• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

San Diego/Las Vegas/San Francisco/LA

Foley's Bar on O'Farrell Street in San Francisco is a must.

Penn & Teller show at the Rio in Vegas.

Go to the Grand Canyon, it is a hell of a lot better than any photo that you've seen.

LA, just don't go there.

Foley's Bar on O'Farrell Street in San Francisco is a must.

Penn & Teller show at the Rio in Vegas.

Go to the Grand Canyon, it is a hell of a lot better than any photo that you've seen.

LA, just don't go there.

I think LA is the type of place where it's a lot more fun to go with someone local. I wouldn't really like it as a tourist I don't think apart from the usual cheesy things. It was more fun going with LA colleagues and clients.

I think LA is the type of place where it's a lot more fun to go with someone local. I wouldn't really like it as a tourist I don't think apart from the usual cheesy things. It was more fun going with LA colleagues and clients.

Surely the same as every other city? I never left Manhattan when I went to NYC and did all the usual tourist things. Didn't spend much time in LA, did the usual things....and ended up driving through Compton :stunned:. It was deserted.

Surely the same as every other city? I never left Manhattan when I went to NYC and did all the usual tourist things. Didn't spend much time in LA, did the usual things....and ended up driving through Compton :stunned:. It was deserted.
Doesn't your post explain why they're different? Manhattan is much smaller (still massive) compared to 'LA' and getting from downtown/hollywood/venice beach and loads of other places is all a massive pain in the arse. public transport is terrible and the sprawl is just endless. You could be on manhattan alone for weeks and still not scratch the surface in terms of a tourist experience. rely on walking/the subway and stumble upon loads of things to do, it's a much more tourist friendly place.

Doesn't your post explain why they're different? Manhattan is much smaller (still massive) compared to 'LA' and getting from downtown/hollywood/venice beach and loads of other places is all a massive pain in the arse. public transport is terrible and the sprawl is just endless. You could be on manhattan alone for weeks and still not scratch the surface in terms of a tourist experience. rely on walking/the subway and stumble upon loads of things to do, it's a much more tourist friendly place.

I meant that NYC is more than Manhattan. With a local guide I would of happily gone to one of the other boroughs, but on my own it was a little bit overwhelming.

Did Vegas and the Grand Canyon in November 2016 as our honeymoon - had always wanted to visit Vegas- not because of the gambling thing just always wanted to see how bonkers this city in the middle of the desert really was! I’m just repeating what others have said but these are my recommendations :

The Stratosphere /revolving restaurant - we timed it so we ate as the sun went down to get the best of day/night views - always entertaining as people fly past your window on a bit of rope as you eat!

The Skyfall Lounge - stunning view from the other end of the strip and a very relaxed vibe.

The Bellagio fountains obviously!

The Siegfried and Roy tigers at the Mirage - Siegfried himself was actually there when we went in and was more than happy to chat with any and everyone!

Eat at Hash House A Go Go - I can recommend the chicken and waffles!

The Vegas sign obviously!

We stayed at the Grand Canyon village for a night -again saw it sunset and sunrise (well a small part of it!) and it is quite simply breathtaking- don’t think any picture taken can substitute seeing it with your own eyes! Also once darkness falls the wildlife and deer literally come wandering around the paths around the hotels.

I think when we go back will probably do something similar to yourself and drive LA- San Fran - Yosemite - Vegas.

When are you travelling 'England'?

I'd echo a lot of what's been said.

Alcatraz definitely book early. At least two weeks or so. The Audio Tour is excellent.

Toss up where to stay in SF. Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf both have plus points. I stayed on the Wharf.

The Cable Cars are a must and if you get the chance go over the bridge to Sausalito. Fantastic place. Scoma's Restaurant is pricey there, but well worth it :-

http://www.scomassausalito.com/

On the way back, as 'Pubey' mentions, take the slip road up to Marin Point. If you go right to the top the views are something else. Same with Twin Peaks in the city :-

https://www.nps.gov/goga/marin-headlands.htm

Driving from Vegas to SF, I'd do it the other way. Start in Vegas and drive to San Diego and just drive the whole coast road to SF. You can add Yosemite as a side trip.

Plenty of overnight stop off points en-route or just lunchtime visits. Santa Monica for LA and then maybe Solvang, Pismo Beach and Monterey. Santa Cruz, even.

Definite must is the Nepenthe Restaurant on the Big Sur. Extraordinary views :-

https://www.nepenthe.com/

Have fun, mate. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Andy.

We are travelling in middle of Feb so a lot of planning going on thanks to some great recomendations on here!

Back