• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pompey in the early 90s. 4-0 I think with a Paul Walsh hat trick. We got a lift from a Pompey fan neighbour and were played off the park.

0-5 loss at Carlisle in the 90's....To this day, Andy Harris' performance still brings out a cold sweat.
1-2 At MK, to add to the misery on the arctic conditions, we got caught in traffic and actually missed Goaters early goal. 0-2for us.
0-2 Aldershot, mostly because we were 1-0 up against ten men when the lights went out, and they 'couldn't get them back on'; so obviously we were gonna get stuffed in the replay. It's bad enough visiting that ground twice in a season, more so when one was a waste of time....more so when their player got let off a sending off, whilst our players missed the second game due cumulative bookings...just a total shafting. I spent the entire replay being furious at how unjust the whole situation was.
1-1 At Grimsby, the fact the fans were able to influence the game (I remember Prior not being able to take a throw in) and that it blew up early. I remember before the game, Ron (and take this with a pinch of salt) saying he'd provided policing money to help Grimsby due to the number of fans we are taking, so for the game to be called off early because one of the worst sets of fans I've ever encountered wanted to get on the pitch. God I hate Grimsby.

Has anyone mentioned a 5-1 loss away at that mighty footballing club that is Hartlepool? *

Our goal (Belgrave?) came as a very late consolation I think. Rob Newman scored (or nearly scored) an own goal, poor weather, rubbish result (clearly), long journey and a total waste of money and time. :sad:

* To be fair, Hartlepool has had some famous players come through it's ranks.

The Gillingham 8 -1 debacle is up there along with the pasting at Crystal Palace.

Yes Gillingham was awful. I'd earlier seen the 9-1 defeat at Brighton in 1965 but, strangely perhaps, it doesn't come close to being the worst away game. We were without our goalkeeper and Ray White had to deputise. We were without our star centre-forward, Eddie Firmani , who'd scored in both the two matches before and went on to score in each of the three matches afterwards. Derek Woodley played in a centre-forward role (probably for the only time in his career!).

We got the goal of the match; there was some quality football from Brighton.

Another silver-lining to this cloud was the subsequent signing of Trevor Roberts who came into the team a few weeks later and then played over 100 consecutive matches.

Frankly, this season's dross at Wimbledon was worse than that 9-1 defeat.

Can’t remember what year, but it was Port Vale in the 90’s. We got stuffed 5-0 and the supporters coach was a morgue on the way home. No wireless hand held interweb thingy to occupy us on the way home, just our own misery!

I think it was Steve Guppy and Jon McCarthy(?) who tore us apart down the flanks. Was Vale Park the widest pitch in the country or something?

We'd gone something like 8 matches unbeaten since.... losing 4-1 at Stoke (on Ronnie Whelan's debut)

Has anyone mentioned a 5-1 loss away at that mighty footballing club that is Hartlepool? *

Our goal (Belgrave?) came as a very late consolation I think. Rob Newman scored (or nearly scored) an own goal, poor weather, rubbish result (clearly), long journey and a total waste of money and time. :sad:

* To be fair, Hartlepool has had some famous players come through it's ranks.

I think Belgrave chested (it wasn't with head or feet) in our goal that day. At least it wasn't as bad as Carlisle.

Karma, of course, worked it's way to those Grimsby pitch invaders as they were relegated to the Conference and we ended up in The Championship not long after!

Losing 5-0 at Rotherham this season wasn't a classic.

From memory a 5-0 defeat away at Carlisle still haunts me. Trevor Fitzpatrick up top and Neville Southall in goal. Recipe for disaster.

For my worst ever away matches I have decided to pick out two games in particular. Although they were a long time ago they still live long in the memory for various reasons:-
Friday 7th.Feb.1970. Workington 5, Southend United 0. The only saving grace for me personally was that the then Southend manager Ernie Shepherd was good enough to give me a lift home on the players coach. In that particular season from the 6th.Sept 1969 through to the 16th.March 1970 we played a total of 20 away league and cup(2)matches with the following record 1 win 2-0 at Colchester United in Nov. with goals from Eddie Clayton & Sammy McMillan) and 19 defeats in which we scored only 8 goals,(Billy Best 2,Gary Moore 2,Phil Chisnall 2,Eddie Clayton & Dave Chambers 1 each). Three of those goals Chisnall 2, & Clayton were scored in the away match at Crewe Alexandra at the end of Jan. In 13 of those matches we failed to find the net and in that period of time we conceded 46 goals.
The other match in question was played on the 15th.Jan. 1971. Newport County 3, Southend United 0. I have seen many away defeats in my 56 years of following the Blues but this match was in fact Newport's first league win that season their record when we played them on that Friday night at Somerton Park was 4 draws and 21 defeats with a goal difference of 19-55.

For my worst ever away matches I have decided to pick out two games in particular. Although they were a long time ago they still live long in the memory for various reasons:-
Friday 7th.Feb.1970. Workington 5, Southend United 0. The only saving grace for me personally was that the then Southend manager Ernie Shepherd was good enough to give me a lift home on the players coach. In that particular season from the 6th.Sept 1969 through to the 16th.March 1970 we played a total of 20 away league and cup(2)matches with the following record 1 win 2-0 at Colchester United in Nov. with goals from Eddie Clayton & Sammy McMillan) and 19 defeats in which we scored only 8 goals,(Billy Best 2,Gary Moore 2,Phil Chisnall 2,Eddie Clayton & Dave Chambers 1 each). Three of those goals Chisnall 2, & Clayton were scored in the away match at Crewe Alexandra at the end of Jan. In 13 of those matches we failed to find the net and in that period of time we conceded 46 goals.
The other match in question was played on the 15th.Jan. 1971. Newport County 3, Southend United 0. I have seen many away defeats in my 56 years of following the Blues but this match was in fact Newport's first league win that season their record when we played them on that Friday night at Somerton Park was 4 draws and 21 defeats with a goal difference of 19-55.
Where would this club be without supporters like you Dave ,:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

Talking of the Fitzpatrick, above, somewhere in the darkened annals of SUFC history is a photo or myself and a work colleague handing Fitz the match ball after he was given the MOTM award. Our company were the match ball sponsors.

It was a tedious 1-0 home win over Scarborough, IIRC.

Towards the end of the 65-66 season we were in the bottom 4,never having previously been relegated.I was sitting “revising” in the school library and as lunchtime approached,I allowed a couple of friends to persuade me to dash with them to fill up some of the empty seats on the supporters’ coach heading to Mansfield who were just above us in the table.We were abysmal,lost 2-0 and got relegated.Both their goals were scored by a future Blues’ manager,wing-half Peter Morris.

Can I offer up the 2 games away at Scunny last season - we all know we have a miserable record at that soulless "stadium"* and these 2 games epitomised how completely sh_ite we are there.

You go to the game knowing that we are going to lose, you watch the team knowing that we are going to lose and then you go home knowing that we have lost.

* I certainly wouldn't give Glanford Park the honour of being called a football ground.

Can 'worst' equate to most disappointing? If so, Yeovil away 1963, FA Cup - back then, a non-league side beating a third tier side was rare. It was a long way, and nothing to show for it.
Ditto: Aylesbury, and who in God's name would go to Carlisle on a 1998 January day for a 5-0 caning? My hand is raised reluctantly.

watched the match across the road from the southend standard office clifftown road they held the latest scores up on a sheet of paper in the window still remember the gasps when we ............. lost ..... low tech or what.

Talking of the Fitzpatrick, above, somewhere in the darkened annals of SUFC history is a photo or myself and a work colleague handing Fitz the match ball after he was given the MOTM award. Our company were the match ball sponsors.

It was a tedious 1-0 home win over Scarborough, IIRC.

I suspect it was 14 October 2000 against their rivals York.

That was the only 1-0 win Fitzpatrick scored in and I can't imagine him being given man of the match in a match he didn't score in.

He scored in one of my best away matches - Webby's return at Blackpool when on as sub he completed the comeback from 2-0 down with a last minute equaliser. For some reason we were playing on a Sunday that day.

Although not a defeat, Grimsby 2005 was hideous not only for the end result but for their absolute cretins of fans inside the ground and out, and the police weren't much better. Absolutely backwards, the people and the place. I still can't stand that club to this day.

For more traditional awfulness, losing 3-0 to Col Ewe at Layer Road when Maher and Gower got sent off was pretty grim. I had a decent day out at Rotherham earlier this season so I won't include that one, but having watched the Bristol Rovers game on iFollow I have sympathy for anyone that went, would award it the worst performance of the season up against some pretty stiff competition.

I also remember going to Wrexham in the early 2000s. I had to get a rail replacement bus from Crewe, barely time for a pint before the game, lost 3-0, straight back on the rail replacement bus back to Crewe.

Anything involving trips to Carlisle, Luton and Grimsby.

I have a self imposed travel ban to any of the above places for my own sanity and mental wellbeing.

Towards the end of the 65-66 season we were in the bottom 4,never having previously been relegated.I was sitting “revising” in the school library and as lunchtime approached,I allowed a couple of friends to persuade me to dash with them to fill up some of the empty seats on the supporters’ coach heading to Mansfield who were just above us in the table.We were abysmal,lost 2-0 and got relegated.Both their goals were scored by a future Blues’ manager,wing-half Peter Morris.

That was a real "four-pointer" match with the two teams only separated by our slightly superior goal average before kick off.
Relegation was confirmed shortly after a defeat at Hull a couple of matches later. Huge crowd 30,000+. Hull celebrated promotion. Firmani was sent off. Probably not much fun for any Blues fan there!

I suspect it was 14 October 2000 against their rivals York.

That was the only 1-0 win Fitzpatrick scored in and I can't imagine him being given man of the match in a match he didn't score in.

He scored in one of my best away matches - Webby's return at Blackpool when on as sub he completed the comeback from 2-0 down with a last minute equaliser. For some reason we were playing on a Sunday that day.

It's because England were playing Germany in the last ever game at old Wembley on the Saturday, so we moved to avoid clashing. I wish we hadn't, could've done without seeing Did Hamann and Germany become the last player / team score at the old Wembley.

Back