• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rob49

First XI
I know PB contract was due to expire in the Summer, however I am not totally sure of the other 3 who were dismissed.
Anyone know in more detailed the likely financial implications of these, also added to any to attract/employ new ones...

I believe the share issue is why Brown's gardening leave is in place. The other employees will have either had their contracts paid out or reduced mutually on the basis that they're all confident of finding work.

The share issue is likely to be unresolved until a decision is made on Fossett's.

An ex player told me that nowadays the redundancy package is agreed at the same time as the actual managers contract is finalised. This would make sense. For example, if PB signed a 4 year contract then he would also be agreeing to a 1 year pay off. This having all their contract paid up is a myth. There are so many managers desperate for work that the chairmen now holds all the cards.
I suspect all of their contracts finish at the same time.

An ex player told me that nowadays the redundancy package is agreed at the same time as the actual managers contract is finalised. This would make sense. For example, if PB signed a 4 year contract then he would also be agreeing to a 1 year pay off. This having all their contract paid up is a myth. There are so many managers desperate for work that the chairmen now holds all the cards.

That sounds sensible, and I can well believe it’s entirely accurate. However, there have been so many contract aberrations at SUFC over the past year or two that I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn that what you describe didn’t actually happen in this case.

Maybe i'm being thick, but could you clarify your post for me please.

1. Are you suggesting Phil still gets a one year pay off? (although having just a few months left on his contract)

2. What do you mean by "all their contracts finish at the same time"?...do you mean Horton, Goughlan etc?

1. Are you suggesting Phil still gets a one year pay off? (although having just a few months left on his contract)

2. What do you mean by "all their contracts finish at the same time"?...do you mean Horton, Goughlan etc?

The 4 year / 1 year scenario was an example to illustrate the principle, mattitouk, rather than any inside knowledge on Phil’s actual contract. You’re quite right to say that he has about 6 months remaining.

Whatever the payoff is....RM will make it take as long as possible to pay them out....It is his way with Ex employees.

Whatever the payoff is....RM will make it take as long as possible to pay them out....It is his way with Ex employees.

Sincerely hope not. Brown and Coughlan deserve far better than that.

Sincerely hope not. Brown and Coughlan deserve far better than that.

So did ex players and managers before Sturrock came in. Remember all the unpaid wages? Some are not settled to this day.

It took Tara Brady over 2 years to get his money back. Have no fear RM will do all he can to delay paying ....Maybe not a bad thing if he as other priorities like the tax man about...But that is how RM works.

Anyway lets be positive on here now.....New Dawn and all that.

So did ex players and managers before Sturrock came in. Remember all the unpaid wages? Some are not settled to this day.

It took Tara Brady over 2 years to get his money back. Have no fear RM will do all he can to delay paying ....Maybe not a bad thing if he as other priorities like the tax man about...But that is how RM works.

Anyway lets be positive on here now.....New Dawn and all that.

Yeah I guess history has a habit of repeating itself. Didn’t know some ex-player wages were still outstanding though. That’s pretty shocking.

I spose just like any struggling business, you pay he who shouts the loudest first.

I don't see why Ron would want to delay the process any longer than needed. Surely the opposite in fact. I presume Gardening Leave is roughly the same in football as there are in other industries under government law. Ie: Ron is still paying Phil 100% of his wages to sit on he's arse watching daytime TV until a deal is reached.

I don't see why Ron would want to delay the process any longer than needed. Surely the opposite in fact. I presume Gardening Leave is roughly the same in football as there are in other industries under government law. Ie: Ron is still paying Phil 100% of his wages to sit on he's arse watching daytime TV until a deal is reached.

If you could delay a bill for say 4 months knowing where you stand then as atm everything is in upheaval within your company...I guess you might...............Ron works that way ..it is proven time after time...he pays when he actually has to.

Or not pay them at all in some cases! (allegedly)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could delay a bill for say 4 months knowing where you stand then as atm everything is in upheaval within your company...I guess you might...............Ron works that way ..it is proven time after time...he pays when he actually has to.

I recall a similar case a few years back, where Glasgow Rangers put Ally McCoist on gardening leave in December 2014, the legals of it all were finally decided in September 2015, when they finally made an agreement. McCoist was on £750,00 a year at the time, so that was a fair old chunk of money coming out of their coffers, for nothing in return.

Obviously were not talking about those amounts, but I can't see our Uncle Ron paying out Phil Browns wages from he's budget for any longer than needed, especially for someone that doesn't benefit the club, and all the time paying out for a new incoming manager at the same time.

if I owe you a load of money and don't pay you for many many months you will pretty soon settle for a percentage of the total owed...

getting the full amount back paid in full will cost you loads and loads of legal fees.

not nice but effective -

if I owe you a load of money and don't pay you for many many months you will pretty soon settle for a percentage of the total owed...

getting the full amount back paid in full will cost you loads and loads of legal fees.

not nice but effective -

If you owe me a lot of money, you will end up paying the full amount and the costs for a the 'visit.'........It won't be nice but effective :winking:

no, once the contract enters its final year then it becomes a straightforward pay off. In this case 6 months. The first £30,000 of any severance pay is tax free. For no other reason than to encourage an early settlement. Assuming PB pays 40% tax then this automatically saves him £12000.
And yes, I did mean the others.

The maxim of business, get the money in as soon as you can, hang onto it for as long as you can.

The maxim of business, get the money in as soon as you can, hang onto it for as long as you can.

But when you agree to pay at a certain time and there is a cost of reputation or integrity involved it's not good practice to miss the deadline.

no, once the contract enters its final year then it becomes a straightforward pay off. In this case 6 months. The first £30,000 of any severance pay is tax free. For no other reason than to encourage an early settlement. Assuming PB pays 40% tax then this automatically saves him £12000.
And yes, I did mean the others.

Not if it is a contractual entitlement.

No idea on the terms of his contract and any notice or termination provisions, but I’m guessing placing him on gardening leave means they are not intending to pay him out in full instead. He could therefore sit tight and be paid to do nothing or if he wanted another job come to a mutual agreement for a lesser termination payment and then get a wage with his new role. Paying him the full amount of his contract now would be of little financial benefit.

Back