Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing in the wrong colours

I'm sure I read somewhere that once upon a time in the olden days, if there was a colour clash it was the home team that had to wear a changed kit.
    The Minx from Minsk

Quote Originally Posted by seenyeva kryevyetka View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that once upon a time in the olden days, if there was a colour clash it was the home team that had to wear a changed kit.
    That always used to happen in the FA Cup I think. Home team got ground advantage -Away team got to wear their main colours.

Last night's game was a good example.

Why were we playing away in our home shirt of Blue and White, and Bury were playing in their home kit of White and Blue.

Surely we should have played in our usual Orange and Black.?

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we played a home match less than 10 years ago in a special edition "purple colour" for a charity?.....possibly cancer research?.... My memories crap at times. However, I bet that limited shirt is worth a fortune now!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by LBBlue View Post
    That always used to happen in the FA Cup I think. Home team got ground advantage -Away team got to wear their main colours.
    I think that was often the case but not always, sometimes both sides would change for example:

Aston Villa have agreed to lend the United a set of jerseys to play in at Everton as both teams will be changing due to the clash of colours.

F.A.Cup Round 3
    Saturday 11th January 1947
    Everton 4-2 Southend United
    Although beaten by 2-4 by Everton at Goodison Park the United were certainly not disgraced, on the contrary they enhanced their reputation as Cup fighters and they provided the best game seen on the ground this season. The attendance was 50,124 the largest any Southend side has ever played before, and but for the fact that the top deck of one of the stands is out of use due to war damage, there is little doubt that the ground record of 68,000 would have been equalled if not passed. The gates were closed before kick off and thousands were unable to gain admission. Southend were the first out and received a warm welcome as great in fact as Everton as all the usual “Anfield” supporters were over at Goodison cheering on Southend. The United took the field in their borrowed Aston Villa kit of claret and Blue and indeed they glorified the colours more than Villa who lost to Burnley 5-1

Incidentally after the match there was a lot of transfer talk:

Since they were beaten at Everton, Southend United could have enriched themselves by many thousands of pounds by the transfer of players. Everton themselves were first in the hunt, and a First Division Scottish League club have also made overtures. Hibernian, the Scottish Club reputed to be the richest team in the Kingdom recently made offers for two players which were refused and the club was informed that they were wasting their train fares. Nevertheless the Manager Mr. William McCarthy, attended the game against Crystal Palace on Saturday but returned empty handed. A Second Division Club was also represented and were impressed with another player, not the two sought by Hibernian and their handsome offer was also turned down. Far from selling the United are looking out to strengthen the team
    The Forgotten Years of the Kursaal The Home of Southend United 1919-1934
    Southend United Under the Shadow of War 1934 to 1946
    Southend United the Boom Years 1946 to 1955

Quote Originally Posted by DoDTS View Post
    I remember going to Mansfield one year probably in late 80s early 90s and Southend took their away kit of yellow not realising that Mansfield played in Yellow shirts and had to borrow their away kit of Red.
    I think it was early/mid-Feb. 1989, Pete. Tilly's debut for us too, came on as sub. in the second half. As Hawkwell noted, a 4-0 reverse in the pouring rain on an open terrace. Difficult journey for me via bus to Mansfield & Alfreton Parkway and then a long wait before the train, but on a pleasing note, I did manage to get to The Argyll Arms near Oxford Circus for a couple of swift ones before chucking out time.
    Saturday Night Noxious Society > http://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/ < 10/10.

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattitouk View Post
    Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we played a home match less than 10 years ago in a special edition "purple colour" for a charity?.....possibly cancer research?.... My memories crap at times. However, I bet that limited shirt is worth a fortune now!?!?
    That's the one YB referred to in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by mattitouk View Post
    Last night's game was a good example.

Why were we playing away in our home shirt of Blue and White, and Bury were playing in their home kit of White and Blue.

Surely we should have played in our usual Orange and Black.?

This Home Kit and Away Kit is just a cynical marketing ploy to sell more replica shirts, as is a third kit.

The Away kit is (was) really a change kit for a clash of colours.

As traditionalist I hate it when clubs change colours when there is no clash. This happens particularly in the Premier League.

How does Bournemouth's red and black clash with Huddersfield's blue and white? As for Watford -what other PL colours do they clash with.?

I'd rather see us play in our colour "Blue" than any change kit. A change of shorts colour avoided the clash.
    It's been refreshing the number of clubs that have played at Roots Hall in their paler shades of blue without changing colours for the sake of it. Rant over !

I remember when Chelsea played Birmingham in the FA Cup in 1970 , they both played in all blue so they both wore there away strip .

Quote Originally Posted by londonblue View Post
    Wearing silver for our first national cup final.
    Please don't remind us of those shirts .

Barnet away one year, we wore our jerseys but borrowed their socks (and shorts?) for some reason that escapes me.

Can't remember the year or the result, but Adam Barrett played that day if it helps to date.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat

1910/1911 season we had a kit of red and yellow hoops.
    1911/1912 our change kit was pink and salmon stripes.

Groovy!

Yeovil are the only team in the EFL to play in green and white hoops. Do they really need a change kit?
    That Curly Bob is a jolly good chap!

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Yeovil are the only team in the EFL to play in green and white hoops. Do they really need a change kit?
    There is enough white in their kit for it to cause a bit of confusion were they playing Port Vale, Notts Co, etc.

Or Sporting CP in the Europa League. Which may be unlikely.

This Home Kit and Away Kit is just a cynical marketing ploy to sell more replica shirts, as is a third kit.

The Away kit is (was) really a change kit for a clash of colours.

As traditionalist I hate it when clubs change colours when there is no clash. This happens particularly in the Premier League.

How does Bournemouth's red and black clash with Huddersfield's blue and white? As for Watford -what other PL colours do they clash with.?

I'd rather see us play in our colour "Blue" than any change kit. A change of shorts colour avoided the clash.
    It's been refreshing the number of clubs that have played at Roots Hall in their paler shades of blue without changing colours for the sake of it. Rant over !
    HUZZAH! A kindred spirit, I thought that I was the only one left who felt like this. A changed kit should only be worn in the case of a colour clash not as an opportunity to "shop window" merchandise.
    The Minx from Minsk

This could be the Twitter account for you - https://twitter.com/kitcrimes?lang=en

(I'm with you too gents!)

On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the shops)

Quote Originally Posted by DoDTS View Post
    I remember going to Mansfield one year probably in late 80s early 90s and Southend took their away kit of yellow not realising that Mansfield played in Yellow shirts and had to borrow their away kit of Red.

The Burnley match was New Years Eve 1994, the match was in doubt of being played because of snow. I remember waiting outside to be told either match on or match off. We played in Burnley's away strip of green and Black half's and lost 5-1.
    Remember that. I said at the time we looked like Aldershot and played like them that day.

Pretty sure I can recall Sheffield Wednesday wearing our alternative strip one Friday evening. The yellow one with the thin chevron's on the chest from about 1979.
    Twitter: @RobertFox278 SIMPLICITER SE NUNQUAM DIMISIT