• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agreed and hardly raking it in on gate money.

Be interesting to see their accounts.

No idea where Scunthorpe get their money from. They aren't exactly a big club

A while back they were listed as one of just three clubs out of the 92 that are not in debt. This has now been challenged as some cash was put into the club by a Director/Chairman sort of connection.

A while back they were listed as one of just three clubs out of the 92 that are not in debt. This has now been challenged as some cash was put into the club by a Director/Chairman sort of connection.

Oh I see. I guess there are lots of ways of gaining funds, especially if the owner also owns other companies that are affluent. Money can easily be transferred and used without going through club finances

Oh I see. I guess there are lots of ways of gaining funds, especially if the owner also owns other companies that are affluent. Money can easily be transferred and used without going through club finances

They have also done well selling on some strikers in recent times....Billy Sharpe and a bloke called Hooper come to mind. There was another one who went for well over £1m but I cant remember the name.

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2017/august/chairman-peter-swann-ahead-of-the-new-season/

Scunthorpe's owner puts shed loads of money into the club. He says they don't lose out on players because of shortages of cash and reckons they have a top six budget.

This should be compulsive reading for ever Zoner. Might help if our club had this sort of interview now and again as it would help some of our fans. The more realistic you are the less frustrated you become.

They have also done well selling on some strikers in recent times....Billy Sharpe and a bloke called Hooper come to mind. There was another one who went for well over £1m but I cant remember the name.

Hooper. One of Tilson's biggest mistakes

I hope to lift spirits and expectations a bit, we do consider a couple of loanees in the January transfer window. As Rigsby has pointed out we have no money so obviously cant buy any one and half the board on here thinks its completely useless delving into the lower leagues for freebies or those that might cost a set of shirts.( even though practically all the league leaders have done it? ) So if those 2 options are out, that leaves do nothing, bring on the youngsters, or reverse the decision on loanees I do feel we might do better and up our chances if we did bite the bullet on that the policy decision to not bring anybody in on loan this season. Others are doing it very well thank you. We tend of late to not be that great at recruiting the right ones? The Southampton lad had a bit about him. Besides the club has stated it is all too complicated for us and causes selection headaches for poor old Phil. It makes me wonder though how other clubs are pulling it off with pretty good success?

Martin Paterson bought for £335k from Stoke sold for to Burnley for £1.6m. There was also Andy Keogh cost £50k sold for £750k .

Buy them young and sell them on. Are you advocating that as a sound business model?

They also paid £200k for someone called Kevan Hurst. I don't think they got their money back though.

Tad harsh...i saw most of hoopers games and he just didn't do it with us...i certainly wasn't upset to lose him. Yes he turned it all Into a very good career etc but did not imo do anything in his time here to show what was coming. Maybe a bit more patience was required

We made a good profit on him £175k, plus, from the sell on to Celtic, maybe another £500k. At least we had the nouse to extend his contract and not release him. Tilson knew he was a good player but never knew how to get the best out of him.

Back