• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we played a home match less than 10 years ago in a special edition "purple colour" for a charity?.....possibly cancer research?.... My memories crap at times. However, I bet that limited shirt is worth a fortune now!?!?

That's the one YB referred to in the original post.

Last night's game was a good example.

Why were we playing away in our home shirt of Blue and White, and Bury were playing in their home kit of White and Blue.

Surely we should have played in our usual Orange and Black.?

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we played a home match less than 10 years ago in a special edition "purple colour" for a charity?.....possibly cancer research?.... My memories crap at times. However, I bet that limited shirt is worth a fortune now!?!?

This Home Kit and Away Kit is just a cynical marketing ploy to sell more replica shirts, as is a third kit.

The Away kit is (was) really a change kit for a clash of colours.

As traditionalist I hate it when clubs change colours when there is no clash. This happens particularly in the Premier League.

How does Bournemouth's red and black clash with Huddersfield's blue and white? As for Watford -what other PL colours do they clash with.?

I'd rather see us play in our colour "Blue" than any change kit. A change of shorts colour avoided the clash.
It's been refreshing the number of clubs that have played at Roots Hall in their paler shades of blue without changing colours for the sake of it. Rant over !

That always used to happen in the FA Cup I think. Home team got ground advantage -Away team got to wear their main colours.
I remember when Chelsea played Birmingham in the FA Cup in 1970 , they both played in all blue so they both wore there away strip .

Barnet away one year, we wore our jerseys but borrowed their socks (and shorts?) for some reason that escapes me.

Can't remember the year or the result, but Adam Barrett played that day if it helps to date.

1910/1911 season we had a kit of red and yellow hoops.
1911/1912 our change kit was pink and salmon stripes.

Groovy!

Yeovil are the only team in the EFL to play in green and white hoops. Do they really need a change kit?

Yeovil are the only team in the EFL to play in green and white hoops. Do they really need a change kit?

There is enough white in their kit for it to cause a bit of confusion were they playing Port Vale, Notts Co, etc.

Or Sporting CP in the Europa League. Which may be unlikely.

This Home Kit and Away Kit is just a cynical marketing ploy to sell more replica shirts, as is a third kit.

The Away kit is (was) really a change kit for a clash of colours.

As traditionalist I hate it when clubs change colours when there is no clash. This happens particularly in the Premier League.

How does Bournemouth's red and black clash with Huddersfield's blue and white? As for Watford -what other PL colours do they clash with.?

I'd rather see us play in our colour "Blue" than any change kit. A change of shorts colour avoided the clash.
It's been refreshing the number of clubs that have played at Roots Hall in their paler shades of blue without changing colours for the sake of it. Rant over !

HUZZAH! A kindred spirit, I thought that I was the only one left who felt like this. A changed kit should only be worn in the case of a colour clash not as an opportunity to "shop window" merchandise.

I remember going to Mansfield one year probably in late 80s early 90s and Southend took their away kit of yellow not realising that Mansfield played in Yellow shirts and had to borrow their away kit of Red.

The Burnley match was New Years Eve 1994, the match was in doubt of being played because of snow. I remember waiting outside to be told either match on or match off. We played in Burnley's away strip of green and Black half's and lost 5-1.

Remember that. I said at the time we looked like Aldershot and played like them that day.

Pretty sure I can recall Sheffield Wednesday wearing our alternative strip one Friday evening. The yellow one with the thin chevron's on the chest from about 1979.

EFL Rules

8 Registration of Playing Colours

38.1 During the Close Season, each Club shall notify The League, in writing, details of its ‘home’ and ‘away’ colours (shirts, shorts and stockings) and if applicable any third ‘alternative’ set of colours. The League shall inform all other Clubs, Referees and Assistant Referees of such details. The Home colours so registered by each Club shall be worn for all Home Matches during the next following Season and no changes either in the colours or combination of colours shall be permitted during the course of the Season. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, each Club is authorised on one occasion per Season to play a Home match in an ‘away’ or ‘alternative’ strip.
38.2 When away from home a Club shall play in its registered colours and shall ensure that the registered colours (shirts, shorts and stockings) to be used are clearly distinguishable from those of their opponents.
38.3 When playing on neutral ground Clubs will determine either by agreement or the toss of a coin which of them should be deemed to be the Home Club.
38.4 Upon receipt of the match official appointments it is the responsibility of both Home and Away teams to provide the Match Referee and their opponents with details of the colours of shirts, shorts and stockings of both outfield players and goalkeeper to ensure that any issues can be addressed before the match date.
38.5 The colour of the Goalkeeper’s shirt must, in all cases, be clearly distinguishable from the colours of the shirts worn by the Match Officials and all other Players.
38.6 In adverse weather conditions the Goalkeeper may wear tracksuit trousers acceptable to the Referee.

Torquay away Tues 3rd March 1987 we played in Torquays away kit. Got in the ground late just as a penalty awarded to the team in Blue, great I thought as didn't recognise the yellow shirts! Then realised it was a pen for Torquay. We lost 2-1. Crowd was only about 1,300 and still a bit of trouble outside after the game.

November 2006 we played Plymouth at home and wore our white away kit. I would assume they only brought their green kit which obviously clashed with navy

bObWSjS.jpg

Just wishing to confirm that for many,many years if there was a clash of colours for an FA Cup match,BOTH teams had to change.

Think it was August 78...league cup..away v Wimbledon.
We went by car(remember Bif).Think we got there a few minutes late,went straight into the Dons end and when i looked onto the pitch,im sure BOTH teams were wearing Dons kit!!
If i remember(minds not gone)...Southend turned up with their BLUE kit,the same colour kit as WFC,so they lent us their away kit..very confusing
Im sure im right

Just wishing to confirm that for many,many years if there was a clash of colours for an FA Cup match,BOTH teams had to change.

Indeed. Both teams had to change in three consecutive Cup Finals some (okay, many) years back. You'll know which team was in the third of them!

Back