Likes Likes:  69
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bury FC 0 - 0 Southend United

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

Default Bury FC 0 - 0 Southend United

A clean sheet and a point. Views and all the other stuff here please.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Blog Entries

Another step in the right direction

A real game of two halves.

We had the best of the first half and Ladapo and Harrison were causing them all sorts of problems. Harrison looks a really talented player but perhaps not always on the same wavelength as his teammates at the moment. I’d hope that will come after a few games together though. Reminds me of Leroy Sane in his style.

Second half, Bury went more direct and lumped the ball into Hanson and played off the scraps. Those sorts of balls are meat and drink for experienced centre halves like Turner and Ferdinand though and we dealt with their onslaught quite comfortably I felt. We seem to have grown a backbone from somewhere, I think earlier in the season we’d have lost this game but that point could be vital come the end of the season.

Disappointing not to get the win but without Cox and then Kightly after half time, we lost a lot of our quality playmaking in the final third.

Freddie Ladapo for me looks a bit rusty but does have pace and power. Harrison is tricksy with good feet but quite lightweight. These two will definitely play their part this season but we definitely missed Simon Cox tonight.

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

Normally 0-0 against the bottom club in FL1 might be considered 2 points dropped, but Bury were definitely up for the scrap tonight. They weren’t the most skilful of teams but they had plenty of heart and effort. Thankfully their finishing skills were equal to ours tonight, not very good. Too many players, on both sides, snatched at chances or wanted to take another step before shooting. The few clear chances that did come along ended up in the stands at either end and neither keeper was really tested.

The good points for us tonight were that we battled for every ball, more often than not won the second ball and had the best of the midfield encounters. Timlin especially was immense tonight. His tackling was first rate and he put his head in places where only Timlin will put it. Dru was his able deputy but he didn’t have the same composure as he did against Wigan, blowing some not difficult chances in front of goal. Up front Ladapo and Harrison got their first starts and had some good moments, especially in the first half. Again a lack of game time for them was evident in some of the rushed finishing. McLaughlin and Kightly again looked dangerous and it was unfortunate that Kightly had to go off injured.

A special word of praise goes to Anton tonight. I thought that he and Turner had a great game between them not really giving Hanson a sniff all evening. So a point on the road and nothing conceded and Timlin getting my MoM.

Roll on Saturday and a big noisy crowd at Roots Hall. The good times are back again it seems.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Coach

Happy here.
    Bring on Pompey. COYBB

Would have been a two nil defeat if played six weeks ago. A solid point, respect to the away faithful this evening!

In the end it is another point and another game to add to the unbeaten run. I feel Bury were a litte underrated by some - current form puts them 12th in Lge 1 and us 8th so overall I think a point on a cold damp night in Greater Manchester is to be considered a point gained rather than 2 lost!
    First Match - SUFC 3 Gillingham 1 (20/04/84)

Exiled Kent Shrimper

How good is Timlin at the moment, gone from a useful squad player to our best man on the pitch under Powell, sign him up for another contract!

10 points in four games. Thank you lads, enjoy your pizzas on the motorway. Noticed Portsmouth threw it away tonight against Blackburn, roll on Saturday.

10 points from SCP first four games against the opposition we have had is an immense effort. 0-0 is no disgrace tonight against a team desperate for points.

Positives: clean sheet, front two got game time as did the improving Anton
    negatives: kightly injury, such a shame just when we were seeing the best from him

hoping the Cox personal issues aren't too bad.

Roll on Saturday, a packed roots hall and another big game
    Billericay Shrimper

Away clean sheets under Brown in 17/18: 1
    Away clean sheets under Powell in 17/18: 2

Poor away runs are as much about confidence and belief as anything else. Think we could have stolen it on another night but Bury were clearly fired up and would have beaten a lot of teams in this league tonight.

Buy All At Sea online

@allatseafanzine

All At Sea, as seen in the Sun, the Southend Echo, the Guardian and FourFourTwo magazine.
    Contribute: allatseafanzine@hotmail.com

Another point on our quest for survival. Three more wins will probably be enough now, let's start with Pompey on Saturday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_saafender View Post
    A real game of two halves.

We had the best of the first half and Ladapo and Harrison were causing them all sorts of problems. Harrison looks a really talented player but perhaps not always on the same wavelength as his teammates at the moment. I’d hope that will come after a few games together though. Reminds me of Leroy Sane in his style.

Second half, Bury went more direct and lumped the ball into Hanson and played off the scraps. Those sorts of balls are meat and drink for experienced centre halves like Turner and Ferdinand though and we dealt with their onslaught quite comfortably I felt. We seem to have grown a backbone from somewhere, I think earlier in the season we’d have lost this game but that point could be vital come the end of the season.

Disappointing not to get the win but without Cox and then Kightly after half time, we lost a lot of our quality playmaking in the final third.

Freddie Ladapo for me looks a bit rusty but does have pace and power. Harrison is tricksy with good feet but quite lightweight. These two will definitely play their part this season but we definitely missed Simon Cox tonight.
    I pretty much agree with the above. The last time I saw us was at Scunthorpe, and we were a completely different team in the first half at least tonight.

One thing I noticed was Harrison jumping for headers, the way I was taught at school many years ago, with hands by his sides. None of his arms flailing around that Alan Shearer insists is required for purchase. He got the height without giving away silly freekicks.

I have some sympathy for Bury - their ground has "character" (just like Roots Hall) and they are adrift at the bottom of Division 3 after some high hopes at the beginning of the season. There are 2 big teams a few miles away in Manchester with money to burn and who draw in "fans" from a wide area. The "home" end of Gigg Lane was empty and the other 3 stands were less than half full - 2,795 crowd says the B.B.C.

Bury got rid of the ball from defence when needed and played down the channels. The pitch wasn't too bad but it wasn't good either - some poor patches didn't help midfield play for either team.

But we started the first half in great style - Tims, Ladapo and Kites having good chances, some intricate triangles and neat work before we began to sink down to the same level as Bury and the game started to stagnate for quite a while until we came towards half time when it seemed only a matter of time before we scored - Ladapo again getting in good positions but the chances came and went and then the players disappeared down the tunnel. The game had that feel that if we scored one we would go on and score more.

2nd half and Bury came out and played very well for 10 minutes or so - causing problems and some goal threat. McGlashan wasn't up to speed, Tims and Dru were misplacing passes and Kites was clearly being missed but the game then settled down into a rather turgid affair at times. And again it is only my opinion but I felt we were tiring as the game wore on.

Harrison couldn't get in the game and was, for me, trying "too hard" when he did eventually get the ball. Ladapo was isolated and Thompson had him in "his pocket" for much of the time. I think the formation was more of a 4-4-1-1. Both players will have benefited from this game but their relative lack of experience showed at times.

Eventually Fortune came on and a couple of late chances could have seen us go home with all 3 points but I'm not sure we would have completely deserved it.

And there it is - a freezing cold night, average game and the unbeaten run continues. Hope Cox is back for Saturday.
    Last edited by Rattus Norvegicus; 14-02-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Cake

After filling the TZ faithful with far too much cake on the way up a freezing cold night in the Manchester suburbs offered up the prospect of three points against the bottom team. However, in the circumstances it turned out be an excellent point.

For various reasons we started with the two new boys up front. Always a risk that, but I gather CP's hand was forced by a Cox domestic issue.

A difficult game to properly assess. We were the better side in the first half. Played some tidy football. Macca particularly was a handful and quite often made it to the bye line. Lapado had a decent effort battered away by the keeper and there were lots of ooh and aah moments. Bury didn't offer much going forward. Second half was more evenly matched with neither side making much of a threat. They had one cleared off the line and McG blasted over when he should have hit the target. It's really quite difficult to tell what we did up their end given the vantage point.

Disappointed to lose Kightly, he has been the player we've wanted to see recently. Timlin was one again huge in the middle, even if Dru was a little more subdued than Saturday. Defence was solid and never really stretched. Turner, for me, our best player. Just looks a class act. The general concensus was that we'd have found a way to lose that a couple of weeks ago, so ultimately more progress.

Bury, to their credit, defended like lions at times without ever looking like scoring. 0-0 was a fair result, and probably one we knew was coming quite early on.

244 of us made that journey, and made a bit of noise in the process. Well done us.