Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would Nile ranger have benefited from being managed by Chris Powell

Default Would Nile ranger have benefited from being managed by Chris Powell

Chris strikes me as the kind of manager that prides himself on knowing his players and offering that arm round the shoulder type of management.

Just wondering if he had come in earlier would this have given Nile a lifeline. I guess we will never know but I'm convinced he would have flourished under CP.

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

Sadly, not a chance in hell. PB and Ron couldn't have done more for the guy but he has a persistent self destruct button.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

I had also given that a thought recently,

There have been a lot of stories stating that Ranger was a bad apple and caused a divide in the dressing room (not sure what to believe) it would be one thing to bring Nile to task, but to bridge the division between the players would have been a big ask.

Didnít PB try to take him under his wing? Which was ultimately attributed partially to his downfall... (oh, and those defeats 8 in his last 9 games!)

Ranger must surely be full of regret though. Not sure why, but I actually miss him!

Quote Originally Posted by Floval Flyer View Post
    I had also given that a thought recently,

There have been a lot of stories stating that Ranger was a bad apple and caused a divide in the dressing room (not sure what to believe) it would be one thing to bring Nile to task, but to bridge the division between the players would have been a big ask.

Didn’t PB try to take him under his wing? Which was ultimately attributed partially to his downfall... (oh, and those defeats 8 in his last 9 games!)

Ranger must surely be full of regret though. Not sure why, but I actually miss him!
    Agree, despite everything, he is a very talented footballer, and had the potential to be a top class player destined for a place in the England team. However, like Bilel, Nile doesn't have the temperament to maintain a successful career, as he can't (or won't) knuckle down and work hard to make the best of his ability. Such a shame - but as the onld saying goes, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

Quote Originally Posted by ms brush View Post
    Agree, despite everything, he is a very talented footballer, and had the potential to be a top class player destined for a place in the England team. However, like Bilel, Nile doesn't have the temperament to maintain a successful career, as he can't (or won't) knuckle down and work hard to make the best of his ability. Such a shame - but as the onld saying goes, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!
    Not sure about England but I know Chelmsford prison used to have a team. I played against them about 30 years ago. They always had home advantage which was a bit unfair.

No. The bloke was a complete and utter waste of space. PB giving him special treatment actually ended up playing a big factor into why he lost his own job.

If you could keep Nile Ranger away from London, and his mates. If you could stop him staying out until the early hours, then you have a chance. I don't think even Chris Powell could do that. Don't forget his contract was terminated for reoccurring disciplinary issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2holes View Post
    Chris strikes me as the kind of manager that prides himself on knowing his players and offering that arm round the shoulder type of management.

Just wondering if he had come in earlier would this have given Nile a lifeline. I guess we will never know but I'm convinced he would have flourished under CP.
    Theo Robinson was good mates with Ranger and has been given more of a cold shoulder so Ranger going was one major headache CP won't have to deal with.

To be honest I was happy with the chances afforded to Ranger by SUFC but clearly, whatever was done for him, it was never going to be enough. I wish him well but have no regret that he has now gone on to pastures new. One of the biggest things our team needs to move forward is unity. That appears to be coming together and we don't need anyone or anything that could damage that.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK View Post
    If you could keep Nile Ranger away from London, and his mates. If you could stop him staying out until the early hours, then you have a chance. I don't think even Chris Powell could do that. Don't forget his contract was terminated for reoccurring disciplinary issues.
    Yes, all a bit late now but making him live in Tottenham as part of his release conditions was a disaster by the powers that be. Not that he deserves it but as one of the 3% who leave prison with a job to go to then living in Southend was his only chance.

The way the crosses are coming in now I reckon he'd have scored a few goals and all would have soon been forgiven

Unfortunately in life some people are just rubbish at life in general and take the easy option of failure. A complete waste of space no hoper.
    not always good but never ever boring

Quote Originally Posted by leeblue View Post
    Unfortunately in life some people are just rubbish at life in general and take the easy option of failure. A complete waste of space no hoper.
    ...and some people are rubbish at English....

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

More threads giving stick to Phil Brown please! What fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2holes View Post

Who cares now, but thatís said with a slight tinge of sadness that we want ever know. Ranger though is plain and simply scum and I think that we have dodged a huge bullet but cutting him loose.