• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

we seem to be slipping into a mid table finish So to cash in on lenny would be maybe the right thing to do. For him the club and the finances . But hold on just rember Rochdale last season seemed to be doomed to relegation .Then they went on a great run and I believe finished in the top 7 or just outside . If lenny does go we need to go into the Peterbough route and look long and hard at these non league gems .

And how exactly are you going to do that?
If I was off work sick and my boss sacked me, I'd quite fancy my chances in court.

By mutual consent. If the feedback from those in the know is that he will not play for another 6 months + , then offer him 6 months wages to terminate and move on.

we seem to be slipping into a mid table finish So to cash in on lenny would be maybe the right thing to do. For him the club and the finances . But hold on just rember Rochdale last season seemed to be doomed to relegation .Then they went on a great run and I believe finished in the top 7 or just outside . If lenny does go we need to go into the Peterbough route and look long and hard at these non league gems .

If only PB would follow this path as that's where you find the players who are hungry enough to want to better themselves and improve.
Unfortunately we all know he won't and it will be Brown's usual diet of journeymen.

If only PB would follow this path as that's where you find the players who are hungry enough to want to better themselves and improve.
Unfortunately we all know he won't and it will be Brown's usual diet of journeymen.

The manager follows the club policy. Yes its his choice of which journeymen but whoever follows after him won't be spending £500,000 on non league 'gems'

Maybe we can do a swap the Billericay j Robinson for our player of the same name Who cant hit a barn door .

Hmmm....that all sounds convincing. Will Southend put a clause in a contract that he won't be permitted to play against us (say, in the cup)?

Not permissable.

The manager follows the club policy. Yes its his choice of which journeymen but whoever follows after him won't be spending £500,000 on non league 'gems'
I'm sure you are right on this , there is no way we can at this point in time fork out £500k on a non league or possibly lower league player. As you comment it no longer seems to be the clubs policy.
However I'm sure you will be well aware that the majority of the many players actually purchased for undisclosed fees come no where near that high figure. Peterboroughs own web site confirms for example that the £500k fee is by far their highest paid. That would suggest to me the other ten fees paid are much lower. What if some were £15k or £25k.? What if the successful policy was based on the business plan that you have to speculate a little to accumulate.? What if you didn't have a Policy of forking out high wages for say the equivalent journeymen of Ferdinand, knightly, Turner, Cox etc. And instead invested a little in those younger energetic talents from the lower leagues. Then yes maybe in time you could be splashing out £500k as you had started down the path of pulling in £28m , based on a different club policy?

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Luton played a league match with the oldest player being 27. It might be a better way to go regarding wages, a faster and fitter squad, and getting a transfer fee when they move on.

I'm sure you are right on this , there is no way we can at this point in time fork out £500k on a non league or possibly lower league player. As you comment it no longer seems to be the clubs policy.
However I'm sure you will be well aware that the majority of the many players actually purchased for undisclosed fees come no where near that high figure. Peterboroughs own web site confirms for example that the £500k fee is by far their highest paid. That would suggest to me the other ten fees paid are much lower. What if some were £15k or £25k.? What if the successful policy was based on the business plan that you have to speculate a little to accumulate.? What if you didn't have a Policy of forking out high wages for say the equivalent journeymen of Ferdinand, knightly, Turner, Cox etc. And instead invested a little in those younger energetic talents from the lower leagues. Then yes maybe in time you could be splashing out £500k as you had started down the path of pulling in £28m , based on a different club policy?

That is misleading by Peterborough as they often have add-ons when they sign a player. So for example the very useful looking Maddison cost them about £250,000 but that will rise to about £500,000 if he continues as he is. I think the lad they signed from Luton was very similar.

So I guess Posh are protected for part of a deal if player fails. They do offer long contracts like 4 year deals etc Some on the Zone had a melt down at 18 month contracts let alone 3 years.

You really don't get a lot for 25k. We have signed Coker, Theo and Ba. Plus Harry Kyp looks like a very promising work in progress.

Ox is proving to be a great signing so lets hope we can keep him and I like the look of Wright. So its not all journeyman, cynical, one last pay day players on our books.

Turner has proved in just a few games that he is a proper centre half so lets hope he gets no more injuries. Ferdinand and Cox were 2 of our best players last season. Yes they have struggled at times this season but I'm certainly not jumping on the convenient lets blame Anton because we can't put the ball in the net bandwagon.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that Luton played a league match with the oldest player being 27. It might be a better way to go regarding wages, a faster and fitter squad, and getting a transfer fee when they move on.

Luton look very good. Of course if you have a bigger budget than SUFC and you are in L2 then that probably helps.

You can change your transfer policy all you like but it does not mean you will have a great deal more success. There are so many issues involved. Identifying a player is followed by being able to afford said player and then you have to be appealing to the player. You can rape the budget for costly players and end up with someone that chases the payday. Nothing is guaranteed. Our recent record of nurturing players has improved slightly by the sale of Bentley and Payne and the potential sale of Leonard but by and large we are a stepping stone club but in a downward trajectory.

Any player with good guidance and common sense will take many factors into consideration before joining a club. Will they get matches, are the facilities good, is the coaching staff likely to benefit them...?

I should imagine that the transfer policy of all clubs comes under scrutiny by their fans and often criticised. We all want to see quality players in our side but transfers are notoriously complex. We could sign hundreds of players that would be glad to be at our club but by and large the vast majority will not be an improvement on what we have. Finding a 'gem' is incredibly difficult and all clubs have scouts and are looking at the same players as we do. No manager wants to sign dross but many do. Not every player is a 'fit' at every club and if we could get a system with perfect foresight we would win the Champions League. Generally the outcome of a transfer is determined by hindsight and not always seen as successful.

Word is Chelsea are set to recall Mason Mount back from his loan at Vitesse due to lack of game time. I know he's young but he has a decent footballing brain and could do a decent job for us, anyone who watched any of Chelsea's youth cup games last season could attest to this. Get on the blower PB.

Did they have a bigger budget? I bet our wage bill is much higher than theirs. Also, when we sign a player the fee is usually undisclosed.

There is no way Wriggy knows how much Luton's wage bill is. Clearly no valid substance to this individual when he needs to make up things.

There is no way Wriggy knows how much Luton's wage bill is. Clearly no valid substance to this individual when he needs to make up things.

I strongly suspect that he’s not as “in the know” about SUFC’s wage bill as he thinks he is as well...

Should Leonard leave (which is most likely). I would like us to take a punt on a short term loan with someone like Jorge Grant, (rather than gamble within the January transfer window & sign up some numpty on a 3 year contract again).

Jorge Grant is currently on loan to Nott's County from Nott's Forest.

A pacy central midfielder (but can also play down both the left and right wing, giving us further options). He's just turned 23, (so a teenager in terms of our squad) & has 13 goals and 5 assists to his name so far this season in division 2.

Back