• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I wonder if here could be any other reasons why this happened?

We have PB last May saying he wants to sign players early in the local press and just last week CP saying the same thing. Its almost as if they are both trying to make a point to someone. mmmmmm

Think you’re a bit confused here. Not that your mate Phil would ever tell you as he’s such a proud bloke, but the likely reason we didn’t sign anyone early is because he was unable to attract his primary targets and we ended up with 2nd-4th/5th choices.

You’re right, I think CP was making a point.....to the fans. Making a point that he won’t leave things as late as the previous incumbent did. Just like he made a point in one of his first interviews that the players will have his full trust (like they didn’t from the previous manager) and that he will play players in their correct positions (like the previous manager didn’t).

The points he’s making are that he has identified the mistakes of the previous regime and won’t make the same ones.

So Mantee seems to be fit now. I wonder if we will see him on Saturday. C.P. will presumably want to give him some match time whilst he is here and evaluate him ...... and C.P. hasn't seen Wright in action either.

If Wordsworth, Wright, or the new boy were fit to play, i doubt any off them woul have got picked in front of DY or timlin, so lets go with the lads who have turned our season round, so far.

Not sure about Wright, but I am certain that Mantom and Wordsworth have more ability than at least Timlin.... If Timlin and Dru have had a notable upscale in their performances since CP came in, are you not somewhat excited about what kinds of performances we might see from the three that have been out injured since he took the reins?

Not sure about Wright, but I am certain that Mantom and Wordsworth have more ability than at least Timlin.... If Timlin and Dru have had a notable upscale in their performances since CP came in, are you not somewhat excited about what kinds of performances we might see from the three that have been out injured since he took the reins?

I take your point but we can’t drop Timlin when he’s in the form of his life just to see if someone else could do better.

He’s absolutely ran the show since Powell came in and is one of the first on the team sheet for me right now. And this is from someone who wanted rid of him earlier in the season.

I take your point but we can’t drop Timlin when he’s in the form of his life just to see if someone else could do better.

He’s absolutely ran the show since Powell came in and is one of the first on the team sheet for me right now. And this is from someone who wanted rid of him earlier in the season.

Have to agree, timlin has shown obscene committment (again) and played brilliantly since Powell came in. Undroppable at the moment.

I'm not sure what kind of midfielder Mantom is but Timlin and Wordsworth are completely different types of player that just happen to play in the same position. Timlin is a hard working ball winner that excels at the defensive side of the game (even if he isn't always the best on the attacking side) whilst Wordsworth is a playmaker that might create more chances than Timlin, but he will also leave others to do the dirty stuff like tracking back to tackle so that he can stay upfield for when we win the ball.

Whether Wordsworth is a better player or not replacing Timlin for him would be a big mistake because we'd have to change our winning tactics to account for the fact it would be a lot easier for the opposition to pass it around the middle of the pitch.

It's just great to have 5 quality central midfielders battling it out to start - their different skills and styles is a good problem to have. And at 60 mins it means we can change things around a number of ways if we want to.

Last edited:
Glad for Timms, been a fan of his for years. Always seen his value to the club, even when people on here were slagging him off and saying he had no future with the club. Needed the right opportunity, now appears to be getting it. Would put John White in the same boat when he gets back from injury. These 2 are your "bread & butter" players essential at this level.

I really can't see either Timlin or Yearwood being left out at the moment.Potentially there may be a slot on the left side of midfield but Harrison will at least start there Saturday.

I really can't see either Timlin or Yearwood being left out at the moment.Potentially there may be a slot on the left side of midfield but Harrison will at least start there Saturday.

It would be a shame for Yearwood to go back to the bench - look at Kypo; he was doing well and then unfortunately got an injury and not been back in the starting XI since (I think) ......... but it seems hard to think that Yearwood at just 18 years old will last another 13 games in that role without a rest of some sort.

On a slightly different matter, I can't remember the last time we had a player sent off.

but it seems hard to think that Yearwood at just 18 years old will last another 13 games in that role without a rest of some sort.

I don't really understand when people panic about youngsters getting burnt out coz they're young. I promise you I could run a lot further and more regularly when I was 18 than I can now (approaching hanging up my boots).

It would be a shame for Yearwood to go back to the bench - look at Kypo; he was doing well and then unfortunately got an injury and not been back in the starting XI since (I think) ......... but it seems hard to think that Yearwood at just 18 years old will last another 13 games in that role without a rest of some sort.

On a slightly different matter, I can't remember the last time we had a player sent off.
Ryan Leonard got sent off (after 2 yellow cards) against Bradford just before Christmas.

If it was a straight red card you were thinking about, I believe technically it was Anton Ferdinand back in late October against Doncaster Rovers (although that wasn't for a tackle whilst the game was in play), he got a red for having a pop at the referee after the final whistle.

I don't really understand when people panic about youngsters getting burnt out coz they're young. I promise you I could run a lot further and more regularly when I was 18 than I can now (approaching hanging up my boots).

Yes. I am sure Dru is as fit as a butcher's dog. For reasons that I am failing to put into words I think it is quite a task - fine if all works out but equally I wouldn't like to see him injured or for his confidence to be dented by a poor performance (or two).

I'm not sure what kind of midfielder Mantom is but Timlin and Wordsworth are completely different types of player that just happen to play in the same position. Timlin is a hard working ball winner that excels at the defensive side of the game (even if he isn't always the best on the attacking side) whilst Wordsworth is a playmaker that might create more chances than Timlin, but he will also leave others to do the dirty stuff like tracking back to tackle so that he can stay upfield for when we win the ball.

Whether Wordsworth is a better player or not replacing Timlin for him would be a big mistake because we'd have to change our winning tactics to account for the fact it would be a lot easier for the opposition to pass it around the middle of the pitch.
I can tell you,Mantom is ,at this level,very good at all aspects of midfield play including ball-winning,passing and goal scoring.This is something you cannot say about any of our other midfielders(yet in Yearwood’s case).

Well in that case, we will just brush over Wordsworth's 15 goals in the last season and a half than shall we???

To be fair, Mantom should be good at "all aspects of Midfield play", he is a professional footballer at League One level & on a decent wage.

BTW.... Sam Mantom, 3 goals since June 2016!!!...... I know who I would prefer in our team, when we are chasing a deficit.

Last edited:
I believe the idea about Manton, Wright and Woody is that they need to show enough to SCP to earn a deal for next season. If they want to be part of SCP's promotion chasing squad next season it is up to them to work hard and play well.

Well in that case, we will just brush over Wordsworth's 15 goals in the last season and a half than shall we???

To be fair, Mantom should be good at "all aspects of Midfield play", he is a professional footballer at League One level & on a decent wage.

BTW.... Sam Mantom, 3 goals since June 2016!!!...... I know who I would prefer in our team, when we are chasing a deficit.

We don't start the match a goal down, by all means bring him on if we need a goal but I don't see why we should risk weakening our defence from the start given that we scoring loads as it is.

Back