• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
What a fantastic result away from home after the last few months of misery....:happy:

The New Era has truly begun!

Phil who?

THIS is what has been missing until now! :Worthy:

21e0mkg.jpg

Honestly a joy to be at the game today which is something which I haven't said for quite some time. Atmosphere and performance were both so much better it's like watching a different side.

For 10/15 minutes in the first half we played some incredible stuff, the kind of quality that we expected from this side and could have been a few goals up. Penalty was blatant and well converted.

Towards half time and in the second half there was more defensive work to do and the lads did brilliantly, solid units in midfield and defence and forwards pressed high and defended from the front.

At no point did it really feel like a goal was coming from them and when we found our rhythm going forward it looked like we would double our lead. Nail biting towards the end but stayed calm and disciplined and saw it out well, great game management.

Peterborough were very poor, had maybe one or two real chances and never seemed to up the tempo, but this was a superb performance from our team.

Oxley 8 Made two brilliant saves at close range
Demetriou 8 Well taken pen and solid at the back
White 7 Defended well and strongly, huge blow to lose him
Turner 6 Sliced it a few times but improved second half
Coker 7 A threat going forward and brilliant defensively
Kightly 8 Showed his quality, just a few moments where he tried to overdo it
Yearwood 8 Lost his head briefly in the first half but Timlin calmed him down and you'd never think he was so young and inexperienced
Timlin 8 Brilliant partner for Yearwood and never stopped battling in the middle
McLaughlin 7 Started really well drifting centrally and they couldn't handle him, more frustrated with things not coming off later on
Cox 8 Defended from the front, constantly pressed, looked a threat on the ball
Fortune 5 One of those days, nothing came off and he had a tough day trying to win in the air against their big centre back

Subs
Ferdinand 7 Didn't agree with the people shouting "no" when he came on and he proved them wrong, one great tackle and cleared everything
Ladapo 7 Got into some great positions running through

Referee was the same poor and inconsistent guy that he always is when we have him.

Top marks all round and a brilliant atmosphere in the away end too. Just hope White's injury isn't as serious as it looked.

Match report: Peterborough United 0, Southend United 1

AN early penalty from Jason Demetriou saw Southend United triumph 1-0 at Peterborough United this afternoon.

More...

The Messiah has arrived and Powell is his Name! (but let us not forget what happened to Hayzeuzz after a couple of days)

final score says it's the first time a new manager has won their first 2 games since Barry Fry. Magnificent. We'll done the players and Sir Chris Powell and his backroom staff.

First away win since October, first back to back wins since October as well.. the Chris Powell effect well and truly taking effect. The team spirit at the end was brilliant to see, good vibes back all around the club!

Must say, from listening to it on the radio, we have got a team playing with confidence and spirit, typified by our old stalwart Tims. For the last few months he has been mediocre at best, but today he was back to his old self.
Had we had this line up and CP from the start of the season, we could have been contenders!

The Messiah has arrived and Powell is his Name! (but let us not forget what happened to Hayzeuzz after a couple of days)
A sign of limited biblical understanding. After A couple of days there was the resurrection. Not quite the point I think you were trying to make :smile:

I watched the whole game on IFollow. Although I missed the first 5 minutes which according to the commentators was dominated by the home side.

I thought we were outstanding today. In the first half we had numerous dangerous moves and were really turning the screw and Peterborough were struggling to get on the ball as we dominated possession. The only criticism I could give our boys is we didn’t make that pressure count in the form of a second goal. We went in at the break deservedly in front.

The second half was much more about protecting what we had. Peterborough had much more of the ball and countless corners. We threw our bodies on the line, defended in numbers and time wasted and broke up play as much as we could.
It was a nervous watch in the second period but for all their possession and pressure Oxley wasn’t really tested on many occasions. John White may have gone off injured but whichever muscle he over-exerted we have to thank for today’s win as he got a vital touch on a through ball which was the one time in the second half we looked truly exposed.

Everyone gave their all today and it’s very difficult to pick a man of the match. I’d say I strongly disagreed with Dru Yearwood getting the sponsor’s man of the match last week coz Kightly ran the show last week. But today Dru went up a gear from a very decent showing last week and would possibly shade it for me but it was a tremendous team performance.

Well that was very good for many reasons. Firstly I have to comment on the obscene committment from every player today. It seems obvious that a cloud has been lifted from the club as a whole. We started the game on fire..quick incisive football...overlapping full backs...good link up play. We scored the penalty and seemed to shrink somewhat as an attacking force as Peterborough dominated possession and had a goal disallowed for offside.
Second half was a more balanced affair. Again we matched them in the physical department. Bit we also played some intelligent football going forward and were very close to extending our lead on two occasions. A second disallowed goal...and we hung on.
Oxley...6.5 done his job well today
Demetriou 7 much better today and cool penalty
White 7...solid...injury looked bad
Coker....7.5 up and down the left so well and defensively sound today
Kightly 7.5 some great party tricks today backed up by good wing play
Yearwood 8 MOM such composure and great skills
Timlin 7....literally ran himself into the ground today....powell literally holding him up at the end
Macca 7.5 again workrate and committment on another level and such a threat today...cutting in and causing problems.
Cox 6.5 worked hard linked well with MAF
MAF 6.5 held up ball ok but looks his age at times
Lapado 6.5 bug physical presence caused trouble.
Ferdinand 7.5 came on and steadied the ship..looked cool calm and read the game well.
Great support today, got to catch up with the legend that is wino..ruined by Lord football being perfect as usual.
Chris Powell brilliant at the end.....i love him like really love him

Back