• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Match report: AFC Wimbledon 2, Southend United 0

So the facts speak for themselves this year because we're losing but don't speak for themselves in the other 4 years when we played well? I think it is time for Brown to go because he's made poor signings that don't fit his style, and I don't think he's adaptable enough to come up with something outside his comfort zone that will work, but rewriting history so that everything he did in previous years was actually down to Sturrock seems unfair and doesn't really make sense considering he's been here 4 and half years and this is the first season it's gone wrong.

Enough surely, you may not agree with me which is ok. It's his team, RM has backed him all the way. He is a crap manager, amongst the worst ever at this club...he wants the money that's all and is not man enough to walk away for being a failure.

And so did you voice your opinion that Ferdinand was crap last season and a poor signing for this?

I didn’t see him up close in training but I can’t remember any match ratings at the end of last season where I was giving him a 10. Perhaps like many others I thought he was carrying an injury, but I wasn’t party to the full detail. One thing that was blindingly obvious to me and many on the zone is that Ferdinand would need to play alongside someone with pace. Not Michael Turner. Similarly, I was concerned when he got a 2 year contract. And when Robinson was signed with a 2 1/2 year deal... which was then extended when he was crap. There are others I didn’t agree with

But all of that, what I think, what you think, what MTS thinks doesn’t matter. The manager has more information and is paid to make decisions. He will live and die by those decisions. He can be excused for hindsight, eg if non injury prone players get injured. I don’t see that is the case here.

Of course he did, just because Sturrock built the squad doesn't mean Brown didn't have to do anything, otherwise we would have finished outside the playoffs again like Sturrock did.

Sturrock only once finished outside the play-offs, his 1st season, when we finished 13th.

His 2nd season (when the floodlights failed at Aldershot and we missed out on automatic promotion by a point) we finished 4th.

He was then sacked when we were 9th (and of course Wembley bound). Under Brown we then finished the season down in 11th and Bradford, who were 11th when Sturrock was sacked and we played in Brown's first match, were promoted via the play-offs.

Jeez, why do people still bang on about us not going up because the floodlights failed and we were winning. Who knows what would have happened in the second half. What about Accrington's 90th minute equaliser at Roots Hall that cost us two points and that actually happened.

No it's not....He did nothing apart from steal Paul Sturocks send off.

He did nothing except get out of the league via the playoffs which Sturrock couldn't do. He then led us to a comfortable mid table finish and last season we missed out on the playoffs in the last five minutes of the season. Too much sherry Cricko?

He did nothing except get out of the league via the playoffs which Sturrock couldn't do. He then led us to a comfortable mid table finish and last season we missed out on the playoffs in the last five minutes of the season. Too much sherry Cricko?

Personally I think he has, in Ron's eyes, not produced the goods in each of the seasons he has been here.

He has improved our position marginally each year but the Chairman wants promotion and has , especially this season, supported Brown with transfer finances.

Ron cannot be happy.

I think that's unfair on Sturrock. A week before his first season started we had 6 players! Don't you remember that?

True but he did not take us up.

He would have done if RM hadn’t got cold sweats hearing fan criticism WHEN WE WERE TOP OF THE TABLE and instructed Sturrock to play a more “entertaining” style of football. That started the decline in form which saw us slip out of the autos.

Find it easier to deal in facts, you can't be sure we'd have gone up but Mr Brown did take us up.

Saw earlier on Twitter that someone posted a photo of PB apparently out late last night, looking as if he was enjoying himself and asking how the players can get motivated when he sets that kind of example? Fair point I think.

That's ridiculous. I'm no Brown apologist but the man is entitled to a social life outside of work and the group of players he tries to rely on are certainly old enough not to need someone telling them how to behave. There are more than enough legitimate reasons to bash Brown without having a go at him for nonsense like this.

I was not aware of what would have then been the on-going Wordsworth case when I commented. I think this puts comments about the need to set an example in a somewhat different light. I'd like to retract the comments about it being ridiculous and apologise to Kay. I still though maintain he has a right to a social life outside of work.

I was not aware of what would have then been the on-going Wordsworth case when I commented. I think this puts comments about the need to set an example in a somewhat different light. I'd like to retract the comments about it being ridiculous and apologise to Kay. I still though maintain he has a right to a social life outside of work.

Matt, no apology needed, I was quite clear in my comment saying "apparently" - and I absolutely agree that they are all entitled to a social life outside of work, just sometimes I think a bit of common sense goes a long way. Poor Ron must seriously think about knocking the Christmas parties on the head - they've been more trouble than they're worth!

Out of interest, who would most of us rather have in the crowd 'with us' after they have managed their final game (on the basis that Brown may go soon ). Sturrock for me !

True but he did not take us up.

PB has had success with us. A promotion and an improved table position each season. Those facts are beyond doubt. The question, which can never really be answered, is did he do as much as he could have done with the squad he had at his disposal? For me, and many others, the answer is no. He has presided over constant inconsistency. We generally have a good run of results but it is sandwiched between bad runs. If anyone, not withstanding our current position, thinks we are still progressing then I would certainly not agree with them. The recruitment has not worked, well that's a lottery anyway, the play is abject, the level of performance is embarrassing, 'trials' and tribulations abound and it's nigh on impossible to see whether the end of the problems is in sight.

PB has done his bit, thank you, but for whatever reason, he appears incapable of steadying this storm swept ship. Change needs to come now before we sink.

Back