• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[QUOTE He is a good manager, but his character has always rubbed certain of our supporters up the wrong way.Yes, I agree, although I think he seems rather depressed now and disenchanted with the players he's brought in. He's relied on their Premiership experience and they have by and large let him down. I would urge him to put his faith in Wabo and maybe one or two more of the youngsters. Use White and Timlin as the experienced heads because they both give 100%. He needs to shake himself down, take a look in the mirror and convince himself that this is the job that he wants and that he'll enjoy the challenge of keeping us in the division. He also needs to be very careful indeed who he gets to join us in the January window. Brown IS a good manager at this level, but can he rekindle the fire......?

If you watch the third goal , one of them isn't giving 100% to get back. He could of even stood on the goal line and cleared Revell's shot if he could be bothered.

For those that would like to escape some of the other threads for a little light relief.... here goes.

The omens weren't good after last weeks events and after a some change of plans, cars and other hurdles, including no full monty in the Attic we did make it to TFI Fridays (Its close to their ground) in good time. So our mood went up a few levels.

Most agreed with the side the only debate was could Timlin have started but it was a positive selection. Opening moments were even. Until they had a free-kick. If you remember last season the ref spotted a foul that never was and red carded JD. Well this season in almost the same place the ref doesn't see John-Jo- the-Tool haul down Turner. After its bundled off the line, young Harry smashes it against one of their lads and I think JJT gets the finest of touches to add to our list of bizarre, especially first goals, to concede this season.

At this point the main group of the younger lads behind our goal immediately turn on Brown but it was obviously coming. Not sure how a Brown out banner inspires your own team as they jog out, in fact there are a few amongst them, like Wordsworth, who don't need any excuse to have a day off.

That said and with very little encouragement the team did rally themselves and win a penalty. I have seen it on the TV and it looks a bit 50/50. But from behind the goal there was a clear space and there lad was never going to win the ball so it ended up looking like a head butt. If you notice their players know full well its pen. Their keeper kept saying and pointing to Demi that he knew where it was going (keepers left). Demi sends him the wrong way and there was a nice professional moment when after the celebrations Demi jogged over, smile and says something and the keeper gave a thumbs up.

From then on we had our best spell. If there Is one thing I have learnt from watching L1, it is this. No team dominates any game for 90 minutes, so when you do have a good 20, you have to make it count. We of course often don't. There were the usual three big sins......Overpassing in the final 3rd.....Not enough quality on the final ball....Failing to test the keeper with a shot on target.

Second half had barely begun before they get that pen. Coker should have easily cleared the ball but as he often does he would rather play his own team mate in trouble than have a precious pass completion stat go against him.

At this stage I was walking back to my seat so was right near the action. The Northampton 'boys' gather down in that corner so when I saw the foul and with the roar of their crowd and a lino furiously waving, I was convinced I'd heard a whistle. Harry has come in for stick for yesterdays performance but I can't see what he dome wrong. He just stands his ground.....Certainly doesn't stick a leg out, grab the player or even step in his way for some old fashioned obstruction. No matter the ref gave it and perhaps there was a touch of I'd better even it up.

Ox made a good effort but it was struck hard enough. From then on they got on top. Our weak area was of course the mid-field. Apart from the obvious man missing the Dru /Woody combo struggled. Dru played more defensive as did Woody but without to much of the defensive bit. So rather than one attacking one covering we had two men in no mans land. Kightly showed some nice touches but again overcomplicated things. Yes some of those cute disguised balls fool the defence....the problem is, they fool our forwards at the same time.

I thought it was correct option to bring on Timlin and McG as we were simple not going to create anything if you cant keep or win possession anywhere in Mid-field. Obviously some our fans needed no excuse and were enjoying singing along with their lot 'sacked in the morning' etc.

If your wondering why they broke so easy and the likes of Turner were nowhere to be seen while another ex scored the 3rd....Well we had a free-kick in a good area and what do we do.....Well go on youtube and watch that Bury game where Lenny does the tackle of the season at the start. Same player makes a mess of it, only this time there is no Lenny to cover.

Game management by so called professional players....2-1 down late in the game and with your CB who is actually a threat in their box and you do that.....First offence should be a fine of 2 weeks wages....Second offence the culprit should be forced to run the gauntlet.....with every player, including down to under 8's at the club, forced to take part.

So after the week we have just had that game was always going to be tuff. We didn't play well going forward and its obvious we will be looking to address that situation this week.

For what its worth if I was chairman I would not be looking to spend any money this January regardless of who is managing the team. That would be much better spent in the summer because there will be others I would not be looking to keep in my club. No I don't think we will go down but we certainly need to freshen things up.

Yes we made an honourable decision not to have loanees in and give our young lads a chance. Which was a decision that was overwhelmingly called for and backed by the fans......Now is the time due to a multitude of reasons to bring in at least 3 lads that can play comfortably at this level immediately......I would look to shop as high as possible and do a deal where against the normal SUFC protocol, I would guarantee a striker and a mid-fielder, even two of them a starting place because there is not one of the outfield players after the departure of Lenny who could argue with that.....If they did they can train with the under 18's until their release in the summer.

Now we do have a man who could arrange that sort of deal but due to the current outrage by some of our fans that will be a difficult task ahead. Still lets all chill out, enjoy a Sunday roast with the family and save some venom because there will be more news in the next week... Which will I'm sure anger some, disappoint others and bring bundles of joy to a few.

Yours in honest faith as always....Rigsby.

Insightful as to the players and their application. I am also in total agreement that we should not splash too much cash in this window. Rarely does January offer any bargains or even wanted players. I think the decision to allow Lenny to move on, so early in the window, underlines that we are no longing targeting the play-off's, rightly so. It does strike me though that we need some blood in from somewhere because I have little faith in the lads we are fielding to comfortably stave off relegation.

As for PB, I still think he has had his time with us, but, BUT, I do believe he assembled a squad with certain players that he genuinely thought would improve the team. Hindsight has shown him to be wrong but worse than that, the players he gave opportunity to, have repaid him et tu brute style. I do not believe he deserves that. If he could forgo his tendency to look at players with past pedigree, that are nothing more than pay packet pinchers, and could bring in some grafters that can keep us up, then I would back him to do so. In that, I think he needs to apolgise wholeheartedly to the fans, hold his hands up for his part in the situation and send out a team that can roll its sleeves up and do the business. Oh, and shut the F up about clean sheets. We need a mentality where we are taking it to the opposition and not thinking about negating their play before implementing our own.

Been some excellent posts on this thread today! :clap::thumbsup:

For those that would like to escape some of the other threads for a little light relief.... here goes.

The omens weren't good after last weeks events and after a some change of plans, cars and other hurdles, including no full monty in the Attic we did make it to TFI Fridays (Its close to their ground) in good time. So our mood went up a few levels.

Most agreed with the side the only debate was could Timlin have started but it was a positive selection. Opening moments were even. Until they had a free-kick. If you remember last season the ref spotted a foul that never was and red carded JD. Well this season in almost the same place the ref doesn't see John-Jo- the-Tool haul down Turner. After its bundled off the line, young Harry smashes it against one of their lads and I think JJT gets the finest of touches to add to our list of bizarre, especially first goals, to concede this season.

At this point the main group of the younger lads behind our goal immediately turn on Brown but it was obviously coming. Not sure how a Brown out banner inspires your own team as they jog out, in fact there are a few amongst them, like Wordsworth, who don't need any excuse to have a day off.

That said and with very little encouragement the team did rally themselves and win a penalty. I have seen it on the TV and it looks a bit 50/50. But from behind the goal there was a clear space and there lad was never going to win the ball so it ended up looking like a head butt. If you notice their players know full well its pen. Their keeper kept saying and pointing to Demi that he knew where it was going (keepers left). Demi sends him the wrong way and there was a nice professional moment when after the celebrations Demi jogged over, smile and says something and the keeper gave a thumbs up.

From then on we had our best spell. If there Is one thing I have learnt from watching L1, it is this. No team dominates any game for 90 minutes, so when you do have a good 20, you have to make it count. We of course often don't. There were the usual three big sins......Overpassing in the final 3rd.....Not enough quality on the final ball....Failing to test the keeper with a shot on target.

Second half had barely begun before they get that pen. Coker should have easily cleared the ball but as he often does he would rather play his own team mate in trouble than have a precious pass completion stat go against him.

At this stage I was walking back to my seat so was right near the action. The Northampton 'boys' gather down in that corner so when I saw the foul and with the roar of their crowd and a lino furiously waving, I was convinced I'd heard a whistle. Harry has come in for stick for yesterdays performance but I can't see what he dome wrong. He just stands his ground.....Certainly doesn't stick a leg out, grab the player or even step in his way for some old fashioned obstruction. No matter the ref gave it and perhaps there was a touch of I'd better even it up.

Ox made a good effort but it was struck hard enough. From then on they got on top. Our weak area was of course the mid-field. Apart from the obvious man missing the Dru /Woody combo struggled. Dru played more defensive as did Woody but without to much of the defensive bit. So rather than one attacking one covering we had two men in no mans land. Kightly showed some nice touches but again overcomplicated things. Yes some of those cute disguised balls fool the defence....the problem is, they fool our forwards at the same time.

I thought it was correct option to bring on Timlin and McG as we were simple not going to create anything if you cant keep or win possession anywhere in Mid-field. Obviously some our fans needed no excuse and were enjoying singing along with their lot 'sacked in the morning' etc.

If your wondering why they broke so easy and the likes of Turner were nowhere to be seen while another ex scored the 3rd....Well we had a free-kick in a good area and what do we do.....Well go on youtube and watch that Bury game where Lenny does the tackle of the season at the start. Same player makes a mess of it, only this time there is no Lenny to cover.

Game management by so called professional players....2-1 down late in the game and with your CB who is actually a threat in their box and you do that.....First offence should be a fine of 2 weeks wages....Second offence the culprit should be forced to run the gauntlet.....with every player, including down to under 8's at the club, forced to take part.

So after the week we have just had that game was always going to be tuff. We didn't play well going forward and its obvious we will be looking to address that situation this week.

For what its worth if I was chairman I would not be looking to spend any money this January regardless of who is managing the team. That would be much better spent in the summer because there will be others I would not be looking to keep in my club. No I don't think we will go down but we certainly need to freshen things up.

Yes we made an honourable decision not to have loanees in and give our young lads a chance. Which was a decision that was overwhelmingly called for and backed by the fans......Now is the time due to a multitude of reasons to bring in at least 3 lads that can play comfortably at this level immediately......I would look to shop as high as possible and do a deal where against the normal SUFC protocol, I would guarantee a striker and a mid-fielder, even two of them a starting place because there is not one of the outfield players after the departure of Lenny who could argue with that.....If they did they can train with the under 18's until their release in the summer.

Now we do have a man who could arrange that sort of deal but due to the current outrage by some of our fans that will be a difficult task ahead. Still lets all chill out, enjoy a Sunday roast with the family and save some venom because there will be more news in the next week... Which will I'm sure anger some, disappoint others and bring bundles of joy to a few.

Yours in honest faith as always....Rigsby.

Spot on re their penalty, the Coker analysis, the substitutions and your previous comments about the pitch hindering our ability to borrow promising youngsters.

Re the loanees, all of the Cobblers fans I spoke to were concerned about the number of loanees in their team. They were concerned that the loanees wouldn't be too bothered if Northampton were relegated because they wouldn't be there next season.

What the majority of Blues fans who were at the game probably didn't see (I was on the half way line) was that the Tool should definitely have been sent off very early in the game for deliberately kicking Demitriou on the back of the leg right by the touch line when they were attacking. That would have made it a very different game.

Interestingly JD exacted his revenge on the Tool shortly afterwards and avoided a certain booking, probably because the referee had by then realised his error.

What the majority of Blues fans who were at the game probably didn't see (I was on the half way line) was that the Tool should definitely have been sent off very early in the game for deliberately kicking Demitriou on the back of the leg right by the touch line when they were attacking. That would have made it a very different game.

Interestingly JD exacted his revenge on the Tool shortly afterwards and avoided a certain booking, probably because the referee had by then realised his error.

Exactly as Glenn Pennyfather saw it - and said so in the commentary.
Both penalties looked joke decisions.

From my angle ours looked a definite penalty as the defender appeared to unnecessarily barge SM off the ball.

For their penalty it looked to be their attacker throwing himself at Harry and I was amazed at the decision.

Again, small margins.

From my angle ours looked a definite penalty as the defender appeared to unnecessarily barge SM off the ball.

For their penalty it looked to be their attacker throwing himself at Harry and I was amazed at the decision.

Again, small margins.

Yes, that's exactly what hubby said, I thought Harry did commit a foul.

Spot on re their penalty, the Coker analysis, the substitutions and your previous comments about the pitch hindering our ability to borrow promising youngsters.

Re the loanees, all of the Cobblers fans I spoke to were concerned about the number of loanees in their team. They were concerned that the loanees wouldn't be too bothered if Northampton were relegated because they wouldn't be there next season.

Thanks for the view on Tool. I couldn't see what had happened from behind the goal but there was a strong reaction from our players. The fact that he hauled Turner down for their first goal makes it worse.

Coker annoyed me because he had done that twice in the first half. One of then he had time to clear down the line but squared Harry a real tight pointless pass in his own area. All Harry could do was snatch at a poor clearance to the groans of some of our fans

I noticed him bollocking Harry for that clearance that ended up in the net. Yet if Coker had been sharp and stepped up he could of played JJT offside. Or failing that pick the young lad up and play it down as a fluke rather than make it worse.

Yes, the O'Toole incident happened right in front of me. It was definitely deliberate and nasty. The ref didn't see it and nor did the lino. Worthy of a booking certainly - but a sending off? Probably not. Unfortunately Demi was rolling in agony off the pitch so the game was hardly interrupted.

A Northampton view of the match: https://tinyurl.com/ybwkxtsf

Seems a perfectly fair summary to me.

This could be Another Surrey Shrimper style tour of the rail network from Diss to Northampton via Euston (was that OBL on the train from Euston?) but I will save you that. Suffice to say that we had a great day of hospitality courtesy of the Blues- supporting deputy Vice- Chancellor of the NTFC, the main sponsors of the club. Good to meet up with a host of folks from Fitzwimarc and Sweyne who were fellow guests. Even went on the pitch for the pre-match formalities and pics. (Michael Turner is a massive bloke who with that stature perhaps should score more). Our fellow guests from NT were not confident before the game but all knew that we were on a shocking run. The general view amongst us Blues fans was that this would only go one way. And so it proved.

Barling's helpful link to the report means that I need say no more about the match because the report is excellent. But it did omit the assault on Demi by JJ which somehow was missed by the officials. When the first goal went in PB wheeled around in anguish, the look on his face saying well if I get the boot after a goal like that then there is no justice. Until Dru was withdrawn, PB spent much of the time bellowing his trademark bark at the lad, much to the amusement of the home crowd. But it is right to say that Dru's first touch was off, but then so much of our play fell well below the standards which the watching RM must have been dreaming of when he allowed PB to bring in certain players in the summer. Noted a brief chat between Anton and RM in the stand at HT.

This was my first match since the autumn. Saw nothing to fill me with any optimism that the dreadful trot will end soon. Ron must be a very worried man. His dream of getting out of this league is over for another season. His nightmare of slipping out through the trap door at the other end of the table must be one he experiences with regularity.

Thanks for the hospitality Terry, shame about the football. On now to Fleetwood.....Bolger to score under the rule of the ex? Allowing him to leave after paying money for him remains yet another of PB's curious decisions. If he had stayed would we then have needed the likes of Anton and MT? But now I am straying into territory no doubt to be covered in another thread.

Until Dru was withdrawn, PB spent much of the time bellowing his trademark bark at the lad, much to the amusement of the home crowd. But it is right to say that Dru's first touch was off, but then so much of our play fell well below the standards which the watching RM must have been dreaming of when he allowed PB to bring in certain players in the summer.

Apart from the Checkatrade against Reading U23s Dru had always had Lenny in the side with him - I can imagine that Dru was being asked to paly a role with which he was totally unfamiliar with the off form Wordsworth playing alongside him.

If Timlin was fit enough for the bench he should have started.

Also very noticeable on ifollow.

Back