• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron sacked Ranger. How do you feel about it now?

it does not really change what I think ....

if he was doing drugs or any crime I would understand - the late thing just sounds a bogus .... and the timing was odd .

maybe he was a really terrible malign influence - i don't know - i thought his football was ok and thought he was enjoying it here but really and truly I have not got a clue -

i have noticed that sometimes expressing an opinion on here gets quite rude and aggressive replies

Would be nicefor someone in the know to really speak out and let us all know what truly happened there,i agree being late is a pretty weak excuse and hardly a sackable offence,would love to know just what really happened .

yep - thats about where I am on this

Good riddance. Has the dream job and doesnt give a toss.

As evidenced we are far better off without him.

I think we made a mistake by giving him a long term contract extension. A lot of players seem to go off the boil once they secure a long term deal.

It's a shame but I think we'd seen the best of him, for some reason I would still like to see him succeed, his talent which is undoubted and the desperation of some clubs to take a punt will always ensure he gets a chance somewhere else.

However I think we are better off without now.

I think we made a mistake by giving him a long term contract extension. A lot of players seem to go off the boil once they secure a long term deal.

It's a shame but I think we'd seen the best of him, for some reason I would still like to see him succeed, his talent which is undoubted and the desperation of some clubs to take a punt will always ensure he gets a chance somewhere else.

However I think we are better off without now.

A long term contract hasn't done Year wood much harm. It's the player, not the term of commitment. On this score the club is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Give a good player - which is how Ranger was viewed at the time - a short term contract and then he goes for a relatively small fee and the club would be at fault as well.

At the time a longer term was seen as a good move.

it does not really change what I think ....

if he was doing drugs or any crime I would understand - the late thing just sounds a bogus .... and the timing was odd .

maybe he was a really terrible malign influence - i don't know - i thought his football was ok and thought he was enjoying it here but really and truly I have not got a clue -

i have noticed that sometimes expressing an opinion on here gets quite rude and aggressive replies
That doesn’t make sense, you expressed an opinion on why Phil sacked him. If Phil didn’t sack him then that opinion must change , or you are dismissing the new info as inaccurate. It has to be one or the other

A long term contract hasn't done Year wood much harm. It's the player, not the term of commitment. On this score the club is damned if they do, damned if they don't. Give a good player - which is how Ranger was viewed at the time - a short term contract and then he goes for a relatively small fee and the club would be at fault as well.

At the time a longer term was seen as a good move.

Maybe so, however I can point to many examples of players who play out of their skin when they are in the final few weeks of thier contract, or wanting a contract as they are effectively on trial and then the moment the longer term deal is secure they go off the boil.

But yes it probably is more the personality of the player but given his previous and the fact he'd breached displicpline before and been inside all whilst with us I think I'd have been saying one year with an option to extend.

As it is we were able to terminate ( presumed without any real penalty to us) anyway so perhaps Ron got it right anyway.

Hope Notts county do take a chance on him and he does sort himself out. There is a nice lad in there, I don't think Ron and PB would have given him so many chances if there wasn't. He's a bit of a child and needs to grow up but I hope he can make a go of it as I think the alternative would see him in trouble.

Enough of this blame someone else over the Ranger nonsense. There is only one person to blame Nile f****** Ranger. He has had more chances than any of us would get in any career and his downfall is totally self inflicted.

I had major doubts when we signed him because from experience I know that if someone's list of offences is to varied then you have no chance. Beating up girlfriends, robbery and fraud to name but a few. Then we had his history at other clubs and what did he do.....Exactly the same to us....plus a few drugs. There has been other issues of the field with Police and landlords etc.

There were many people involved with SUFC from Ron, PB, fitness coaches and nearly all the fans went out of their way to make it work.....Yes he played well after he recovered from injury when we went on that great run from October 2016. The problems started after he was banned by the club over drugs and when he thought he was going down for some serious time over the fraud case.

Yes standing by him and allowing him back had some social merit as the offence was not committed before he signed with us. Plus we had put in the hours so maybe we didn't want another club to benefit etc.

Alas Nile broke the rules in prison so his fitness inside was none existent.....But don't tell me you can't do a full gym programme even locked in a cell. Yes the authorities didn't help by not insisting part of his release was a ban on entering London instead of making him have to be in Tottenham by 20:00.....He still managed to be late checking in for curfew.

Then we ended with splits in the team after the penalty fiasco at Pompey etc.

I was once a pall-bearer for 37 year old ex Firefighter. He had committed suicide a few years after being sacked for two offences that would barley be mentioned if they had happened on a SUFC Christmas knees up....So no I have zero sympathy for the idiot who is known as Nile Ranger but I won't be trying to blame anyone else either.

Some people no matter how nice they seem at certain times are destined to failure so lets forget that clown and enjoy what we have at the moment and support the young men who have earned it, and deserve it.

The only person that can change Nile Ranger is Nile Ranger. He's like an addict. People can try all they like to help him but until he wants to help himself there's nothing anyone can do.

Hear he might be off to Notts County, guess I shouldn't be surprised. Everyone thinks they can change him.

Don't think anyone can help him. Fair play to Phil for even trying but ultimately signing him was a serious reason as to why Phil actually lost his job anyway.

Maybe so, however I can point to many examples of players who play out of their skin when they are in the final few weeks of thier contract, or wanting a contract as they are effectively on trial and then the moment the longer term deal is secure they go off the boil.

But yes it probably is more the personality of the player but given his previous and the fact he'd breached displicpline before and been inside all whilst with us I think I'd have been saying one year with an option to extend.

As it is we were able to terminate ( presumed without any real penalty to us) anyway so perhaps Ron got it right anyway.

I can Ryan Leonard

That doesn’t make sense, you expressed an opinion on why Phil sacked him. If Phil didn’t sack him then that opinion must change , or you are dismissing the new info as inaccurate. It has to be one or the other

no it doesn't ... sometimes I go - oh thats interesting I didn't know that.. AND Sometimes I change my opinion and sometimes I don't ... one or the other or the grey but between .. I gave up thinking I had all the answers a long time ago -

Hope Notts county do take a chance on him and he does sort himself out. There is a nice ladgood player in there, I don't think Ron and PB would have given him so many chances if there wasn't.

Amended for accuracy.

....everyone has improved since the worst manager in recent years left so why wouldn't the most talented bloke we have had on the books recently (Ranger) not have flourished?

The improvement in team spirit probably isn't down to just the departure of Brown. The departure of Ranger has probably helped as well.

....everyone has improved since the worst manager in recent years left so why wouldn't the most talented bloke we have had on the books recently (Ranger) not have flourished?

I don't know what your criteria is for calling Brown the worse manager in recent years, based on his record with us it plainly isn't true.

I don't know what your criteria is for calling Brown the worse manager in recent years, based on his record with us it plainly isn't true.

I saw this too - I suppose 'recent' qualifies as the last 10/15 years, in which case there aren't many to choose from anyway! Tilson, Sturrock and Brown - all did well for us.

It would not surprise me if getting rid of NR was actually something SCP required before taking the job as they are polar opposites & if there was a divided dressing room then even more reason to do so.

Back