• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not too fussed we got cover at left back the great timlin ��

Just read the post-transfer window interview with Chris Powell - very interesting. He still sees Hendrie as our player, he has had a number of conversations with him and the move is about regaining his confidence back at home, which is the right thing for him at the moment. Chris's interview statement spaks a thousand words to me, of a player struggling with confidence and therefore form, and reading between the lines it sounds to me like there has been some poor handling of a young player who wants to play, and who has the ability to come in to cover a serious injury only to see the place taken up by a more experienced but out of position midfielder being picked week after week in advance of him. Not wanting to launch into a criticism of previous management or the player himself, it is not likely that Hendrie will displace Coker as things stand, so a loan is probably the best and most pragmatic solution for now. SCP says he will review the situation in the summer, and hopefully a more confident Hendrie will return fresh for next season!

When Hendrie played for us first time round, were we not playing 3-5-2 at the time? For me the main reason he has not performed this time is that for me he is incapable of playing in a back four. As a wing-back he was much happier because he had much more licence to bomb forward and could play wider. Playing as an orthodox full-back is quite different because you have to tuck in much more and play as part of a unit. A wing-back basically has the whole wing to himself. I played as a wing-back for several teams when I was younger and it's a strange position as you can be 'lonely' and disconnected from your team-mates for some periods of time.

I would actually say the same for Demetriou. He played as a wing-back for Walsall and a left-sided midfielder for Orient and I don't think we've seen the best of him either. He's not a natural defender IMHO. I don't know what position he plays for Cyprus, mind you.

Good luck to Hendrie anyway. Hope he comes back with much more confidence.

Hendrie was playing Scottish League football at 16, Scottish Premierl League against the likes of Celtic at 18 and had the £1m move to West Ham at 20 - where I guess he played U23 football. A bit of a drop down in standard. Yep we did have three centre halves in his first spell - Usually Barrett, Bolger and Thompson and 2 of the 5 sides he looked decent against got relegated. I think he may be one of those school boy protégés who doesn't live up to what he was, when he is now a fully developed man. It all came too soon for him - mind you he may already have made a bit more dosh than most of us will.

As I have said before and was shouted down by OBL, it seems to be Mr Angry in the reds you have a beef with. Rather than keep having a moan about him on here, go and say something to him. We don't want to hear it

WTF? Why are you bringing me into this?

The Echo has a back page article on Mr Hendrie today. Motherwell face Celtic in the Scottish FA cup Final on Saturday and Hendrie is obviously very hopeful to be in the starting eleven as he has started the last few Motherwell games. I really hope that this loan has done the trick for Stephen and his confidence is returning. An 'on the ball' Hendrie would be a welcome addition to our squad and provide the extra Left Back competition that we need. Yes, I did rate him and still do.

I thought he put some fantastic balls into the box at times last season. He had a few shockers but so too did a few of Brown’s favourites and they weren’t scapegoated in quite the same way. CP didn’t really get a chance to see what Hendrie could do so I’d be surprised if he wasn’t with us for pre-season.

I thought he put some fantastic balls into the box at times last season. He had a few shockers but so too did a few of Brown’s favourites and they weren’t scapegoated in quite the same way. CP didn’t really get a chance to see what Hendrie could do so I’d be surprised if he wasn’t with us for pre-season.

That makes some sense.

But then again we already have 3 players who can play at left back, don't we? Coker, Elvis and Kypo.

If it comes down to budgets and resources then Hendrie could be seen as being an untried "luxury" that the club cannot afford. That is not my viewpoint by the way - I mention it as part of the discussion.

That makes some sense.

But then again we already have 3 players who can play at left back, don't we? Coker, Elvis and Kypo.

If it comes down to budgets and resources then Hendrie could be seen as being an untried "luxury" that the club cannot afford. That is not my viewpoint by the way - I mention it as part of the discussion.

I have no idea whether Hendrie will be in Powell's thoughts but what I would say is Elvis is not a left back. I know he filled in but he is far better served playing on the right hand side of the park. Harry is now a centre back and challenging for a starting berth, so to still have Hendrie on our books as a 'proper' left back is a good thing if he shows consistant good form. Oh, and don't forget Timlin at left back as well Rattus.

I thought Hendrie was good first time but his confidence was shot when he started with us and not helped by a poor few games and likely a man management style that didn't help. Naming players who have poor games is best left to paying fans and if said in the dressing room kept there. I hope he does well.

You are right, its a shame none of our 4 forwards could score with their head. Lets hope we sign someone who can get on the end of a Sam Barratt delivery. Anyway the first job as a LB is to stop the opposition putting balls into your own box. Failing that put the player under pressure to a least make it difficult. Somewhere Hendrie lost that part of his game. I did wonder why he only got about 4 starts in a failing Blackburn team the season before.

Not sure having to come back down South and re-join us will be the best for him or us. Probably why CP tried Elvis on the left. I know some of you think that was wrong but I get the impression he has high hopes for Elvis and his weaknesses are not down to his left or right foot.

If we get Mantom cheap from Scunthorpe then we should let Hendrie go for nothing back to Motherwell. That would be more what out squad needs, as I don't see the LB position as a problem.

P.S I still haven't worked out who Browns favourites were.

Blues' defender Hendrie eyes up Scottish cup final success

SOUTHEND United left-back Stephen Hendrie wants a difficult season to end with a memorable cup final triumph this weekend.

More...

CP said he wouldn't play square pegs in round holes when he joined, which again would make a case for a rejuvenated Hendrie to stay and prove himself. If he does we all benefit from a very good player indeed.

CP said he prefers to get transfer deals done early and the ball is already rolling on that front, so I see no reason he won't be consistent on this one too.

That makes some sense.

And John White can fill in there.

Back