• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ryan Leonard

Wilder. Leonard is easily good enough for the championship with the right manager. Lenny has a great attitude to match his talent. Right man will turn him into an even better player. Wilder. I sense, will not be that man IMO. Don’t believe it’s the right club for Lenny.

Who, Wilder or Leonard?

Wilder. Leonard is easily good enough for the championship with the right manager. Lenny has a great attitude to match his talent. Right man will turn him into an even better player. Wilder. I sense, will not be that man IMO. Don’t believe it’s the right club for Lenny.

Sadly, I agree. Neil Harris wouldn't have done this to him.

He’s getting slated on Sheff U forum. Have to say I’m surprised he’s not started well there - can’t remember the last bad game he had for us so it’s weird.

Baffled why Wilder expended so much on getting Leonard then seemingly doesn't really know what to do him. Agree Millwall could be a better option.

Lenny has such a strong all round game however the area he isn't so good with is his technical ability on the ball with his control and passing, I wonder if this will be a problem for him at a higher level. It sounds as if one of their best players (Fleck) plays as the defensive midfielder, this is clearly Lenny's best position so playing him further up the pitch is not playing to his strengths. If his opportunities playing in the defensive midfielder berth are limited it may be better for him to play at full back or centre back where he has performed well for us in the past with his pace and strong tackling skills. It's early days for him at Sheffield though so they may not see the best of him until next season.

Thankfully for us Timlin has done a great job in replacing him in his old role and Dru Yearwood has come in and played fantastically well. When you see how comfortable on the ball Dru is at such a young age it does make you think he will have a great future in the game and be able to play at a higher level than Lenny due to his better technical ability.

Dare I say it, but he would have fitted in more at Millwall and been utilised better. I always think that when you get bought half way through a season you expect to be important. Doesn’t feel like great management to me. Don’t love Wilder as a manager though, think he’s riding a wave at the moment. Be gone by middle of next season...

Interesting statement. Wilder created that wave from a drip! His done a fantastic job for them so far.

Interesting statement. Wilder created that wave from a drip! His done a fantastic job for them so far.

Fair point, just not his biggest fan for whatever reason. Massive club sat there that needed turning round. Obviously, they really struggled to find the right man to do that for a while. Always felt a half decent manager should have been able to get them up and stable in the Championship. Was shocked it took so long.

They're playing him in a totally different way to how we did, I've said it from the off. He was our lynchpin and yet for them, he's a secondary player.

I read through the comments on their but and it's so frustrating to see some saying he'll be better off playing CB or RWB. NO! He came from there! If you had any idea what player you bought, play him where he did when you decided to buy him!

Lenny has such a strong all round game however the area he isn't so good with is his technical ability on the ball with his control and passing, I wonder if this will be a problem for him at a higher level. It sounds as if one of their best players (Fleck) plays as the defensive midfielder, this is clearly Lenny's best position so playing him further up the pitch is not playing to his strengths. If his opportunities playing in the defensive midfielder berth are limited it may be better for him to play at full back or centre back where he has performed well for us in the past with his pace and strong tackling skills. It's early days for him at Sheffield though so they may not see the best of him until next season.

Thankfully for us Timlin has done a great job in replacing him in his old role and Dru Yearwood has come in and played fantastically well. When you see how comfortable on the ball Dru is at such a young age it does make you think he will have a great future in the game and be able to play at a higher level than Lenny due to his better technical ability.

Totally agree with all of this, a lot of people on this forum complained we were playing Lenny too deep and that we should unleash him but really the spoiling role is what he's good at, and his passing simply isn't good enough to be more of a playmaker. Sure, he can surge from deep and has a decent long shot but if you're buying a fast, hard-working defensive midfielder with good positional awareness and tenacity, use him that way rather than as more of a playmaker.

Lenny has the athleticism and pace and power to play in the Premiership, however sadly the passing and technical ability of a League one player.

Played in the right position where his technical ability is not the most important aspect and he will make a very good championship midfielder. Play him in the wrong one, and he will be back with us in a season's time.

I think I may just message Chris Wilder and ask him to carry on as he is :smile:

Ive watched each of the games Lenny has played in and apart from one decent performance, I agree with the general view that he appears to be playing out of position and used differently. In fact he has looked a little unsure and almost lost, the ball hasnt exactly been played to him on numerous occasions as well when it could have. This takes a while to bed in.
However I believe things will change as he settles in. It reminds me of our first game of the season and the fortune paid for Dack. Dack was poor and substituted early and completely bottled up by us, he seemed to not know where to go or what to do and nerves also probably got the better of his confidence. His team mates didnt know how to make the best of him or play him into the game. After about a dozen games Dack has come in to his own and been outstanding, showing all his class, scoring goals freely , moving to be their second highest scorer, and showing just what a class act
he can be. So it wont surprise me as Lenny settles in and gains confidence, if he doesnt start to exercise the powerful;l all action MOM displays we know he is capable of !

On the bench again tonight

Not really surprising after their performance or lack of it against Hull. I reckon it will take the rest of this season and then a full pre-season for him to bed in and find his form. Given the lengths Wilder went to to sign him he must see potential in Lenny. It does go to show that the step up from FL1 to Championship can be very steep.

The great thing about Lenny is that he is so versatile ,should Wilder get injuries in other positions such as CB,RB etc Lenny would be a more than adequate fill in .Give him time he will become a regular in the sheffield side .

Lenny has the athleticism and pace and power to play in the Premiership, however sadly the passing and technical ability of a League one player.

Played in the right position where his technical ability is not the most important aspect and he will make a very good championship midfielder. Play him in the wrong one, and he will be back with us in a season's time.

I think I may just message Chris Wilder and ask him to carry on as he is :smile:

What would be the point of that ? we are going to be in the Championship next season aren't we ? ;)

Some interesting comments on the sheff utd forum. Like others have said on here, they are playing him out of position.

They watched him played for us so many times from I've heard so they will know what position and job he did for us. Perhaps they thought it would be better suited playing a more attacking role which is actually something I thought he could do really well for us. Perhaps he just can't do it as championship level.

Will be a real shame if it doesn't work out for him and no one can blame him for giving it a shot either. Hopefully with time he will improve plus from what I hear it's not always easy joining a new team in January especially going up a level where you have never played before.

Back