Likes Likes:  52
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Worst ever match you saw at Roots Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Otto View Post
    Not at Roots Hall, but the 6-1 loss at Crystal Palace. It was on my 15th birthday 28th September 1996 and I was very excited to be going to an away game with Palace supporting friends family. We were terrible and his granddad wouldn't stop farting in the car on the way home, both Southend united and that car stunk that day.
    How bizarre - it was my 18th birthday on this very day and I also attended the match. Not a good day for birthday celebrations. I seem to recall Ian Wright and Mark Bright running our defence ragged that day.

Another one that sticks in the craw: Southend 0-3 West Brom. Spud Taylor's first game in charge, and a match that should have promised loads with a former hero back as a boss, was doubly disappointing.
    History doesn't have to repeat itself, as we know.

First XI
    Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by LBBlue View Post
    According to Wiki, Rush's last game for Chester was against us on 26 April 1980 when he was 18. He probably played at Roots Hall in December 79. The cup tie was Jan 77. Chester finished 13th in Div 3. We were 10th in Div 4.
    Ian Rush played and scored at Roots Hall in the 4-1 defeat in December 1979, Southend's goals were scored by Derrick Parker with a hat-trick and another by Tony Hadley in front of just 3,885 fans. Ian Rush made only 32+1substitute appearances for Chester before being sold to Liverpool for £300,000 in May 1980 he was the club's top goalscorer with 14 goals. His final appearance for Chester was against us as stated above with Chester winning 2-1 our goal being scored by Derek Spence with just 2,461 in attendance.

Last game of the season (which we won - can't recall opposition), thought we were safe on 52 points and found out we were relegated to the 4th Division on goal difference
    Be delighted, be excited, watch Southend United

Quote Originally Posted by cerbera45 View Post
    Last game of the season (which we won - can't recall opposition), thought we were safe on 52 points and found out we were relegated to the 4th Division on goal difference
    Chester ? When Reading won away at Chesterfield 4 2 after being 2 down at half time and not having won for the previous 3 months ..
    Match was fine...walk home was awful....

I was there for that ive got Chester City in my head?

I think we were still on the pitch when the result came through.
    Be delighted, be excited, watch Southend United

0-0 on Boxing Day. Home against MK Dons. 2005/6? Shocking. Neither club showed any ambition.

Certain Dean Lewington got voted MOM too

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Blue View Post
    oh god, I must have blocked that one out of my mind. The nadir of the Alvin Martin era. I can't believe he stayed on after that.
    And as Billericay Blue says, astonishing that he managed to hold on until the spring. A Friday night game against Hull was his last IIRC?

That was also an awful game, but it had a very happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by kaymac View Post
    2-5 at home to Notts County in 1970 after leading somehow 2-1 at ht....shambolic.
    Quote Originally Posted by fbm View Post
    To be fair, they were runaway league leaders of division 4 at the time.
    Re-writing history for the benefit of the hapless Brian Lloyd ?

Notts County were far from runaway leaders in 11th position. If you're looking for the worst 45 minutes that second half was probably it. We were 20th before (and after) that match. We rallied at the end of the season not least thanks to Billy Best's 11 goals in the last 8 matches to finish safely in 17th. The following season got worse (18th) before it got better !

I wasn't, I was in the car park :(

Are you in this Photo?

https://goo.gl/images/DGXegD

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Up the Shrimpers View Post
    Are you in this Photo?

There's some gold on that page. Wonderful pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    There's some gold on that page. Wonderful pics.
    does anyone recognise the fans in Italy? If so I may have a video they took.
    Who's this Rorschach guy and why is he so good at drawing pictures of my Dad beating me?

Quote Originally Posted by Up the Shrimpers View Post
    Are you in this Photo?

Where's the Cadette goal photo taken. I recognize the ground?