• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wabo bags hat-trick but poor defending sees Blues' youngsters lose at Aveley

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United’s under 23 team coach Kevin Maher was critical of his side’s ‘terrible’ defending in tonight’s 6-5 defeat at Aveley.

More...

I was really considering going to that, as it's only up the road from me. Mixed emotions on whether seeing us lose or missing out on a 11 goal thriller.

Lots of things happening at Aveley these days, as others have mentioned before on other threads.

They have a 4G pitch which they hire out to the local community and a new stadium with good facilities, so I hear.

Lots of things happening at Aveley these days, as others have mentioned before on other threads.

They have a 4G pitch which they hire out to the local community and a new stadium with good facilities, so I hear.

I thought I would take a jaunt down the A13 to take a look last night, and I was impressed by Parkside. The main stand that houses the bar, changing facilities etc. is great, nice big area with ample seating if required - good selection of drinks available too..

The grounds look well kept and the 4G surface looked great, and in fantastic condition.

One thing I did notice, is there was plenty of room for around the ground, for further expansion if it were ever required.

As for the football, the U23's were a little lacklustre in places, wanted to run through the middle, and didn't make use of the wide men, cant remember one cross going in the box from a wide position. Defending was a not good either, unfortunately. seemed to allow Aveley to get behind easily and there appeared to be a fear of tackling.

I did see some fantastic finishing, from Wabo in particular, and there were some good interplay moments orchestrated through the midfield too - so not all negative - 11 goals well worth £5 in my opinion..

Last edited:
Last time I went to Aveley, it was a bit of a dive. I must go again for a look. Do Grays still play there? Why they can't move to Belhus Park puzzles me a bit.

Yep, my boy's playing in a cup final there next month, facilities are top notch apparently.

Norman Wabo must be retained by us. I'm confident that he will break through to the first team again and become a Southend legend.

I thought I would take a jaunt down the A13 to take a look last night, and I was impressed by Parkside. The main stand that houses the bar, changing facilities etc. is great, nice big area with ample seating if required - good selection of drinks available too..

The grounds look well kept and the 4G surface looked great, and in fantastic condition.

One thing I did notice, is there was plenty of room for around the ground, for further expansion if it were ever required.

As for the football, the U23's were a little lacklustre in places, wanted to run through the middle, and didn't make use of the wide men, cant remember one cross going in the box from a wide position. Defending was a not good either, unfortunately. seemed to allow Aveley to get behind easily and there appeared to be a fear of tackling.

I did see some fantastic finishing, from Wabo in particular, and there were some good interplay moments orchestrated through the midfield too - so not all negative - 11 goals well worth £5 in my opinion..

Cheers 'SS3'

I guess the old ground was sold off for development.

Cheers 'SS3'

I guess the old ground was sold off for development.
It was ,and the new community stadium is fantastic. It's the future for non league clubs generating income and not having to call games off due to the weather . I bet Freddie Gard enjoyed the game!

I must say looking at the photo of Wabo ,he appears to be a strong lad well built too.

At the Northampton match Wabo galvanised the side when he came on for the last 20 minutes - he's strong, has good footballing skills and clearly knows where the goal is and how to put the ball into the net.

Indeed.

He's wasted not getting game time in the 1st team, for me, even if it's only 20 minutes here and there.

It was ,and the new community stadium is fantastic. It's the future for non league clubs generating income and not having to call games off due to the weather . I bet Freddie Gard enjoyed the game!

MO 'hockley'.

Yep, the community usage for the pitch and facilities is a massive thing.

We should send him out on loan to place like of Dag & Red, Bromley or Woking etc for him to get games time at a decent level.

We should send him out on loan to place like of Dag & Red, Bromley or Woking etc for him to get games time at a decent level.

Spot On !
We are poor at this and never do enough of it !
Quote from Norman at end of last season loan ................ " The loan move ( to Cambridge City ) was GREAT for me, I MATURED as a player, going to Cambridge was a KEY MOMENT for me in my career, it CERTAINLY helped MY DEVELOPMENT

Back