• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am really wary of Sir Christie Powell coming back to us to manage. Not because I don't want him as I am massive fan and he is one of my all time favourites and to me this man sits above most if not all (par one) of people who have been at SUFC.
I am fearful that if he does not deliver and produce people will turn on him and that is something I would not like to see.

I am really wary of Sir Christie Powell coming back to us to manage. Not because I don't want him as I am massive fan and he is one of my all time favourites and to me this man sits above most if not all (par one) of people who have been at SUFC.
I am fearful that if he does not deliver and produce people will turn on him and that is something I would not like to see.

Don't worry. He'll do great, just like Tilly.

Don't worry. He'll do great, just like Tillsty.

Edited for accuracy.

Yes. He was there right under our noses and we'd have never looked to make that kind of appointment externally.

Yep, I guessed you had. Exactly how I saw it.

Ian Atkins was lined up, from memory, but had to see out his contract at Oxford, so Tilly held the fort, but did so well that we scrubbed Atkins off the list, thankfully.

Don't worry Tinks, hopefully that won't happen. My old memories may be playing tricks but I don't remember the crowd turning on Tilly.

Yep, I guessed you had. Exactly how I saw it.

Ian Atkins was lined up, from memory, but had to see out his contract at Oxford, so Tilly held the fort, but did so well that we scrubbed Atkins off the list, thankfully.

Collymore was in the running as well and he wanted Dave Martin as assistant. I wrote a column urging the club to appoint Stan. :unsure:

If Powell gets the job he might or might not do well, but I think he's got as good a record as anyone we are likely to get. I don't think I ever saw him play for us but purely on what he's done as a manager he seems as good as we are likely to get, and that is the key to me.
I have no idea whether Nathan Jones or the Cowleys would be available, realistic or do any better. But Powell has more experience and no less promotions than any of them.

If Powell is appointed. Would he be the clubs first black manager?

I believe he would be. How many black managers are there currently in the 92

So where Tilly and Brush, and then.......

think the difference is the Cowleys did very well at Concord, then Braintree, and now Lincoln. They’re proving they can do it from club to club. T & B only did it here before the wheels came off, & failed miserably at Lincoln.

I think that is what most supporters fear , that Chris will fail at Roots Hall .

I think that is what most supporters fear , that Chris will fail at Roots Hall .

Unless you're lucky enough to be in a job for 25 years and then retire the chances are that all managers will fail at some point. Even if Chris Powell took over and failed in the worst possible way I will still remember him as a player in the same way. Nothing will have changed.

Very interesting comparison ....from my memory didn't T & B have an offer from Norwich at their peak ,but instead of jumping ship loyalty was their downfall .Then the non payment of players due to some chairman helped their downfall.
The Cowley Bros haven't really been tested on that next level yet ,when a desperate club at a higher level comes in or they hit a really bad patch .We will really see their true colours then

So where Tilly and Brush, and then.......

Back