• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And didn't Andy Cole score for Bristol City against us (North Bank end I think) shortly before his move to Newcastle as well?
"Spot On" Andy Cole scored against us for Bristol City at Roots Hall on the 10th.February 1993. He was sold to Newcastle United a month later for £1,750,000(Arsenal recieved 400,000 as part of the sell on clause).

Kenny Lunt

Edit: oops, so it's supposed to be only Southend players. Still, Kenny is often worth a mention in this kind of debate.

If we're expanding this to non-Southend players then spare a thought for Jérémie Aliadière (surname pronounced Ali Adi Air). When he played for Arsenal some Arsenal fan rang the 606 show to rave about him, pronouncing his surname Ali Day Airy).

If we're expanding this to non-Southend players then spare a thought for Jérémie Aliadière (surname pronounced Ali Adi Air). When he played for Arsenal some Arsenal fan rang the 606 show to rave about him, pronouncing his surname Ali Day Airy).

Peter Ndlovu was always pronounced end - love, when it should be end - low - voo
(ndlovu is Shona for Elephant.....)

I also fondly remember the 80s "announcer" (I forget his name) and if ever an opposing player had an exotic foreign name like Sean or Seamus, he would pronounce it as written (SEEN and SEE-MUSS). I always looked forward to it. I would love to hear him have a go at some of today's monickers.

Frank Gill ? He could never pronounce Otulakowski's name.

I think it was Frank Gill who around 1980 when reading out the Grimsby team sheet got to Czuczman, struggled for a few seconds and then said something like 'I'm told he pronounces it Churchman' with a wonderful tone of disbelief in his voice. I seem to remember he was responsible for quite a few gaffes, obviously quite unintentional and all the more amusing for it, such as when playing record requests before a match, for a couple celebrating their ruby wedding he played the then number one, Cliff Richard's 'We don't talk anymore'. Also a horribly politically incorrect one extending 'a warm welcome to the spastic supporters of .....'

sure there were a few issues with this too...

Piotr Malarczyk

In all honesty Phil Gridelet's hair was the best I have seen on a footballer...what was the game he thumped a volley from 25 yards into the South Bank net? Circa 1993/4

Was it Against West Brom on the 27th of December

Micky G is an absolute genius when it comes to mis-pronouncing names, he elevates it to an art form. Presumably he would have a chance to practice at least the names of our home players before he announces them, but a man of his skill obviously doesn't need to. You always know you're in for a treat when he pauses slightly before going for a name.

My personal favourite of his is in recent years when for a few seconds I thought we had signed some mercurial Dutch winger at the last minute who hadn't been reported in the press when he announced with a flourish the advent of one Key Van-Hurst.

Back