Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing in the wrong colours

Default Playing in the wrong colours

Inspired by this snippet I was unaware of

Quote Originally Posted by westie View Post
    Mine too, even though I was only 10 years old. Remember saying to my dad "Why are we playing in Wolves colours?" not understanding in the FA Cup that both teams wear change strips if there's a colour clash.
    Bert Trautmann broke our hearts (and Roy Hollis) that afternoon ... amazing saves.
    what instances can you think of when Southend played in the "wrong" colours.

A few to start you off:

Burnley away mid 90s - we played in Burnley's away kit. I think Bressington got sent off and we lost 5-2 or something.

Walsall at home to celebrate the Trust eradicating polio. Franck Moussa scored a cracker from a long throw. Mooooooooose.

Bristol City at home 05/06, we played in our away kit as the players had thrown their kits into the crowd at Swansea. Wayne Gray scored.
    "probablyDefinitely THE most clueless idiot on here" - according to wiggy

Currently mourning the departure of Franck Moussa.

Appreciating Zaaboub before it becomes fashionable

Does Tony the Kray still post?

Wearing silver for our first national cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Blue View Post
    Bristol City at home 05/06, we played in our away kit as the players had thrown their kits into the crowd at Swansea. Wayne Gray scored.
    Always wondered why we played in the white and black strip that day, makes sense now. Didn't the club shop want to give them another kit haha?

Reminds me of Luke Guttridge in his pants!!

Not Southend, but Port Vale had to wear our red away shirts on the final day of the 2007-08 season as they didnt bring their shirts.
    Who's this Rorschach guy and why is he so good at drawing pictures of my Dad beating me?

I remember us wearing our red away kit for a home game against West Brom in 1996 :

https://youtu.be/W1RkodeMsZM

There was another instance of us playing in red at home that season against Norwich in 1997. The issue that season was teams turning up in a yellow kit clashing with our custard splat shirt!

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

We wore our all-white away kit at home to Plymouth in 2001/02. They had a dark green kit, our home was dark blue, so we switched.

However, later that season, in a game played in brilliant sunshine at Home Park, both sides wore their dark home kits - very confusing for fans and I even seem to recall a penalty maybe being awarded and then rescinded?

I remember going to Mansfield one year probably in late 80s early 90s and Southend took their away kit of yellow not realising that Mansfield played in Yellow shirts and had to borrow their away kit of Red.

The Burnley match was New Years Eve 1994, the match was in doubt of being played because of snow. I remember waiting outside to be told either match on or match off. We played in Burnley's away strip of green and Black half's and lost 5-1.
    The Forgotten Years of the Kursaal The Home of Southend United 1919-1934
    Southend United Under the Shadow of War 1934 to 1946
    Southend United the Boom Years 1946 to 1955

Were West Brom in their yellow and green away kit then?

(I can't get that youtube link to open)

Quote Originally Posted by DoDTS View Post
    The Burnley match was New Years Eve 1994, the match was in doubt of being played because of snow. I remember waiting outside to be told either match on or match off. We played in Burnley's away strip of green and Black half's and lost 5-1.
    What a lovely Christmas present from the fixture computer that was!

Yellow/blue/yellow. Looking a bit like Brazil at first glance.

Probably best you don’t see it as Keith Dublin is playing at left back!

Incidentally between the Wars Southend (as did many clubs) have an away strip of Black and White stripes and it was only when David Jack was appointed manager in 1934 that he changed the away kit to Red to try to bring a bit of Arsenal luck to Southend.

In those days at Easter (and often at Christmas) clubs would often play three games in four days, i.e. Good Friday, easter Saturday and Easter Monday. With long distance away trips and slow roads the club would sometimes not have enough time to wash the kit in time for the match the next day so would end up wearing the kit for a home match.
    The Forgotten Years of the Kursaal The Home of Southend United 1919-1934
    Southend United Under the Shadow of War 1934 to 1946
    Southend United the Boom Years 1946 to 1955

Quote Originally Posted by DoDTS View Post
    I remember going to Mansfield one year probably in late 80s early 90s and Southend took their away kit of yellow not realising that Mansfield played in Yellow shirts and had to borrow their away kit of Red.

I remember the Mansfield game and couldn't work out why their fans didn't cheer when the home team entered the pitch. Then another similarly dressed team appeared and I realised we were wearing Mansfield's away kit. Lost 4-0 in the rain as I recall.
    www.friendsofkatie.co.uk

A "Gullible Sheep", Shrimperzone's "Resident do-gooder" an "Old Fogey" and an "English teacher/vicar/scout leader" - ALL according to Wiggy.