• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
The Super Blues under SCP keep rolling on....:loyalsupporter::cheers::drummer:

All after game ratings/comments etc here please. GTFI

Match report: Southend United 3, Portsmouth 1

A BRACE from right-back Jason Demetriou saw Southend United secure a fourth win in five games with a 3-1 victory against Portsmouth at Roots Hall.

More...

What a turnaround. Simply outstanding. Win the next 2 and i WILL start dreaming. Fortress Roots Hall this season for sure.

CP Manager Of The Month - more like manager of the season !!!!!!!!

icon1.png

I'll start by saying something stupid. I actually enjoyed more watching the game (not the result) against Bury on Tuesday. Having said that, I'm over the moon with the result. Didn't think (apart from the first quarter of an hour) that we played particulary well today but the three points are MASSIVE. What is it between us and Pompey, it doesn't often finish with 22 players on the pitch at the end. Remembering that crazy trip and night in Portsmouth where we had a man sent off and turned the game around with ten men, I didn't feel supremely confident when they went down to ten. However, with one or two scares we managed it and following a terrible miss from Harrison, Demitriou made it safe. Once we got the third everything became easier and more controlable.

We can dream. Whilst we could conceivably reach 70+ points if we keep playing like this (13 from the last possible 15), Plymouth have got 15 points from a possible 15 and are already six points ahead of us. Is the poor form of Bradford and Scunthorpe really likely to continue?

Who cares? At the moment we can dream of rocketing on into the play-offs.

We can dream. Whilst we could conceivably reach 70+ points if we keep playing like this (13 from the last possible 15), Plymouth have got 15 points from a possible 15 and are already six points ahead of us. Is the poor form of Bradford and Scunthorpe really likely to continue?

Who cares? At the moment we can dream of rocketing on into the play-offs.

I have a feeling of deja vu

Kumbaya

The more I watch what is unfolding before me, the more I am astounded that a few weeks ago we were a team with RELEGATION stamped on it's head. Now, its a case of what might have been. I'm absolutely loving this. The football is great, its entertaining and we are getting value for money. And we are winning too.

So today, another blistering start. Harrison was credited with the goal, but media outlets have it as an own goal. Either way we've either seen a young man open his account or a cracker of an oggie. But I don't care. That shut up the Pomponians for a few minutes. Then up pops Jason Demetriou. The same Jason Demetriou we used to hound last season because he wasn't very good. But guess what? He is. He is very good and by the end of the day would be our top scorer. Anyhow, he was on the end of some decent interplay, a great layback from Macca and rifled home a goal of the season contender past the flying keeper. We had chances for a third. Dru went close. But it was Pompey who got a goal with their only real attack of the half. Bundled home, but you feel the defence could have done better.

That changed what was a comfortable 2 goal lead to a nervy opening to the half. Portsmouth, to their credit, upped their game and we were made to work a lot harder. We still created thing, Harrison missed a header. They had a couple of cross shots that couldn't find a helpful foot. Meanwhile, Turner won absolutely everything. Anton looked nothing like the Anton of a month ago. Dru and Timlin bossed the middle.

Then the game changed when Thompson committed was is best described as "attempted murder" on Coker. I'd like to see it again, because whilst the challenge had all sorts of things wrong with it, it seemed to miss Coker initially. Coker going down afterwards, but clearly in a lot of pain. Did their guy have a stamp afterwards?

Anyway, it settled up a bit, and then Demetriou became our top goal scorer. We broke, the ball with Dru who stormed down the middle, Dimi sprinted past him at some lick. Dru rolled him through and Dimi slotted home. 3-1, game over.

Highlights today
Turner - won everything. The man is immense.
Dimi - you can't ask much more than what he gave today. Two fantastic goals.
Timlin - bossed the midfield and minded Dru through the game
Cox - Ran after lost causes all day long. Really could do with a goal.

And I'll note the referee who in my view was outstanding. Letting players play and letting players tackle.

Well I'll take that all day long! That was a funny game, we came out of the blocks and could have been three up with a bit more composure. But there were large periods where it was scrappy and some of our passing didn't come off, and the sending off helped us as Pompey were coming back into it. I'd agree that Turner was immense and was my MOM, he seems a completely different player from under Brown, and is just everywhere.

Harrison was good and a nice move for the goal, Lapado is a funny one, at times he holds it up well but a lot doesn't quite come off for him. But everyone put in a shift and Yearwood again was great - he's a great tackler and did well for the third. Big shout to Demetriou for the goals, although I'm still a little bit wary of his defending. Thought Anton and Coker were also solid, why Pompey fans were booing him I don't know as it looked like an awful tackle for the sending off. McLaughlin had quite a poor game by his own recent standards. Oxley made one good save with a one on one towards the end.

Pompey's fans were excellent and great to see Roots Hall packed. Good to hear our fans in good voice too. Jamal Lowe was their best player by a mile, thankfully he couldn't shoot on target.

One great thing about watching on iFollow is they zoom in on Sir Chris Powell at the end and show him patting the back of every Southend player coming off, shaking the hand of the opposition players and referee. It's so different from PB who was just so un-gracious compared to Sir Chris.

Did we ever sing PB's name? I don't ever recall?

Onwards and upwards!

Oxley 7 - didn't really have much to do but got a tackle in well at the end when their striker got through

Demitriou 8 - a few people were questioning whether his attacking attributes were overstated earlier in the season but he's shown how good he can be going forward today, had a good game defensively as well.
Anton 7 - Looked solid again although lost his man a couple of times
Turner 8 - Wins everything in the air
Coker 7 - Typical performance from him, although I thought he dithered for their goal and probably could have helped out his teammate.

McLaughlin 5 - Thought he had an off game today, very little came off for him aside from his assist and his crossing was wayward.
Yearwood 8 - Looked fantastic again, thank god we've got him on a long term contract because clubs higher up the pyramid are going to be looking at him soon.
Timlin 7 - he might not be a LB but he's a very good defensive midfielder, given how shaky our defence has been at times this season he's helped ease the pressure on them a lot.
Harrison 7 - looks very skillful but clearly isn't a winger, seemed to always need someone else to cross it for him and he didn't do much defensively. I'd rather see him in the middle because he looks a real threat that could make centre backs very uncomfortable.

Cox 7 - really needs to work on his long shooting because it was poor today but he held the ball up well and played some lovely balls.
Ladapo 6 - his touch is far too heavy for my liking and doesn't play the sort of intelligent balls our other 3 strikers can do. Does look powerful in the air to win 50/50s but I'm not sure whether he suits a style where we're playing a few passes along the ground before we take a shot.

Subs

Fortune 7 think he steadied the ship when we were starting to look a bit uncomfortable, held the ball up well as usual.
Wright 6 - didn't really get involved in his cameo
Elvis na

A good all round performance. Defended well, attacked well. Disappointed to have conceded. Timlin tracked their player for, 40 or 50 yards but never put a tackle in. Get in the penalty area and it's too late. Otherwise another cracking game from Timlin.

Dru had another cracker too. I love how he gets the ball, shields and turns on a sixpence and off he goes. Great run and perfect ball to Demi for the 3rd goal

So the sir Chris Powell of Southend never losing a game again road show continues.
A real feature of all the games under Powell (I wasn't at bury sorry) seem to have a pattern. Come out the blocks super quick and intense, right on the front foot. Lovely to see of course. Then a spell of containment seems to follow.
Today's game no different....excellent play out wide with full backs bombing on. 2nd goal was real quality and the third came off a peach of a pass from druuuuuuu.
Oxley 6 not much to do really
Demetriou 8 two goal hero food defensive work too
Turner 8.5 MOM a masterclass in defending today
Ferdinand 7.5 excellent from Anton
Coker 7 great workrate and defending
Timlin 7.5 workrate and tenacity in abundance
Druuuuuu 7 quiet 1st half...ridiculous composure and skill 2nd half
Macca 6...other than an assist not a good game
Harrison. 6 bit lightweight some good bits here and there...missed an absolute sitter
Cox 7...some clever at again
Lapado 7 thought he was very good 1st half today played big.
A great result today.

Think we had a bit of luck on our side today but we earned it through 100% effort and commitment across the board. Yearwood stood out again, what a talent! Not convinced that Ladapo is better than Fortune. Pompey looked a decent side and the red card came at the perfect time as we were under a spell of pressure.

Back