• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After yet another postponement @ Rochdale, the decision to re-lay a new pitch was taken, primarily for the benefit of Keith Hill and his team. There is no mention of Spurs making any sort of contribution, why should they?

Why should anyone outside of lower league clubs contribute to the upkeep of their pitch? Surely it's the responsibility of the Club itself to maintain the ground and surrounding areas.

They shouldn't but spurs offered to foot the bill. Presumably, if you have 100s of millions In talent you would want to pay 250k for a new pitch rather than risk injury.

They shouldn't but spurs offered to foot the bill. Presumably, if you have 100s of millions In talent you would want to pay 250k for a new pitch rather than risk injury.

Please show me where Spurs offered to pay the bill. If you look at the pictures of the pitch that the Millwall tie was played on, it was clearly dangerous to both teams and not fit for purpose. The following home game against Fleetwood was cancelled and it was then that Rochdale decided enough was enough, nothing to do with Spurs, it's Rochdale's pitch. BTW Rochdale FC have stated that the new pitch cost £500k.

I see today that the new relaid pitch at Rochdale is described as a 'billiard table'. If it holds up to actual playing time I wonder why we couldn't do the same here?

I think you will find it's down to £££s. I heard yesterday (from a source at the club) that although there was a sound reason for the groundsman's dismissal a certain chairman was far from upset at getting his salary off the wages bill. And no senior groundsman has been appointed since.

I think you will find it's down to £££s. I heard yesterday (from a source at the club) that although there was a sound reason for the groundsman's dismissal a certain chairman was far from upset at getting his salary off the wages bill. And no senior groundsman has been appointed since.

What do those blokes that fork about at half time actually do?

After yet another postponement @ Rochdale, the decision to re-lay a new pitch was taken, primarily for the benefit of Keith Hill and his team. There is no mention of Spurs making any sort of contribution, why should they?

Why should anyone outside of lower league clubs contribute to the upkeep of their pitch? Surely it's the responsibility of the Club itself to maintain the ground and surrounding areas.

There's no reason they should but it's great that they do. Wouldn't we love a great, new pitch at Man Ure's expense?
One moment people moan about the amount of money in the Prem', then moan that some has filtered into a lower league!

I think this is very much a matter of opinion. Most would say that Ken was very harshly treated. I believe the financial settlement would indicate this wasnt the case too.
I have said before that its just too much of a coincidence that the loss of Ken and the state of the pitch are not connected.
It is also true that no new head groundsman has been appointed.

I think this is very much a matter of opinion. Most would say that Ken was very harshly treated. I believe the financial settlement would indicate this wasnt the case too.
I have said before that its just too much of a coincidence that the loss of Ken and the state of the pitch are not connected.
It is also true that no new head groundsman has been appointed.

Yes, perhaps I should have said "a sound reason in the chairman's view". From what I understand the groundsman didn't do what he was asked/told to do but, if what I heard is correct, it was a highly unreasonable demand in the first place.

Yes, perhaps I should have said "a sound reason in the chairman's view". From what I understand the groundsman didn't do what he was asked/told to do but, if what I heard is correct, it was a highly unreasonable demand in the first place.

I had heard that the groundsman was supplied with heaters that did not do the job, perhaps cheap and inefficient.

Love our pitch playing fantastic on it and winning games! Any chance of keeping it for next season?

Surely they had a better chance on the mud

I think he meant if Spurs win it would be a sound investment for them (if they did indeed pay for the relaying).

Yep 'overseas' has it right. I did mean Spurs.

My views are that SKY pump tons of money into football and even have the cheek to "cover" the lower leagues when they've got nothing better to show. Like tonight, for example.

Thus, why not agree with the PL that some of the money goes to the proper development of football further down the pyramid. Like having decent pitches and so on.

At the moment, we have a PL player on loan and so do many others. Surely Spurs wouldn't want him twisting an ankle on a crap pitch.

My understanding on the sacking of Ken and what I recall at the time was that he was accused of not preparing for the previous night's frost on the basis he didn't think the temperature would go that low. That, IIRC, was part of the news coverage at the time and the interview on BBC Essex with his wife, who alluded to that.

My understanding on the sacking of Ken and what I recall at the time was that he was accused of not preparing for the previous night's frost on the basis he didn't think the temperature would go that low. That, IIRC, was part of the news coverage at the time and the interview on BBC Essex with his wife, who alluded to that.

That's probably why he didn't want to sit up all night at Roots Hall.

Back