• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Inspired by this snippet I was unaware of

Mine too, even though I was only 10 years old. Remember saying to my dad "Why are we playing in Wolves colours?" not understanding in the FA Cup that both teams wear change strips if there's a colour clash.
Bert Trautmann broke our hearts (and Roy Hollis) that afternoon ... amazing saves.

what instances can you think of when Southend played in the "wrong" colours.

A few to start you off:

Burnley away mid 90s - we played in Burnley's away kit. I think Bressington got sent off and we lost 5-2 or something.

Walsall at home to celebrate the Trust eradicating polio. Franck Moussa scored a cracker from a long throw. Mooooooooose.

Bristol City at home 05/06, we played in our away kit as the players had thrown their kits into the crowd at Swansea. Wayne Gray scored.

Bristol City at home 05/06, we played in our away kit as the players had thrown their kits into the crowd at Swansea. Wayne Gray scored.

Always wondered why we played in the white and black strip that day, makes sense now. Didn't the club shop want to give them another kit haha?

Reminds me of Luke Guttridge in his pants!!

Not Southend, but Port Vale had to wear our red away shirts on the final day of the 2007-08 season as they didnt bring their shirts.

There was another instance of us playing in red at home that season against Norwich in 1997. The issue that season was teams turning up in a yellow kit clashing with our custard splat shirt!

We wore our all-white away kit at home to Plymouth in 2001/02. They had a dark green kit, our home was dark blue, so we switched.

However, later that season, in a game played in brilliant sunshine at Home Park, both sides wore their dark home kits - very confusing for fans and I even seem to recall a penalty maybe being awarded and then rescinded?

I remember going to Mansfield one year probably in late 80s early 90s and Southend took their away kit of yellow not realising that Mansfield played in Yellow shirts and had to borrow their away kit of Red.

The Burnley match was New Years Eve 1994, the match was in doubt of being played because of snow. I remember waiting outside to be told either match on or match off. We played in Burnley's away strip of green and Black half's and lost 5-1.

Were West Brom in their yellow and green away kit then?

(I can't get that youtube link to open)

The Burnley match was New Years Eve 1994, the match was in doubt of being played because of snow. I remember waiting outside to be told either match on or match off. We played in Burnley's away strip of green and Black half's and lost 5-1.

What a lovely Christmas present from the fixture computer that was!

Incidentally between the Wars Southend (as did many clubs) have an away strip of Black and White stripes and it was only when David Jack was appointed manager in 1934 that he changed the away kit to Red to try to bring a bit of Arsenal luck to Southend.

In those days at Easter (and often at Christmas) clubs would often play three games in four days, i.e. Good Friday, easter Saturday and Easter Monday. With long distance away trips and slow roads the club would sometimes not have enough time to wash the kit in time for the match the next day so would end up wearing the kit for a home match.

I remember going to Mansfield one year probably in late 80s early 90s and Southend took their away kit of yellow not realising that Mansfield played in Yellow shirts and had to borrow their away kit of Red.

I remember the Mansfield game and couldn't work out why their fans didn't cheer when the home team entered the pitch. Then another similarly dressed team appeared and I realised we were wearing Mansfield's away kit. Lost 4-0 in the rain as I recall.

I'm sure I read somewhere that once upon a time in the olden days, if there was a colour clash it was the home team that had to wear a changed kit.
That always used to happen in the FA Cup I think. Home team got ground advantage -Away team got to wear their main colours.

Last night's game was a good example.

Why were we playing away in our home shirt of Blue and White, and Bury were playing in their home kit of White and Blue.

Surely we should have played in our usual Orange and Black.?

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we played a home match less than 10 years ago in a special edition "purple colour" for a charity?.....possibly cancer research?.... My memories crap at times. However, I bet that limited shirt is worth a fortune now!?!?

That always used to happen in the FA Cup I think. Home team got ground advantage -Away team got to wear their main colours.

I think that was often the case but not always, sometimes both sides would change for example:

Aston Villa have agreed to lend the United a set of jerseys to play in at Everton as both teams will be changing due to the clash of colours.

F.A.Cup Round 3
Saturday 11th January 1947
Everton 4-2 Southend United
Although beaten by 2-4 by Everton at Goodison Park the United were certainly not disgraced, on the contrary they enhanced their reputation as Cup fighters and they provided the best game seen on the ground this season. The attendance was 50,124 the largest any Southend side has ever played before, and but for the fact that the top deck of one of the stands is out of use due to war damage, there is little doubt that the ground record of 68,000 would have been equalled if not passed. The gates were closed before kick off and thousands were unable to gain admission. Southend were the first out and received a warm welcome as great in fact as Everton as all the usual “Anfield” supporters were over at Goodison cheering on Southend. The United took the field in their borrowed Aston Villa kit of claret and Blue and indeed they glorified the colours more than Villa who lost to Burnley 5-1

Incidentally after the match there was a lot of transfer talk:

Since they were beaten at Everton, Southend United could have enriched themselves by many thousands of pounds by the transfer of players. Everton themselves were first in the hunt, and a First Division Scottish League club have also made overtures. Hibernian, the Scottish Club reputed to be the richest team in the Kingdom recently made offers for two players which were refused and the club was informed that they were wasting their train fares. Nevertheless the Manager Mr. William McCarthy, attended the game against Crystal Palace on Saturday but returned empty handed. A Second Division Club was also represented and were impressed with another player, not the two sought by Hibernian and their handsome offer was also turned down. Far from selling the United are looking out to strengthen the team

I think it was early/mid-Feb. 1989, Pete. Tilly's debut for us too, came on as sub. in the second half. As Hawkwell noted, a 4-0 reverse in the pouring rain on an open terrace. Difficult journey for me via bus to Mansfield & Alfreton Parkway and then a long wait before the train, but on a pleasing note, I did manage to get to The Argyll Arms near Oxford Circus for a couple of swift ones before chucking out time.

Back