• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What a result. Well done boys, Powell, the staff, everyone. :happy:

Outplayed them easily.

I am so excited, I have arrived.
blush%20new%20sept%202010.gif

If that's a euphemism I don't care for it Horace.

Excellent result for the Blues today, sounded like great performances from all the lads. Cox, Mclaughlin and Fortune all deserve high praise. Timlin had agreat game and Anton seems rejuvenated. Up the table we go...... 14th now. Bring on Bury.

Another top class display today, completely unrecognisable from the start of the season. So much desire and quality where there was nothing before. Really strong defensively and clinical in front of goal.

Wigan couldn't cope and didn't know what to do as we got that crucial early goal. They were really poor and panicked by our high pressing game.

Later on we tired and couldn't keep up the pressing which is understandable playing 100 minute games two weeks in a row and with a midweek game ahead.

Whole team played well and as a real unit, keep that level up and we'll finish top half this season and be up there for promotion next year with the right signings.

Oxley 8 Made a couple of great saves and steady throughout.
Demetriou 7 Occasionally caught out by the pa e of their winger but generally good
Ferdinand 8 Solid and good in the air, proved a point
Turner 8 As above
Coker 7 Solid and got forward well a few times
McLaughlin 8 Looked a real threat and dangerous when cutting inside
Timlin 9 Real battle in midfield and he won every tackle
Yearwood 9 As above, superb talent
Kightly 8 See McLaughlin
Fortune 7.5 Worked his socks off, composed finish and made up for a sloppy start but tired late on before coming off
Cox 8 Brilliant work rate and constantly pressing, great work for the third goal

Subs
Ladapo 7 Held the ball up well
Harrison 7 Perhaps should have passed but was selfish and just missed, great foot work but may need to adapt to physicality
McGlashan N/A

Really good performance and afternoon, huge pat on the back to all involved. Good atmosphere around Roots Hall too.

It's happy days now enjoy boys and girls we are going up
In Powell we trust

Fantastic result against the leaders. What a shame that in truth it is too late to make the playoffs but we are beginning to look safe.
The future is the past..Chrissy.

DRU!!!!!

I'd have taken a point. Wigan are a really good side. They don't get beat.

As it happens, they are a really good side but we were better. And at times, considerably better. That was the best performance we've seen at Roots Hall this season. Every single blue shirt ran themselves into the floor and we looked like the team most of us all thought we could (or should be). Again, Kightly, unplayable at times. Again, Timlin a giant in the middle. Again, Turner won everthing. Again, Cox and Fortune men possessed. Again, Dru playing well beyond his years - almost to the point I've forgotten Ryan Leonard.

For those not there. We scored early from a corner. Turner arriving on the end of a flick on to thump the ball home. Once again, we look a threat at set pieces. Macca and Kightly tortured the Wigan defence or the next 30 minutes - a defence that despite its size looked uncomfortable in the cold n wet and didn't like the pitch. The only surprise was that we didn't score a second for some time. When it came it followed another steal from the Wigan midfield, a bit of tippy tappy, a beautiful threaded ball by Cox into the path of Fortune who gleefully stroked the ball home. Crowd goes mad.

Second half under the old regime, we'd have sat back, let them come onto us and hand over the initiative. Not today. Oh no. We came out of the traps and went for a third. Anton had one of the line, Kightly came close. Then they scored, a bit scruffy and it got a bit nervy for ten minutes. Whilst they had the ball they looked dangerous but we matched them. Then we went up the other end, Coker a bit of magic in the corner, Cox creates a half chances and Kightly banged in the rebound. That's three goals in a game in two consecutive home games for the first since (and I had to look this up) 1st April. From then on it was party time. Lapado and Harrison came on, both look useful.

Let's not underplay this. They were top of the league, and probably the best team I've seen on the road this year. They are there for a reason, and frankly we played them off the park at times. Magnificent times. If we can continue to put in performances like that, we will be far closer to the play offs than the relegation zone fairly soon.

Last edited:
DRU!!!!!

I'd have taken a point. Wigan are a really good side. They don't get beat.

As it happens, they are a really good side but we were better. And at times, considerably better. That was the best performance we've seen at Roots Hall this season. Every single blue shirt ran themselves into the floor and we looked like the team most of us all thought we could (or should be). Again, Kightly, unplayable at times. Again, Timlin a giant in the middle. Again, Turner won everthing. Again, Cox and Fortune men possessed. Again, Dru playing well beyond his years - almost to the point I've forgotten Ryan Leonard.

For those not there. We scored early from a corner. Turner arriving on the end of a flick on to thump the ball home. Once again, we look a threat at set pieces. Macca and Kightly tortured the Wigan defence or the next 30 minutes - a defence that despite its size looked uncomfortable in the cold n wet and didn't like the pitch. The only surprise was that we didn't score a second for some time. When it came it followed another steal from the Wigan midfield, a bit of tippy tappy, a beautiful threaded ball by Cox into the path of Fortune who gleefully stroked the ball home. Crowd goes mad.

Second half under the old regime, we'd have sat back, let them come onto us and hand over the initiative. Not today. Oh no. We came out of the traps and went for a third. Anton had one of the line, Kightly came close. Then they scored, a bit scruffy and it got a bit nervy for ten minutes. Whilst they had the ball they looked dangerous but we matched them. Then we went up the other end, Coker a bit of magic in the corner, Cox creates a half chances and Kightly banged in the rebound. That's three goals in a game in two consecutive home games for the first since (and I had to look this up) 1st April. From then on it was party time. Lapado and Harrison came on, both look useful.

Let's not underplay this. They were top of the league, and probably the best team I've seen on the road this year. They are there for a reason, and frankly we played them off the park at times. Magnificent times. If we can continue to put in performances like that, we will be far closer to the play offs than the relegation zone fairly soon.

Do you mean in consecutive home games? We only scored once against Peterborough away last week

Last edited by a moderator:
Timlin was my MOM bossed it plain and simple
I can not praise yearwood enough...im calling him the essex iniesta now.
Ferdinand was excellent as was Turner.
I'm actually looking at a crazy run into the play offs there I've said it

When Leonard left the prospect of Yearwood and Timlin as our middle pairing was a bit daunting. But both of them were oustanding today, how many times did they win the ball back? Incredible. Everyone gets a 10 from me today.

I realise that I’ve been away from the Roots Hall allotments for so long that this next statement is essentially meaningless, but that’s the best I’ve seen Southend play in ages. Not so much on a technical level; I don’t think they’ll be too much of that on display at our place for a while, but in terms of character and courage.

Picking a man of the match out of that would have been a thankless task. Every player was hurling themselves into everything, fighting for every ball, refusing to allow Wigan to settle even for a moment. Timlin and Yearwood were relentless, smashing into tackles again and again. Turner was a dreadnaught, Cox was everywhere. They could have lost that game 4-0 and I’d still have applauded them off the park for their effort. That sort of performance is what you want. Everything else follows from there.

Oxley: Rarely required, distribution got a bit iffy - 6
Demitriou: Guarded his flank well - 7
Coker: Tireless and conscientious - 7
Turner: Would head away a meteorite if it threatened the earth - 9
Ferdinand: Should know not to fly in with studs high, but mostly good - 7
Kightly: Stretched and worked Wigan all day - 8
McLaughlin: Some fine work out wide - 8
Yearwood: Maturing before our eyes. Heart of a lion, brain of a…I don’t know. An owl? They’re quite wise, aren’t they? Yes, let’s go with owl. - 9
Timlin: Ferocious and magnificent - 9
Fortune: Beautiufl finish for goal no.2, worked hard too - 8
Cox: An absolute pain in the arse. But *our* pain in the arse. - 9

Ladapo: Played like a man who hasn’t played much for a while and would like that to change, please - 7
Harrison: Did you see him bring down a 50 yard pass with the outside of his boot without breaking stride? Wow. - 7
McGlashan - Ran on the pitch really quickly. Would have preferred him to dawdle - 6

All round team performance with every player deserving credit for effort and commitment. What a difference in the style of play ,am now enjoying going again due to the style of play......please keep it up Lads and CP

Great team performance again today, never gave Wigan time on the ball, closed everything down, pressured constantly.

Dru and Timlin are a formidable pairing. Dru is such a good player and will only get better. I criticized Timlin this season for his poor performances at LB but my word it's like having a new player. What a transformation under Powell. I can't see how Wright, Wordy or Mantom will get a game at the moment

Oxley 8 Good as usual, not so much to do today
Demetriou 7.5 Put in a shift and supported Macca well
Ferdinand 8 Solid performance, another benefiting from new management
Turner 8.5 Quality, won everything and a well taken goal
Coker 7.5 As per Demi, supported Kightly well and some good play in the corner leading to our third goal
McLaughlin 8 Worked so hard again today closing down and quality going forwards
Timlin 9 Like a new signing, works so well with Dru
Yearwood 9 Never panics, calm on the ball, made numerous ball winning challenges, especially in the first half
Kightly 8 Real quality again. More direct than under Brown, seems to be flourishing under Powell
Fortune 7.5 Works so hard, holds the ball up, just sometimes the wrong decision at the end of good play
Cox 8 Chased down everything, works so hard. Lovely reverse ball for Fortune's goal and a shot from nowhere that led to Kightly's goal

Subs
Ladapo 7 Looked a bit lazy first 5 mins he was on but soon bucked up and used his strength well
Harrison 7 A bit lightweight but I want to see the ball at his feet. He can scare the hell out of defenders.
McGlashan Not on long enough

Chris Powell 10 Set up the team perfectly and we attacked from the off. Now a record breaker too.

Players are flourishing under Powell. Tactics are different, all the players put in 110% effort all the time, it's a real pleasure to watch

Back