• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To be fair the Ref was on BBC Essex talking to Nick Allicker. He gave the game every chance to be played, but the pitch was waterlogged. He talked about expense, wasted journeys for fans, and Southend coming up by train, and his own wasted journey, he stayed overnight. He also said there was sleet and rain forecast for the afternoon, so he had to call it off. Said he was off to the gym to keep his fitness up.

If he had stayed overnight, he could have called it off earlier

Tbf. I'm pretty sure that Rochdale have previous for this.

Shouldn't there be a penalty if clubs call off x amounts of games off a season.

Tbf. I'm pretty sure that Rochdale have previous for this.

With us yes, actually there is an odd coincidence between managerial sackings and match postments between the sides at their stadium.

March 2013 Rochdale V Southend - Match postponed due to weather - Sturrock sacked a few days after.

January 2018 Rochdale V Southend - Match postponed due to weather - Brown sacked a few days before.

I'm looking at the postponement as a positive. Hopefully Wright will be fit and we'll have some new signings too by the time we play. We seriously need some muscle in central midfield, most picked Yearwood to start today, whilst he's undeniably a good prospect he offers nothing from a defensive point of view.

Well that was a tad disappointing. Last chance for me to try and see a win, or us even gain a point, after two defeats during this trip back, the Scunny and Fleetwood games. On the 8.14am out of Leamington, into Rochdale at 11.30. It's sleeting a bit but it's not that cold and a postponement is the last thing on our mind. Walk into town from the station and it's another depressed northern town. There is an Egyptian shop, no, don't ask me why either. Then to the Baum pub, a cracking real ale boozer, when we get a message from Jai saying game off. It's not even raining that hard and I'm in disbelief. We don't even make it to the ground. Then it's a quick scan at the fixtures, Accrington and Bolton are options, but then we plump for Salford City as its closer to Manchester.

Uber it to the ground from Manchester Victoria. Tidy little ground and we spot Giggsy and Gary Neville in a box. It's first v second in that league and we stand on the terrace with the Harrogate Town fans. They are unlucky to lose 2-1 in an entertaining game. Salford will probably be in the league in a few years so will count as one of the 92, so I've done it in advance. But very disappointing not to bag Spotland.

Arrivederci folks, back to India on Monday. See you in 2018/19!

I'm looking at the postponement as a positive. Hopefully Wright will be fit and we'll have some new signings too by the time we play. We seriously need some muscle in central midfield, most picked Yearwood to start today, whilst he's undeniably a good prospect he offers nothing from a defensive point of view.

Wright does?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that Rochdale have previous for this.

Shouldn't there be a penalty if clubs call off x amounts of games off a season?

I suspect that there is a penalty that the club pays already with a postponed game.

For instance, they (Rochdale) have possibly had to pay for a full ground team for the game and will be without the cash flow from the ground receipts - if the club is financially sailing close to the wind then this might be quite a significant matter.

And then the game is rearranged and that will mean a little more fixture congestion later - not ideal for Rochdale (or Southend United) when you are fighting against relegation.

So overall I think Keith Hill and Rochdale will be very unhappy with the postponement.

As for the fish and chip shop at Spotland - they will be spitting fish bones. :unsure:

Back