• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
I'm guessing the club will make the inevitable announcement tomorrow that Chris Powell is the new manager.

My concern is that at the 22nd of January we are just 9 days away from the transfer window closing?

Will the new manager have already sounded out signings?

Have the club for everything in place to announce CP as manager?

If this falls through and we have to look elsewhere for what ever reason we are sunk.

I’d imagine CP has been working unofficial for SUFC for the last couple of weeks

Plus the majority of transfer window business takes place in the last week. Players who weren't previously available will become available when their clubs make new signings etc. It's fluid and there is still time.

I know we have the injury problems to deal with (as we have all season) but haven't we still got the main squad that we started the season with and many people thought was capable of challenging for promotion?

Clearly, Lenny is a very big loss and also Ranger has not been the force he was last season.

We have 11 decent players to put on the pitch but many of us have pointed out that we don't seem to have a team.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that a new manager will be able to get some points on the board with the group of players that is already here?

I agree. I think fresh ideas and renewed motivation is the most important thing we need to acquire in this window and hopefully Chris Powell will bring that.

I agree that I don't think we need lots of new signings and a new manager should (hopefully) be able to turn things around by his new ideas, new organisation and impetus. I do however think we need some new signings if only to help with that impetus. A sprinkling of new blood can work wonders, so long as they are the right new players.

We don't mean many signings- we do need surely one forward who can actually head the ball - even more so given the difficulty playing the ball on the deck at home. This to me is essential.

Then a quality CM to replace Lenny.

So two in two out.

Someone on another thread thought it might be Alex Dyer who is currently the Assistant Manager at Kilmarnock. They have worked together before. I can't find anything to suppoort this thought but it would seem logical.

Someone on another thread thought it might be Alex Dyer who is currently the Assistant Manager at Kilmarnock. They have worked together before. I can't find anything to suppoort this thought but it would seem logical.

I believe a lot will depend on his availability in the summer.

I know we have the injury problems to deal with (as we have all season) but haven't we still got the main squad that we started the season with and many people thought was capable of challenging for promotion?

Clearly, Lenny is a very big loss and also Ranger has not been the force he was last season.

We have 11 decent players to put on the pitch but many of us have pointed out that we don't seem to have a team.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that a new manager will be able to get some points on the board with the group of players that is already here?

The most gaping hole is that we don't have a forward who can head the ball. We win nothing in the air (absolutely nothing) without Ranger - crosses into the box/corners/free kicks are meat and drink to the oppositions CBs.

Now we may say well only play it on the deck then- well I am not sure we have the midfield for that, and indeed the pitch actively discourages it. Without an aerial threat my concern is we simply won't score the goals we need.

For me a CF and a CM and we can survive with the rest.

The most gaping hole is that we don't have a forward who can head the ball. We win nothing in the air (absolutely nothing) without Ranger - crosses into the box/corners/free kicks are meat and drink to the oppositions CBs.

Now we may say well only play it on the deck then- well I am not sure we have the midfield for that, and indeed the pitch actively discourages it. Without an aerial threat my concern is we simply won't score the goals we need.

For me a CF and a CM and we can survive with the rest.

Sadly, did we win much in the air with Ranger?

Back