• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Surely the question should be not whether we would be happy with Chris Powell but whether he would take a risk to manage us.

We already have some of you thinking getting a well funded Charlton team promoted means he will do the same for us.

That optimism is not wanted on the Zone.

The answer to your question will probably be yes, risk worth taking. He hasn't managed in a while, so it will be a challenge for his reputation, he has a soft spot for the club, and at long last, maybe, the stadium could be on the verge of happening. All of those things will be attractive to him.

Then why did he not start today.....Not top of out list? Or maybe doesn't want to spoil his reputation and the two way soft spot the fans have with him.

Chris Powell has always been my favourite player.

Do I think he’s the best choice? Personally I’d like the Cowley’s or maybe Grayson.

That said, I think he’d still be a good choice and we could do a hell of a lot worse. One of the main arguments for keeping PB was fair, in that we may not be able to replace him. I think being able to move in CP and that argument would have been dead in the water

I can't forgive Grayson for his arrogant comment after a 0-0 draw here, when he was manager at Leeds.

Something along the lines of "Southend will be pleased with that result, as it's like a Cup Final for them".

Chris Powell has always been my favourite player.

Do I think he’s the best choice? Personally I’d like the Cowley’s or maybe Grayson.

That said, I think he’d still be a good choice and we could do a hell of a lot worse. One of the main arguments for keeping PB was fair, in that we may not be able to replace him. I think being able to move in CP and that argument would have been dead in the water

I never understood that argument, of course we can replace him whether it works our or not is another matter entirely.

The points listed as positives baffle me...

Has won the division we play in - Insert applause here
Finished 9th in championship - I mean we could list all the managers who have also finished 9th and higher over the past 4 years that Powell has failed to get a job at clubs further down the football pyramid
Has managed plenty at a higher level - "Plenty"... please explain?
Has coached at various big clubs too - Various... who?? Huddersfield and Derby for 2 games?
Recently been a scout for spurs.... - Why is that a good thing???
Obvious contacts throughout the game - Yep, most people involved in football do
PFA representative - Yet he still hasnt been able to get a managerial job in league 2 or the conf over the past 4 seasons.
England caps...played at the highest level - So has Joey Barton, Matt Jarvis and Gavin McCann

Why don't you just come out and say 'I hope he fails' Just get it out there. ****ing hell, the man hasn't even taken charge of a game yet and some on here are gearing up to slag the man off already. Judge him at the end of the season not before his name has been put on the ****ing office door.

Mmm.. took Hull from the depths of the second tier and promoted them to the Premier Legaue, then kept them in the top flight the following season?

He was put on gardening leave as Hull manager 2 months before they were relegated in their 2nd season in the top flight.

A friend of mine is a Charlton fan so asked him his opinions on Chris Powell as a manager and whether he thought it would be a good appointment:

I would say yes, only issue I had with Powell was he always made subs too late
...tactics were good... signings we made some decent ones yeah but we had a terrible owner so wasnt given much...
if the owner backs him he will do well...our owner bought players in from his other clubs and told Powell use them or be sacked.... hence why he got sacked

he played more youth than the players the owner bought in and he gave Joe Gomez his debut who now plays for Liverpool and England
i would love him back at Charlton

Just a sample of one, but doesn't suggest this would be disastrous and backs up other comments that he is still well regarded at Charlton - at least with some fans.

My Charlton supporting mate said the exact same:

Inherited a good team? He came in Jan and we had a rough end to the season. Then in the summer he built the title winning team from the £1m sale of Jenkinson. We smashed the league with record points. First season up we finished 9th I think and we had the new owner. The Owner didn't get on with Powell and kept bringing his own players in, Powell even said he'd find players waiting for him at the training ground that he didn't know about

He gave us our best memories of the last 10 years. He left subs too late which was annoying but he's a young manager. I love the guy.

He had his shortfalls but he's a good guy and I'd have him back

I think he's the right man for us at the right time and Ron is right to go for him. Tilson (maybe more through luck than judgement), Sturrock and Brown all also fall into this category. Powell has experience of getting out of this division and stabilising clubs in the Championship. He has experience of professional football clubs at the highest level and I expect he will demand that from his players and staff.

He was put on gardening leave as Hull manager 2 months before they were relegated in their 2nd season in the top flight.

He got a Hull team with a bottom-half wage Championship budget promoted and kept them up with what I think was either the lowest or second-lowest budget in the division. It's not a small feat.

Iam neither for or against Powell as manager,I trust in RM to appoint whoever he believes is the right man,i will support whoever that is and hopefully it will galvanise the players and they also will support him and do their very best for him,All managers unless its their first appointment as a manager will come with some baggage,i just hope whoever it is has people management ability as well as tactical nous and a plan A & B to help us to safety this season,worst thing that can happen to SUFC at present is to be relegated.

My Charlton supporting mate said the exact same:

Inherited a good team? He came in Jan and we had a rough end to the season. Then in the summer he built the title winning team from the £1m sale of Jenkinson. We smashed the league with record points. First season up we finished 9th I think and we had the new owner. The Owner didn't get on with Powell and kept bringing his own players in, Powell even said he'd find players waiting for him at the training ground that he didn't know about

He gave us our best memories of the last 10 years. He left subs too late which was annoying but he's a young manager. I love the guy.

He had his shortfalls but he's a good guy and I'd have him back

I think he's the right man for us at the right time and Ron is right to go for him. Tilson (maybe more through luck than judgement), Sturrock and Brown all also fall into this category. Powell has experience of getting out of this division and stabilising clubs in the Championship. He has experience of professional football clubs at the highest level and I expect he will demand that from his players and staff.

That's how I understood the feelings of Charlton fans, as well, on Powell.

Just on Tilly, I guess you were referring to the club being lucky, rather than Tilly?

I can't forgive Grayson for his arrogant comment after a 0-0 draw here, when he was manager at Leeds.

Something along the lines of "Southend will be pleased with that result, as it's like a Cup Final for them".

Like his brother at Essex CC, not liked by many of us due to his arrogance, & much relief when he left the club

Well we didn't score, so it was exactly like all of the cup finals we have been in :sad:

Although with Rons track record the appointment is probably made .......could we get better if the job was advertised?

That's how I understood the feelings of Charlton fans, as well, on Powell.

Just on Tilly, I guess you were referring to the club being lucky, rather than Tilly?

Yes. He was there right under our noses and we'd have never looked to make that kind of appointment externally.

Back