• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Yesterday when with PB i joked with him about sorting the pitch out whilst on gardening leave.

He laughed but then became serious and said that the pitch had "done for him". It had stopped the players playing football and achieving the style and results he had wanted.

He's probably not far wrong.

Except that when playing on all the other really good pitches, like Donny away, we couldn't achieve 'his style' either. A terrible pitch at home doesn't justify only 2 wins away from home.

Seem to remember a really good pitch at AFC Wimbledon, that went well.

Oh well, excuses even after he has gone!

The pitch that all the players said worked in our advantage?

By the way, it didn't

Results aside, the supporters go to a match to be entertained. If you walk away from a 2-1 defeat and we played good football that is less disappointing. There was a match a few weeks back, Shrewsbury I think, where it was dead windy. There was no chance we were going to get a quality game of football not being able to put the ball in the air or play on the ground.

It probably all added to the general apethy around roots hall. That said, PB got sacked because of his results first and foremost.

It is very difficult to develop a style of play away that is at odds with how you play at home every week_ it clearly didn’t help and now he has gone not sure of the benefit of pretending otherwise, unless there is someone who actually believes this year pitch represents the benchmark for what we come up with going forward?

Yesterday when with PB i joked with him about sorting the pitch out whilst on gardening leave.

He laughed but then became serious and said that the pitch had "done for him". It had stopped the players playing football and achieving the style and results he had wanted.

Fleetwood seemed to cope with it.

Yes, but when we played them on a proper pitch, their a**es were truly tanned!

I'm sorry I don't buy the beaten by the pitch argument. We managed to get points at home against the poorer sides but couldn't beat the better sides. Away from home virtually everyone has stuffed us on decent pitches.

There are also a number of pitches now that are as bad as ours -particularly those shared with Rugby clubs - and Bradford City!.

I have boringly said it lots of time, other teams came and passed the ball, we just hoofed it long.

We were unbeaten at home until mid-December.

What was his excuse for the scandalous away form?

We were unbeaten at home until mid-December.

What was his excuse for the scandalous away form?

Sir Alex Ferguson was blamed for Doncaster away. The other games were a mixture of refs, players not playing for him, the younger lads and the senior pros. So basically, everyone apart from himself.

I would say there's a fair amount of truth in that. However, that doesn't really account for our form away from home. Although it would be difficult to play different styles home and away.

I have no proof on this, but I suspect that the pitch has caused some of our injuries this season. Either that or we've been very unlucky at times.

It was mentioned that the pitch seeding was late due to the fact of the local cup finals etc and the revenue they raise being important.Therefore the growing time was cut short to a few weeks.Houghton and Brighton were not impressed by all accounts in the pre season friendly and the firm responsible went bust.

It was mentioned that the pitch seeding was late due to the fact of the local cup finals etc and the revenue they raise being important.Therefore the growing time was cut short to a few weeks.Houghton and Brighton were not impressed by all accounts in the pre season friendly and the firm responsible went bust.

seeding, they normally re-lay the pitch, that’s the problem. Still, other teams pass the ball.

Personally, I think he's totally wrong. The pitch is the same for both sides. However when it's in such a poor state, the team that uses it on a regular basis would normally have an advantage. Our Home form until recently would confirm that.

What's "done for him" IMO is his gamble to sign older experienced players. It hasn't come off, Blues are 18th in the League and Phil Brown has lost his job.

The pitch has been a major set back for us and will do for who ever gets the mangers job. In fact It has already put certain people off from what I here.

A while back there was a football household name at RH for a game. His job is to assess any clubs that his PL club may be looking to loan players to......He only came the once and didn't bother with any away games.

With players like Kightly, Wordsworth, McL etc then a bad pitch does them no favours. Even Wright has been slagged on here but is a very neat and fast passer of the ball which is lost on our pitch. Yes our away from has been shocking but none of our 'ball players' has the advantage of gaining confidence at home. History proves this has always been one of the unwritten laws of football.

The other zone myth that has emerged is "hoofball". Recent games when we lost to Bradford, Shrews and Fleetwood, they "hoofed" it far more than us. We as the home team tried to play a bit of football and it cost us goals. Other teams refused to pass it in their own half and were happy to almost miss out their mid-field.

First half v Fleetwood John White did exactly as he should on that pitch and cleared without fuss. Our fans jeered him. So a minute later down by the East Blacks he should have done a Bolger and put it in row Z but hesitated, under pressure not to hoof and then lost the ball. To the groans of some of our fans of course.

No manager and no set of players are going to play their way up the league on that pitch. That's not to say we can't win but you football purists who want to be "entertained", might just have to hold your noses. You might even find winning a match is far more entertaining than losing.

It’s nonsense this. Both teams have to play on the same pitch. If anything having a crappy pitch at home should give us an advantage is we could train for it Knowing we have 23 games to play on it.

It’s nonsense this. Both teams have to play on the same pitch. If anything having a crappy pitch at home should give us an advantage is we could train for it Knowing we have 23 games to play on it.

In that case why don't Man City or Barcelona did up their pitch. I mean the best players would have a real advantage then according to your logic.

Back