• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As I have said elsewhere, we need to look at non-league goal scorers who have the ambition to play in League 1. Not players who have been there, done it, got the tee-shirt, who are now just after a final pay-off before hanging up their boots. I would wager we have more of those than anyone else in this league.

They're are plenty of good players in non league but the jump from non league to L1 is fairly big. For every player that makes it, there will be 100 that don't. The chances of us picking one that makes it is slim. Is it worth the risk?

I don’t really care what formation we play, as long as it works. Someone posted that we haven’t ever won playing games hat formation. Surely that’s not true ( don’t know if they meant under brown or just this season)

they're are plenty of good players in non league but the jump from non league to l1 is fairly big. For every player that makes it, there will be 100 that don't. The chances of us picking one that makes it is slim. Is it worth the risk?

yes yes yes

We have plucked 2 or 3 from non league in the last few years, the one from Billericay stands out but cant remember his name. All of them have flopped. That said, Brown never really gave them much of a chance

There was some bloke called Eastwood who didn't do bad, also Hooper who seems to have survived in the Championship. What is that expression, "If you don't buy a ticket, you won't win the raffle".

There was some bloke called Eastwood who didn't do bad, also Hooper who seems to have survived in the Championship. What is that expression, "If you don't buy a ticket, you won't win the raffle".

I agree with you totally on both those. At a time when we clearly need someone fresh, a untried and unknown quantity from non league isn't necessarily the answer. By all means take a punt but don't pin any hopes on it being our saviour

We have plucked 2 or 3 from non league in the last few years, the one from Billericay stands out but cant remember his name. All of them have flopped. That said, Brown never really gave them much of a chance

...probably because they were not of league standard.

You are right, how many non-league strikers have ever made it at Roots Hall? Just the one, and he was a once in a lifetime signing. Any non league forward coming here would be eaten alive by our crowd if he didn't instantly hit the back of the net and the manager would be shot down in flames as a "know nothing idiot".

The last one to come off was about 10? Years ago? People don't dwell on the failures for some reason like they do with the exceptions that have worked. Since then, there are probably double figures of players who have taken wages, been on multi year contracts etc etc who have had no discernable positive effect on the first team.

The last one to come off was about 10? Years ago? People don't dwell on the failures for some reason like they do with the exceptions that have worked. Since then, there are probably double figures of players who have taken wages, been on multi year contracts etc etc who have had no discernable positive effect on the first team.
These "double figures of players" - are we still talking non-league, or the number of crap injury prone big names that who certainly have had no effect on the first team?

They're are plenty of good players in non league but the jump from non league to L1 is fairly big. For every player that makes it, there will be 100 that don't. The chances of us picking one that makes it is slim. Is it worth the risk?

I agree there are plenty in the lower leagues, many are currently gracing most of the league leaders. What info I have suggests it's closer to 50/50 in terms of the success rate, rather different to 100 to one, but maybe success might need more definition in research evidence outcome terms

.....when you badly need the points to give hope for the rest of the season, and to keep you in a job. Oh no....not our Phil.....lets not test there keeper when we are playing at home. Ron you ain't got the balls to sack the idiot in charge after last week so this week Phil confirms it for you..... We got back in to it when he put on a proper forward line but he has to commit suicide before that happens....east stand tea lady has got more idea!

Why is it sackable

I thought Ranger played well

As did I. Considering he actually was "The Lone Ranger" for once.

Were all keyboard warriors on here though, each with our opinions.

However, regardless, Personally I still would have started MAF over Ranger.

Why is it sackable
...because anyone with any sort of football brain would play two people up front at home when you badly need the points. If he couldn't comprehend that then he isn't in the right game and any other industry would give him the bullet....that is why!

But apart from conceding within the first 10 (where I agree Bradfords one touch and our inability to track back at that moment) we had a very good game

Back