• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues beat Posh in entertaining cup clash

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United under 23 coach Kevin Maher praised his side’s attacking talents following an entertaining 4-3 win against Peterborough in the Central League Cup.

More...

Peterborough just buy their talented kids, we breed ours!

Nice thought, unfortunately Klass comes from Qpr, kypriano from Watford, Theo originally Watford, Bwomono from Uganda etc

Ba from France , so 5 of that team not from around Southend , that's without looking at the others, although don't get me wrong a goodly chunk are our youngsters and we are doing brilliantly on this front. Wonder why Yearwood was subbed.

But wait...I thought we didn’t sign young hungry players.......and we need to copy Peterborough?

Norman didn't get a run out, I wonder why , I would have thought it would have helped to keep his confidence up with the opportunity to keep his goalscoring run going

Its tough for every youngster and parents! My grandson since the age of FIVE has been doing very well at Spurs. Hes turned up regularly performed well met Pottachini etc. Week after week a great experience for him and some of the time at the main grounds rather than satellite. Satellite grounds are the hardest because that means parents are driving in and out of central London during the week as well at night taking ages.
Throughout all this time desperate Parents standing on the touchline have to get used to the "cull " every other week. You are seldom told why your youngster has got the chop and its heartbreaking for some of them. The lad did very well month after month watching his teammates get the chop. His mum could barely take it. He got down to the final 3 in his cohort, came third and out you go, only 2 from the many made the next grade up , where eventually a pre- contract at 9 may be on the cards.
What happens next? He is now shining at both Millwall and Charltonyoung academies and catching up with all the other lads and parents doing the same rounds. Of course Im Quite pleased hes at Millwall at one level because of Barratt and Harris, Southend is too far from Brockley!!
In some ways its quite viscous and bloody hard work for parents ( and Grandads ) to keep up the effort to get to grounds 3 or 4 times a week. The same chop processes exist, so far hes still there. I only mention this because it gives some insight into the pressures, even for virtually toddlers and it is unsurprising when you witness some of this that at 15 years the occassional youngster given the chop, resorts to tragic self harm and sometimes as recently in the press is so damaged by years of the process they end it all!!

Nice thought, unfortunately Klass comes from Qpr, kypriano from Watford, Theo originally Watford, Bwomono from Uganda etc

We signed Elvis from Uganda? I'm pretty sure he would have been denied a work permit if that was the case, there are pretty strict rules about taking youth kids from other countries. I think he just has relatives from Uganda, his accent gives the impression he was born in England (or at least moved here at a very early age).

Yes I think you are right southend kid I was merely trying to highlight that quite a number of our yoofs were not actually bred here or born here, some came quite late to the area, I wasnt trying to make a big thing of it. Elvis was born in Uganda. We do pick up some good youngsters from other academies when they are bunged out, Id love my grandson to come our way but doubt it will happen hes too turned on to Spurs although my daughter is Southend thru and thru her partner isnt.

We signed Elvis from Uganda? I'm pretty sure he would have been denied a work permit if that was the case, there are pretty strict rules about taking youth kids from other countries. I think he just has relatives from Uganda, his accent gives the impression he was born in England (or at least moved here at a very early age).

Does not seem to stop Madonna and her family:smile:

Norman didn't get a run out, I wonder why , I would have thought it would have helped to keep his confidence up with the opportunity to keep his goalscoring run going

If he's in the plans for Saturday he needs to be training with the firsts. Playing Tuesday would take him out of Tuesday and Wednesday's training.

Its tough for every youngster and parents! My grandson since the age of FIVE has been doing very well at Spurs. Hes turned up regularly performed well met Pottachini etc. Week after week a great experience for him and some of the time at the main grounds rather than satellite. Satellite grounds are the hardest because that means parents are driving in and out of central London during the week as well at night taking ages.
Throughout all this time desperate Parents standing on the touchline have to get used to the "cull " every other week. You are seldom told why your youngster has got the chop and its heartbreaking for some of them. The lad did very well month after month watching his teammates get the chop. His mum could barely take it. He got down to the final 3 in his cohort, came third and out you go, only 2 from the many made the next grade up , where eventually a pre- contract at 9 may be on the cards.
What happens next? He is now shining at both Millwall and Charltonyoung academies and catching up with all the other lads and parents doing the same rounds. Of course Im Quite pleased hes at Millwall at one level because of Barratt and Harris, Southend is too far from Brockley!!
In some ways its quite viscous and bloody hard work for parents ( and Grandads ) to keep up the effort to get to grounds 3 or 4 times a week. The same chop processes exist, so far hes still there. I only mention this because it gives some insight into the pressures, even for virtually toddlers and it is unsurprising when you witness some of this that at 15 years the occassional youngster given the chop, resorts to tragic self harm and sometimes as recently in the press is so damaged by years of the process they end it all!!

you living near me mate?

Back