Likes Likes:  69
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst ever away match

Default Worst ever away match

For me.. Hull City 4 SUFC 0 2007.
    Dean Windass sticking a hatrick past Daryl Flavs and i'm damn sure we never had one shot on target all game. Think i read something about Sodge in the hotel up to something the night before ? But the worst display i can remember. Going down from the Championship, sinking ship, horrid norfern town and Windyarse showing off. Worst drive home ever.

Grimsby in 2005. A day when everything just went wrong from the minute the coach broke down. Don't think that will ever be beaten for my worst away match - hope not anyway!
    "If you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain," David Brent.

Rotherham last year
    Grimsby
    Newport 76-77 Season

Quote Originally Posted by shrimpboy View Post
    Grimsby in 2005. A day when everything just went wrong from the minute the coach broke down. Don't think that will ever be beaten for my worst away match - hope not anyway!
    yep I was on that coach, jumped in a taxi in the end just to try and get to the game in time, had the worse view ever as well

29 Aug 1987 Gillingham v Southend United L 8-1 League Division Three

God I hate those Kent scum bags

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorpebayshrimper View Post

That was certainly my worst away match too.
    “The funniest mortals and the kindest are those who are most aware of the baffle of being”

Tonight at Seven-Thirty, W.H. Auden.

Scarborough away in the cup. It seemed unseasonably mild on the way up (a Tuesday evening). The temperature rapidly plunged, I bought a fleece at the services. Half time 0-0. Pasty was all pastry and no filling, tea horrible, lost 1-0, the PA bloke must have said "Well done, Scarborough!" at least 30 times at the end. Only a home tie to Chelsea next round anyway. Got home 03:30 and in work 0600 same morning. "Did you go?". Hmph.
    That Curly Bob is a jolly good chap!

Mind you, they did score our goal!
    That Curly Bob is a jolly good chap!

Can 'worst' equate to most disappointing? If so, Yeovil away 1963, FA Cup - back then, a non-league side beating a third tier side was rare. It was a long way, and nothing to show for it.
    Ditto: Aylesbury, and who in God's name would go to Carlisle on a 1998 January day for a 5-0 caning? My hand is raised reluctantly.

Yes, that gets my vote too, truly awful.
    Close second was a 5-0 defeat at Hartlepool a few seasons later.

That get my vote as well, who remembers the train journey back?
    Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've been watching us away for 20 seasons now usually about 3-4 games per season in the Yorkshire / Lincs area and luckily have yet to see a really bad defeat - however our performance at Chesterfield a couple of seasons ago was very poor - we lost 3-0 and barely mustered a shot on target all game. At the time were were mid to upper table and Chezzy were about 4 from the bottom so on paper we would should at least have been expecting a draw.

It started badly when a lively Lee Novak rounded Bentley early on to score, didn't get any better when we were 0-2 down at half time and by the time a third was added a short range header about halfway through the 2nd half I was thinking blimey we are bad tonight.
    First Match - SUFC 3 Gillingham 1 (20/04/84)

I remember the Gillingham game we'll, two weeks later I went to Notts county and we lost 6-2, then a week or so later we lost 4-1 at Port Vale on a Monday night. My only other away game that season was a long trip to Sunderland and another hiding 7-0 ��. I think I might've been a bit of a jinx that season.

Hector Of The House Benfleet A1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I lived in Exeter I went to a few games away with them. Went to Doncaster ( the old Racecourse Ground) got soaked and beat, one of the chaps got himself nicked so had to wait for him then when we stopped on the way back we took a kicking off a load of Leicester. I ended up with a split head and another still hasn't found his nose, that went everywhere. One to forget.
    Lord, in your mercy please give my friend a stroke

Life President

Couldnt say the absolute worst as my memory is awful, but I recall Oxford away in the mid 90s (EDIT: Looked it up, 24/8/96) Think we lost 5-0 and had to stand on open terracing whilst it absolutely hammered down all game.

Also weather related, an away trip to MK Dons under Tilly I think when they were in the hockey stadium. Temporary seated open stand and it was absolutely BITTER and was an awful game. We probably lost, but my eyes froze over so I didnt see the finish.
    Chrissy Powell's Barmy Army!