• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
Was thinking what will SUFC look for in the January transfer window , who will go (Lenny i believe will go for sure ) but who else and who may PB and RM look for.As for me i would love to see a strike partnership like we had so many years ago (a Roy Hollis and Sam McCrory type).Be interesting to read your views also we will definitely need a replacement for Lenny.

I sincerely hope that we do very little in the January window. This season is a goner and we are unlikely to get much in the way of quality or future prospect next month. let it go. Consolidate and rebuild in the summer. Why should we shove more dosh through a poo chute?

Yeah it seems a waste to spend money boosting the squad when we are unlikely to be challenging for anything this year. The only exception would be if Brown or whoever is in charge identifies a youth prospect that we should bring to the youth team, I think Brown did that with Kyprianou a couple of years ago and he seems to have been a good investment (assuming he doesn't turn injury prone), whilst Ba doesn't look ready yet he's another one that might come good in the future.

A lot will depend on the fitness prospects of a couple of key players and whether Lenny goes.

We could see a cover brought in for Lenny and possibly a younger and quicker centre-half. Maybe both on loan. I'd be surprised if we brought anyone in on a contract. Tims did allude to this in the interview, yesterday, suggesting the squad might be boosted in January.

The other thing, reading between the lines, is that one or two may well be out the door. Be interesting to see who they are and whether they are sold or loaned out.

I would be amazed if the players brown wants out the door would be wanted by many other teams at the moment.

Think we will be back into the loan market and hopefully see a forward, centre midfielder and a centre back come in. Fingers crossed.

I think we'll lose Lenny (Sheff Utd will eventually get their man for £750K plus add ons), Hendrie (will return to Scotland on a free) and Bridge (Northampton or an ambitious conference club). Not convinced Ranger will keep his nose clean during the Christmas party season, so he may well be gone too.

Given the freeing up of wages, I reckon we'll get a couple in - probably a proper centre forward and a central midfielder.

I wonder if the blades will chuck someone in as a makeweight to the Lenny deal? That lad Ben Whiteman who scored a hat-trick against us for Doncaster is on loan from the Blades.... just a thought!

Who would we want to get rid of?

For me personally.

Ranger. Has been poor and his attitude is appaling
Robinson. Has been poor and is way below the level require.
Hendrie. His face will not fit as long as PB is at the club.
Kightly. On big money and has done nothing to earn it.
Terminate Kiernans contract. Will probably be injured all season.
Ferdinand. Great first season but has been woeful. Should not be captain.
Lenny. Will be sold for 700k+

We will need to bring in 2 forwards 2 CBs and a midfielder

For me personally.

Good luck getting rid of any of those aside from Leonard and maybe Hendrie, who's going to be willing to take out of form players and offer them the wages we're giving them at the moment?

For me personally.

Ranger. Has been poor and his attitude is appaling -going nowhere
Robinson. Has been poor and is way below the level require. - going nowhere
Hendrie. His face will not fit as long as PB is at the club. - going nowhere
Kightly. On big money and has done nothing to earn it. - going nowhere
Terminate Kiernans contract. Will probably be injured all season. - going nowhere
Ferdinand. Great first season but has been woeful. Should not be captain. - going nowhere
Lenny. Will be sold for 700k+ - probably

Maybe be able to ship out Theo on loan

Just about agree with all said, might be inclined to hang onto Kiernan for end of season/ next season !

For me personally.

For me personally.

Ranger and Theo , yep can understand that

Anton, for me, IF he is honest and he believes his body can't do this anymore, then surely he could do what Gary Neville did and just hold his hand up and say, that's it, I'm done.

Don't agree with Kiernan, a good young player .. not ideal now, but look for the long term for him.

Kightly won't go anywhere

Hendrie won't either , there's a player in there ..

Lenny ; be very interesting to see what happens here.

I'd love to see a younger MAF version .. power and strength .. and depending on Anton, we would needed a stop gap whilst Kiernan comes back .. loan from a higher league ?

From a Sheffield rag ;

Sheffield United are favourites to land Southend’s Ryan Leonard in Janaury with the midfielder impressed by the persistence that Chris Wilder’s men have shown in pursuing him.

Despite having several bids knocked back in the summer for the player, the Blades have still sent a representative to almost every one of his games as they keep an eye on his progress.
That, combined with their lofty league position appears to have ensured Bramall Lane is where Leonard wants to play his football after leaving the League One club according to the Sheffield Star.

The Blades had identified the 25-year old as a key target in the summer but even though he only had a year left on his contract and handed in a transfer request, the Shrimpers refused to sell, wanting to keep the player for a promotion push.
However, they now trail sixth place Charlton Athletic by seven points and with Phil Brown’s side down in 12th they may be tempted to cash in on a player they know could walk away on a free in a matter of months.

Wilder will be desperate for a central-midfield player given how his side have struggled since Paul Coutts season-ending injury.

The Verdict

This is a move that would make sense for all concerned. Leonard will be desperate to step up to the Championship and Southend should take a fee whilst they can.
Sheffield United deserve praise for how they’ve gone about this as their desire to land the player has clearly paid off.
Make no mistake, there would be Championship interest in Leonard but he obviously appreciates how much Chris Wilder and the Blades want to sign him and that will be the key to sealing this transfer.

Hmmm....that all sounds convincing. Will Southend put a clause in a contract that he won't be permitted to play against us (say, in the cup)?

From a Sheffield rag ;

Sheffield United are favourites to land Southend’s Ryan Leonard in Janaury with the midfielder impressed by the persistence that Chris Wilder’s men have shown in pursuing him.

Despite having several bids knocked back in the summer for the player, the Blades have still sent a representative to almost every one of his games as they keep an eye on his progress.
That, combined with their lofty league position appears to have ensured Bramall Lane is where Leonard wants to play his football after leaving the League One club according to the Sheffield Star.

The Blades had identified the 25-year old as a key target in the summer but even though he only had a year left on his contract and handed in a transfer request, the Shrimpers refused to sell, wanting to keep the player for a promotion push.
However, they now trail sixth place Charlton Athletic by seven points and with Phil Brown’s side down in 12th they may be tempted to cash in on a player they know could walk away on a free in a matter of months.

Wilder will be desperate for a central-midfield player given how his side have struggled since Paul Coutts season-ending injury.

The Verdict

This is a move that would make sense for all concerned. Leonard will be desperate to step up to the Championship and Southend should take a fee whilst they can.
Sheffield United deserve praise for how they’ve gone about this as their desire to land the player has clearly paid off.
Make no mistake, there would be Championship interest in Leonard but he obviously appreciates how much Chris Wilder and the Blades want to sign him and that will be the key to sealing this transfer.

misleading headline. No actual proof of whether Ryan is "impressed" by their persistence.

Hmmm....that all sounds convincing. Will Southend put a clause in a contract that he won't be permitted to play against us (say, in the cup)?
No clause needed , we never go beyond the first round in the cups .....

I'd put more emphasis on sorting out the players we already have before adding other underachievers into the mix. If we can add someone that represents a genuine improvement into our midfield I think that would be a good idea - especially with Lenny off sooner or later. But the last time we did that we ended up with Josh Wright (just another body) and if that's all that's available to us I'd sooner see Dru Yearwood get some games.

Back