• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not at Roots Hall, but the 6-1 loss at Crystal Palace. It was on my 15th birthday 28th September 1996 and I was very excited to be going to an away game with Palace supporting friends family. We were terrible and his granddad wouldn't stop farting in the car on the way home, both Southend united and that car stunk that day.

How bizarre - it was my 18th birthday on this very day and I also attended the match. Not a good day for birthday celebrations. I seem to recall Ian Wright and Mark Bright running our defence ragged that day.

Another one that sticks in the craw: Southend 0-3 West Brom. Spud Taylor's first game in charge, and a match that should have promised loads with a former hero back as a boss, was doubly disappointing.
History doesn't have to repeat itself, as we know.

According to Wiki, Rush's last game for Chester was against us on 26 April 1980 when he was 18. He probably played at Roots Hall in December 79. The cup tie was Jan 77. Chester finished 13th in Div 3. We were 10th in Div 4.
Ian Rush played and scored at Roots Hall in the 4-1 defeat in December 1979, Southend's goals were scored by Derrick Parker with a hat-trick and another by Tony Hadley in front of just 3,885 fans. Ian Rush made only 32+1substitute appearances for Chester before being sold to Liverpool for £300,000 in May 1980 he was the club's top goalscorer with 14 goals. His final appearance for Chester was against us as stated above with Chester winning 2-1 our goal being scored by Derek Spence with just 2,461 in attendance.

Last game of the season (which we won - can't recall opposition), thought we were safe on 52 points and found out we were relegated to the 4th Division on goal difference

Last game of the season (which we won - can't recall opposition), thought we were safe on 52 points and found out we were relegated to the 4th Division on goal difference

Chester ? When Reading won away at Chesterfield 4 2 after being 2 down at half time and not having won for the previous 3 months ..
Match was fine...walk home was awful....

0-0 on Boxing Day. Home against MK Dons. 2005/6? Shocking. Neither club showed any ambition.

Certain Dean Lewington got voted MOM too

oh god, I must have blocked that one out of my mind. The nadir of the Alvin Martin era. I can't believe he stayed on after that.

And as Billericay Blue says, astonishing that he managed to hold on until the spring. A Friday night game against Hull was his last IIRC?

That was also an awful game, but it had a very happy ending.

2-5 at home to Notts County in 1970 after leading somehow 2-1 at ht....shambolic.

To be fair, they were runaway league leaders of division 4 at the time.

Re-writing history for the benefit of the hapless Brian Lloyd ?

Notts County were far from runaway leaders in 11th position. If you're looking for the worst 45 minutes that second half was probably it. We were 20th before (and after) that match. We rallied at the end of the season not least thanks to Billy Best's 11 goals in the last 8 matches to finish safely in 17th. The following season got worse (18th) before it got better !

From recent memory - all too vivid - this season's debacle "home" (away) to Newport County. Worse ever Roots Hall display under El Tango?

Re-writing history for the benefit of the hapless Brian Lloyd ?

Notts County were far from runaway leaders in 11th position. If you're looking for the worst 45 minutes that second half was probably it. We were 20th before (and after) that match. We rallied at the end of the season not least thanks to Billy Best's 11 goals in the last 8 matches to finish safely in 17th. The following season got worse (18th) before it got better !

Blimey, I was 9 back then and for all these years I had it in my head that we got thumped by the league leaders and eventual champions. Of course, that was the following season for Notts County, but we somehow sneaked at 1-0 win against them at the Hall in that season!

Thanks for the history lesson... the mind plays tricks sometimes...

Back