manager will have the summer to rebuild

The loan window will still be open so maybe the thought on loans has changed and we will look to get a few loanees in to keep us in L1 then the new manager will have the summer to rebuild

I think they changed it and you can only do loan moves if emergency outside the window.

I think they changed it and you can only do loan moves if emergency outside the window.

That was my understanding...maybe wrong. Just seems we had 48 pages of must get people in including Lenny and Ranger replacements or we are stuffed to disinterest presumably based on the new manager almost guaranteeing success by virtue of who is is/his fantastic record...

For me we desperately need a top CM and a target man upfront at least or we are going to continue to struggle whoever the manager is. Our current forward line requires the ball almost exclusively on the deck something that requires a better midfield than we currently have (and at home a better playing surface).

Back