• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The NHS thread

I like everything in there. The only things I would add/ change are
Student nurse - should pay zero uni fees. Today they pay full fees AND they are working several days a week within the NHS within weeks of starting uni- for no pay- how can that be fair?

Re your points on “socially” gained issues. I totally agree. You can fix the health service in one stroke- don’t treat overweight people who could avoid being overweight. So the real focus should be- how do stop people being overweight, This is far more important than anything else- but no one has got the bottle to say it in these terms, yet all of the data proves it-
you only have to look at the NHS budget for diabetes, and the split between what could be cured with diet and exercise.

The focus is in the wrong place at present.

people won’t change as they feel entitled to it and it’s “free” in their eyes

Ok why stop there

Smokers who have cancer .shall we let them die, how about people who get involved in needless fights,should we stop patching them up and wasting hours in treatment rooms
How about drunks who waste hours in AE because they cannot say no to one last drink
Diabetes who still drink and eat sweet, when told not too, druggies who overdose lets let them die outside

Bring back the old style Matrons to run wards and the budgets, let nurses do there jobs and cut out the petty bureaucracy, we need to build more hospitals or re vamp old closed ones, this will take the strain off the doctors in what few hospitals that are left
We now have Basildon, once upon a time Orsett was fully operational and then we had Billericay to assist with overflow/emergencies

UTS

Whilst I agree somewhat there is no way you can feasibly prove this beyond doubt and as such it is a complete non starter. Some people have psychological reasons behind their eating habits and weight and unfortunately people can fake it to get treatment. The complexity of any legislation to put this into force would be ridiculous, it just won't happen. Your last line is spot on and it is a problem, I just don't think there is a workable solution.

Very true within current society norms and the feeling of entitlement. Things won't change overnight and it really needs an all party all society approach to happen - slowly - and little by little.
Drugs can in many cases help people live with the diabetes, blood pressure etc, BUT it is the cause that needs sorting out. If, for example, an obese person (i.e not such as tangles) can not loose a kilo minimum per fortnight when their life is at risk why is our society seemingly helping them slowly torture and harm themselves instead of fixing the problem with, admitadly, some tough help?

Hey Chaps!

The main issue I have with the NHS and Hospitals is that so many of the nurses are fat. Not only fat - not one of them has decent hair. It's all thin, lank and in dire need of some volume and style.
And what's with all the flat shoes?
How about a heel or stiletto here or there, maybe a low cut top tastefully showing off some cleavage? It's not rocket surgery.
If they can't be bothered making themselves presentable for their customers, then they won't get much sympathy from me.
I'm sure Jeremy Hunt is doing his best, but when dealing with this level of frumpiness, he's got no chance.

I like everything in there. The only things I would add/ change are
Student nurse - should pay zero uni fees. Today they pay full fees AND they are working several days a week within the NHS within weeks of starting uni- for no pay- how can that be fair?
As you know until last year the tuition fee for a Nurses University course was £3,000 per annum. Obviously it costs a lot more than that to train a Nurse and someone has to pay. All that has happened in reality is the numbers have been shuffled around.
There is very little chance a Nurse will ever pay off the current £27,000 University fee. A student nurse will probably also claim the maximum student 'loan' which can be up to about another £24,000 over the 3 years.

I think the average starting wage for a Nurse is about £23,000 so under current rules they would only be paying back £40 per month. Not even enough to cover the interest. Even if you earn £35,000 you are only paying back about £130 per month.
Under the old rules about 40% of student loans will never be paid off, the current estimate is that over 60% will now never be paid off over the current 30 year limit. (That limit can be less for some mature students)

I can see a future Government writing off large volumes of these loans even before the 30 year time limit is reached.

As you know until last year the tuition fee for a Nurses University course was £3,000 per annum. Obviously it costs a lot more than that to train a Nurse and someone has to pay. All that has happened in reality is the numbers have been shuffled around.
There is very little chance a Nurse will ever pay off the current £27,000 University fee. A student nurse will probably also claim the maximum student 'loan' which can be up to about another £24,000 over the 3 years.

I think the average starting wage for a Nurse is about £23,000 so under current rules they would only be paying back £40 per month. Not even enough to cover the interest. Even if you earn £35,000 you are only paying back about £130 per month.
Under the old rules about 40% of student loans will never be paid off, the current estimate is that over 60% will now never be paid off over the current 30 year limit. (That limit can be less for some mature students)

I can see a future Government writing off large volumes of these loans even before the 30 year time limit is reached.
the non payment defense just means that the debt doesn't show up in our national debt figures for 30 years so its a delayed problem for someone else to deal with - plus the 6% interest when the base rate is 0.5%
As you say it will need to be written off and added to our debt.

the non payment defense just means that the debt doesn't show up in our national debt figures for 30 years so its a delayed problem for someone else to deal with - plus the 6% interest when the base rate is 0.5%
As you say it will need to be written off and added to our debt.
Just seen that that threshold repayment amount is going up from £21,000 to £25,000 from this April and then rising by inflation every following year. New figures show that 83% of loans will never be repaid in full. So in real terms for most people the loans are interest free.

Back