• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was never about him as a person and he almost delivered last year and would have apart from the rubbish start to season! Wish him luck and all the best for the future.

Problem is, for some people it was - there are people on this forum that wouldn't have liked PB even if he'd got us to the premiership and Europe!!

I liked him, genuinly ... the club as a whole will be better off for the professional manner he created behind the scenes .it’s a shame that he couldn’t get us over the line. Because behind that big ego I think he was a decent guy who understood how Biggs part Southend United has to play in the community

Reading some pretty idiotic comments on social media from non-SUFC fans it's pretty clear his reputation as a bit of a joke from his Hull days is still with him. Mind you I wouldn't expect anything less from Premier League fans who are too ignorant to look below the top flight.

I wish him well and hope he gets back into management soon. He'd be an asset to many clubs I'm sure, as he was to ours for a long time. It's the right time to part, but he's given us plenty of good memories and I always thought he came across as a decent fellow.

Watching the football league show on sky tonight it seems like Phil was still working hard right up until his sacking. Indeed on Wednesday morning Michael Appleton revealed that he had spoken to Brown about bringing in a young player from Leicester.

I've said many times before about how good he's been at Trust and Junior Blues events, and I'm not at all surprised at what fbm has to say about him honouring his commitment.

He also took a couple of our injured players at the time - which happened to be Lenny and Myles Weston - up to UCLH to see a young fan who was having treatment for leukaemia. It's one thing to go and see people locally, but to take the time to travel up to London to do so, and then to spend ages with the lad, his family and group of friends, chatting and talking, is another. He did have a knack of making you feel quite at ease and was quite disarming when you spoke with him.

He is a charming man, and I could see him making a living out of being a raconteur if the football side of things comes to a halt.

Some excellent words here on PB.

Only met him once, but he found time to chat and, as others have said, made you feel that he was happy to talk to you, rather than wishing he was somewhere else.

I've never met the guy, but found him affable in his conduct, football people seem to like him. But its a results driven industry and we were fast looking like we were in free fall. Ron obviously did not believe he could stop the rot, the whole Nile Ranger saga and other goings on among the players seems to have been his death nail. Good luck to the man, he'll probably end up on Talk Sport as he's good mates with some of the presenters.:smile:

Anyone that met him really couldn't doubt his passion and love of the game and wanting to succeed with SUFC.Would also give you straight answers and sometimes be too honest .Think the anti brigade if they had met him personally would have had a totally different view of him.Undoubtedly has left the club behind the scenes in a much more professional and better state

Anyone that met him really couldn't doubt his passion and love of the game and wanting to succeed with SUFC.Would also give you straight answers and sometimes be too honest .Think the anti brigade if they had met him personally would have had a totally different view of him.Undoubtedly has left the club behind the scenes in a much more professional and better state

Apart from the discipline aspect

I was referring more to club set up training facilities, youth etc ,but your point is a very simplistic view .Any manager has to try and put out a team to win each week because his job depends on it.Managing a squad of 20 + individuals all with different personalities with some players in cliques and some throwing their toys out of the pram because they're not chosen is never going to be easy
Apart from the discipline aspect

Some excellent words here on PB.

Only met him once, but he found time to chat and, as others have said, made you feel that he was happy to talk to you, rather than wishing he was somewhere else.

Indeed. The day PB and Barrett came up to see Herman and present his shirt they seemed genuinely pleased to do it. The Echo photographer was delayed, so PB had to get back down to the team but agreed with AB that he should stay as they knew Herman had seen every game he had every played at RH.

Later some of the injured players came round with David Crown to go through the quiz and present the winners trophy. Noel Hunt looked totally bored and uninterested during his 5 minutes work for the day. No one was bothering him but he couldn't look anyone in the eye, let alone chat to them and rudely watched the TV whilst the prize was presented.....There's a man who won't be here next season was the obvious conclusion.

I was referring more to club set up training facilities, youth etc ,but your point is a very simplistic view .Any manager has to try and put out a team to win each week because his job depends on it.Managing a squad of 20 + individuals all with different personalities with some players in cliques and some throwing their toys out of the pram because they're not chosen is never going to be easy

I make you right on the youth set up, training facilities etc. From a discipline point of view, Ranger got away with so much for so long, Timlin got away with assaulting Ben Clarkson. Brown's favourites seemed to get looked after as it were. Ultimately Ranger had to go but I think that came from above rather than Brown's decision

A top bloke, and I have nothing but thanks for what he did achieve while here.

For what ever (multitude of) reasons, it all went wrong this season, but it should not deter from what he did do while manger of our club.

I make you right on the youth set up, training facilities etc. From a discipline point of view, Ranger got away with so much for so long, Timlin got away with assaulting Ben Clarkson. Brown's favourites seemed to get looked after as it were. Ultimately Ranger had to go but I think that came from above rather than Brown's decision

I think the reason he stayed so long was more to do with above than with Brown!

Ricky Duncan has said himself how good Phil was to work with on the Academy.

A top bloke, and I have nothing but thanks for what he did achieve while here.

For what ever (multitude of) reasons, it all went wrong this season, but it should not deter from what he did do while manger of our club.

No wonder he felt as if he was always left holding the baby!

Back