• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Happy to keep a clean sheet although we never really looked like conceding. Turner was my mom. Shame we didn't really look like scoring either despite plenty of good positions and some tricky, effective play on the left in the first half. Kights looked good until replaced and then McGlashan never really got going. McL got better as the game went on.
Last time I saw Southend was Shrewsbury at home in December- this is a completely different side! A team willing to go for it and put in a real shift for each other. Glad for the change and the players look like they are too.
Well done traveling fans. Decent noise for a frozen Tuesday night.

Comments about the game from the Bury fans messageboard-
https://www.gigglane.com/index.php?/topic/31205-bury-fc-vs-southend-united/&page=3

Interesting to hear them say they thought we were one of the better teams they've played this season and one fan said we looked like a top six team. Lots of their fans made Tommo MOM - I suppose it helps him playing alongside an experienced pro like Peter Clarke. :winking:
Thompson had a pretty decent game I thought and was clearly up for it.

Only heard it on the Radio, but you know we are doing ok when the home team makes a sub and changes formation at half time to counter one player , but fair play to Bury, it sounded like Harrison was far less effective when man marked . Although probably not helped by the loss of Kights

2 points dropped IMHO. We controlled 75% of the game overall and most of the 1st half. Their keeper made 4 very good saves and was MOM. With better finishing from our other chances to score which were many should have ended clear winners by 2 or 3-0. I feel just one goal would have knocked the fight out of Bury who were up for the fight but not quite up to the fight. Pitch did'nt help as had patches of just flattened mud in many places which cut up easily.

Anyone have a view on the "penalty incident" at the other end?

It was at the other end of the pitch and therefore a long way from the play but I thought the referee was just allowing play to continue (as the ball dropped to Dru) to see if we would score before he was going to blow ............. but it was not to be.

Anyone have a view on the "penalty incident" at the other end?

It was at the other end of the pitch and therefore a long way from the play but I thought the referee was just allowing play to continue (as the ball dropped to Dru) to see if we would score before he was going to blow ............. but it was not to be.

There are some extended YouTube highlights on the other thread that show the incident.

Yes, no arguments over that. A clear penalty. But the Middlesbrough loanee 'keeper would have saved it, he was having a dream game.

Nice quote from the Bury fans board:

'We did well last night, Southend are a very good side and probably the form team in the division since Chris Powell took over, how on earth were we level at half time. Then the management team did their job, I know Laurents had some criticism but dropping him deeper in midfield stopped them playing their triangles. All the players did their best for the shirt on a difficult pitch and it was a very hard earned point. None of the teams around us will be looking forward to playing Southend that's for sure.'

Nice quote from the Bury fans board:

'We did well last night, Southend are a very good side and probably the form team in the division since Chris Powell took over, how on earth were we level at half time. Then the management team did their job, I know Laurents had some criticism but dropping him deeper in midfield stopped them playing their triangles. All the players did their best for the shirt on a difficult pitch and it was a very hard earned point. None of the teams around us will be looking forward to playing Southend that's for sure.'

Yes - I'm not sure quite how many real options C.P. had on the bench but had Brown still been in charge I feel there would have been some criticism on here that the management team did not make our own changes earlier in the 2nd half as a result.

Still, onwards and upwards.

Back