• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yep, hence why I said a "couple of loan signings".

But a wholesale re-look just isn't needed, IMHO and I certainly wouldn't buy anyone at this stage, unless a 6 ft 2 in striker like Keifer Moore or James Hanson fancied it. Then I'd be tempted, because the way SCP seems to want to play would need someone like that.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I am not sure what you are disagreeing on as I agreed with both of you.

We need a couple of loan signings to tie us over until the summer but I wouldn't be buying as there now isn't the time as we took too long to sack Brown. The wholesale overhaul will have to wait until the summer when much of the squad is out of contract anyway. Ideally I'd have liked to have started the process earlier so we could begin bedding in players for next year but we don't have the time to conduct the necessary due diligence to sign permanent players. That's going to limit us to loans with a view to a permanent move or just loans for depth.

As a minimum we need a box-to-box midfielder to replace Lenny and a big front man who can hold the ball-up to replace Ranger (and give old man Fortune a rest). The rest will have to wait until the summer.

Exactly how I see it 'Yorkshire'.

SCP also needs more time to assess what we have here at our disposal and where he needs to strengthen.

When he joined Charlton, there weren't any major personnel changes until that summer. By then, albeit with more money, he got in who he needed and the rest is history.

Great game but I dread to think what the earlier part of the season was like if some of the earlier posters are throwing 8s around like confetti.

First half we looked like a side bereft of confidence. Shaky defence, midfield with no strength, wingers who won't cross but checking back all the time. After MK's flukey Ottoesque goal, we seemed to up a notch in confidence. I assume CP (I don't like SCP, sounds like a disinfectant), had a go at half time because second half we seemed more up for it.

Anyway, great to see all the team celebrating - although I saw Timlin tell Cox and Robinson to shake hands after the last minute winner which was odd?

Ps is Timlin interfering with play at those free-kicks? Was he offside?
pps Good to see MK using his experience in getting that player sent off.

Anyway:

Oxley: 6 - average
Demi: 6 - so-son
Coker: 7 - attacked sometimes but some wayward crossing
Turner: 7 slow, but good to see a scrappy winner
White: 7 - effective but never a threat at the other end
Mclaughlin 7 - decent game eventually.
Yearwood - 7.5 - tidy, kept it simple
Timlin - 7 - tried hard but lots of niggly fouls
Kights - 7.5- shots on target, direct running. Great stuff
Cox - 7- never really a threat but enthusiastic.
MAF- 8 - My MOM. Held the ball up well. Played deep when needed. Always up for the ball.

Theo - one half hearted tackle, one misplaced pass and that was it.
Cox never really a threat ???? The only times he’s not been a threat were when Brown kept taking him off early! On Saturday,just taking 2 examples,he was desperately unlucky with a first half header and a second half pile-driver.
I find using “SCP” ok, particularly as some on here have referred to Chris Phillips as CP.And ,on the same subject,please don’t label poor Kightly as “”MK”—those 2 letters,even without an accompanying stolen nickname ,are odious in the extreme to most true football fans.

Cox never really a threat ???? The only times he’s not been a threat were when Brown kept taking him off early! On Saturday,just taking 2 examples,he was desperately unlucky with a first half header and a second half pile-driver.
I find using “SCP” ok, particularly as some on here have referred to Chris Phillips as CP.And ,on the same subject,please don’t label poor Kightly as “”MK”—those 2 letters,even without an accompanying stolen nickname ,are odious in the extreme to most true football fans.

That's a bit harsh, he's not that bad

With young Yearwood coming through, Josh Wright and Woody both due back from injury soon, and a rejuvenated Kightly, much as we will miss Lenny, we do have some midfield options.

Yes - we have options but I'm not sure what those options add up to in the "quality" and "position" stakes.

Tims is an excellent club servant but not as good as Lenny. Yearwood is young and up against experienced pros like Grant (who he may be facing on Saturday) may well be exposed (I hope that is not the case but there it is). Injury or suspension cannot be ruled out to Tims or Yearwood.

Wordy is not a "midfield" enforcer and if he plays it may well be at the expense of a winger.

That leaves Wright who has had some good games and some poor games - overall he has failed to convince me so far that he is a quality midfielder.

I think it would be wise to bring in another central midfielder. Or have I got it out of balance?

Back