• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't do social media and never will do and don't love getting people the sack but I want Brown out of this club,his time is up,give me it straight KB what pigeon hole do I fit in.

Which is pretty shameful. I suspect no-one is more disappointed than the player when things don't go right- what will absolutely guaranteed not help players play better is personal abuse. Such people are not fans and in the more serious cases they should themselves be sacked by the club and given a ban.

That quite frankly is ridiculous. It has always been a point of fans to abuse whoever they can when it suits....Shall we all just clap hands to all the players whether good or bad....The PC has gone stupid in the world today. We are the paying fans, we support in any way that suits us, good or bad we pay their wages..

That quite frankly is ridiculous. It has always been a point of fans to abuse whoever they can when it suits....Shall we all just clap hands to all the players whether good or bad....The PC has gone stupid in the world today. We are the paying fans, we support in any way that suits us, good or bad we pay their wages..

Perosnal abuse online is a bit out of order though john.

is that anything to do with PC? It's just different levels of politeness in dealing with people, no?

Jesus...Ok i have edited the post to conform in this new age of total ********.

The sad legacy of social media is that anyone can go online and personally abuse someone from the comfort of their own home with complete anonymity. It really is the scourge of modern society.

Maybe booing a player for not putting a shift in at a match is fair game or showing disgust at a gutless defeat, as we did back in the 70's by chucking cushions on the pitch, is fine. After all, it's part of the theatre of entertainment that is football. Players will laud it up when things are going well and will get the pantomime villain treatment when they are not. It's part of the showmanship of the sport.

However, dishing out online personal abuse to individuals is a step too far, IMHO. I've always been one to live by the maxim that if I said it out loud, would I say it to the person's face if questioned. Too many people would not and on that basis, in my view, don't have the right to do so online.

We know little or nothing about Ferdy's situation. What we do know is that he isn't playing to his potential this season. He probably feels and knows that more than anyone else, but he still feels affection for us lot. Always the last to leave the field and applaud those who remain in the ground as he does. A good professional who is going through a rough patch and has lost his mother in recent times, quite apart from the devastation that has happened to his brother, as well.

We might be paying their wages, but it damn sure doesn't give us the right to disrupt their private life. That I do know.

The sad legacy of social media is that anyone can go online and personally abuse someone from the comfort of their own home with complete anonymity. It really is the scourge of modern society.

Maybe booing a player for not putting a shift in at a match is fair game or showing disgust at a gutless defeat, as we did back in the 70's by chucking cushions on the pitch, is fine. After all, it's part of the theatre of entertainment that is football. Players will laud it up when things are going well and will get the pantomime villain treatment when they are not. It's part of the showmanship of the sport.

However, dishing out online personal abuse to individuals is a step too far, IMHO. I've always been one to live by the maxim that if I said it out loud, would I say it to the person's face if questioned. Too many people would not and on that basis, in my view, don't have the right to do so online.

We know little or nothing about Ferdy's situation. What we do know is that he isn't playing to his potential this season. He probably feels and knows that more than anyone else, but he still feels affection for us lot. Always the last to leave the field and applaud those who remain in the ground as he does. A good professional who is going through a rough patch and has lost his mother in recent times, quite apart from the devastation that has happened to his brother, as well.

We might be paying their wages, but it damn sure doesn't give us the right to disrupt their private life. That I do know.

Totally agree

I have to say Ferdinand and others have ruined my private life this year. My ardent romantic Saturday nights are a thing of the past since August. :Red card:

Well I don't do social media and never will do and don't love getting people the sack but I want Brown out of this club,his time is up,give me it straight KB what pigeon hole do I fit in.

Well I guess either the one that would like him sacked or perhaps not offered a new contract. You are entitled to you opinion- where I draw the line is abuse to manager, Ron, players etc.

The question nowadays are a majority will post on here, knowing they will never meet PB or AF, so they let off steam and it festers and hide behind the keyboard feeling proud that a few like minded posters do the same, maybe they meet up in the pub have a few beers and decide they can do better on Budgets, finding players in non league, massage the egos of some Big time Charlies to maximise effort
But they have every chance of either meeting the players at,club evening meetings or end of season presentation to go up to them and say how they feel, but they will not as its face to face, or even go down to the training ground and speak to them and tell them they are crap, useless, **** off to another club, retire, but I guarantee they will not
I find it hard to fathom the mental attitude, I pay my money I choose how to support them, whether abuse or clapping.
I liken this to going to a cinema or theatre, you pay your money you watch the film or play to the end, and I certainly donot want a ******** after twenty minutes shouting "Its ****" **** off Tom Cruise, you not interest in the script only the money, nor " Get off stage David Tennant your Hamlet is awlful, go back to Dr Who", the simple way is to walk out and let those that choose to watch the game and support the team through thick and thin

I donot go with the theory that football is different to any other past time, end of the day if its causing you stress and your blood pressure is topping 155 on match day, time to look for something else

I bet these same supporters who now are backing Kevin Maher, where the ones who had banners over the upper South stand with MAHER OUT and Alvin Martin Follow, many moons ago

UTS

I donot go with the theory that football is different to any other past time, end of the day if its causing you stress and your blood pressure is topping 155 on match day, time to look for something else

Guess that's where we're different - supporting Southend has never been a 'past time' for me. It has been an integral part of my life for over 45 years.

However, I do agree that under the current Management it maybe is "time to look for something else" so thank you for the guidance.

Well said Blueronron, we are only 2 wins from the top half yet some of the people on here have accepted relegation already. Others are praying for failure as the have done for the years now. If was PB it would be Ron or the next manger they hate.

The real disappointing thing is the whole anti club, anti anyone positive is now going personal and people have decided to avoid the site.

Well said Blueronron, we are only 2 wins from the top half yet some of the people on here have accepted relegation already. Others are praying for failure as the have done for the years now. If was PB it would be Ron or the next manger they hate.

The real disappointing thing is the whole anti club, anti anyone positive is now going personal and people have decided to avoid the site.

Not true as I just checked and in the 2 months from Novemeber the 17th to today, traffic is actually up 22% on the site.

I am sure PB knows better than anyone else that there is no room for sentiment in professional soccer. It is a business, and it is a results oriented business at that. 7 defeats in 8 games is bound to invite criticism not only from the 'usual suspects' but from other supporters who are genuinely worried that the club is on the slippery slope to relegation.

Not true as I just checked and in the 2 months from Novemeber the 17th to today, traffic is actually up 22% on the site.

I would guess it is. If we lose there always is more traffic.

I'm talking about people who have sent a PM or similar, spoke to me at a game and have decided to avoid the zone. People who's one contribution a week was far more interesting than people who count down every hour in January with the same posts or hi-jack every football thread with their own pointless agenda.

This spills into the stands on match days even our young players are now looking round at the same angry faces. The abuse of Ferdinand on Saturday was shameful. One guy a few of us had an eye on literally foams at the mouth to all things Anton. Some are now convinced he is racist and yes the young black lads do look over at him.

No one has any right what so ever to make 17 year olds feel uncomfortable at their place of work and from what I hear Mr vile and Angry might have to answer to someone very soon......So watch this space.

If players have a duty to us then so do we have a duty to them......Without that, for me there is no football.

UTS

I disagree; supporting a sports team involves a level of emotional attachment quite different from other 'leisure' activities. An afternoon (say) down the bowling alley with the kids might be more reliable in terms of a fun time for all, but you just don't get the same ups and downs.

Of course, far better that people show the team their full support while in the stands and I can't remember booing the team since the dark days at the end of Alvin Martin's reign of terrible, but I can understand the frustrations people are feeling right now.

By the way wouldn't it be nice if some of you could drop the personal hate and say for the good of the club we will support until the end of the season and then PB can go...Just like I did as young man, even when we were relegated.

Even Rigsby would back you then. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back