• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

An amazing impact by Powell. He seems to have unleashed some of our players attacking prowess and just got 100% out of everyone. Why can't we get to the play-offs we look unbeatable.

Shrewsbury, Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham would be four reasons! That leaves two places. In their present run of form Plymouth look nailed on for one of those who would replace the two possible flakey sides in the play-off places (Charlton and Scunny). Hoping that Scunny will have a complete drop off in form would seem to be our only hope but we're 12 points behind them, even if we have a game in hand. That's all assuming our bubble won't burst (or at least deflate a bit).
I think sufficient points for a top six place this season will be quite high (at least 75 points) We can get a max of 83, meaning that 3 losses in the last 13 would end our hopes............that's quite a big ask!
Funnily enough and ironically, Charlton may be the reason we won't achieve being in the top six. If we hadn't beaten them on Boxing Day, Brown may have gone earlier and who knows what would have happened against Shrewsbury, AFC Wimbledon and Northampton?
Anyway enjoy the footbal (I am) and if the miracle of play-offs came off............well that really would be the cherry on the cake. I'm already looking forwards to 2018/9.........now that COULD be interesting!:smile:

He is a steward in the West. We checked with the head steward and it turns out he was suffering from high blood pressure, but because he collapsed he was taken to Southend A&E as a precaution. He is expected to be back for the next home game. We talk to the lad regularly before games and he is a really nice bloke, hopefully he will be fine soon.

Thats good news I was at the end of his row. Brilliant treatment from the Paramedics :Worthy:

IMO that was an enjoyable game, with the right result and the better, harder working team winning BUT there were large periods of the game where both sides struggled to fit 3-4 passes together without giving the ball away and where there were a lot of high long hopeful balls forward that were largely "head tennis" sessions dominated by big central defenders.

No corners in first half? few in the second? and very few free kicks in dangerous shooting or crossing positions? to me that suggests SCP and Pompey had done their homework and had defending plans well laid.

The difference and extra that we had was more attacking intent from Dru, Demi and Harrison; plus Cox worked his socks off (much more than Pitman).
OK so MacL didn't have a great game but he, (and Ledapo) put in a shift that kept things ticking.

No Shrimper had a poor game and the team spirit was there plain to see.

Shrewsbury, Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham would be four reasons! That leaves two places. In their present run of form Plymouth look nailed on for one of those who would replace the two possible flakey sides in the play-off places (Charlton and Scunny). Hoping that Scunny will have a complete drop off in form would seem to be our only hope but we're 12 points behind them, even if we have a game in hand. That's all assuming our bubble won't burst (or at least deflate a bit).
I think sufficient points for a top six place this season will be quite high (at least 75 points) We can get a max of 83, meaning that 3 losses in the last 13 would end our hopes............that's quite a big ask!
Funnily enough and ironically, Charlton may be the reason we won't achieve being in the top six. If we hadn't beaten them on Boxing Day, Brown may have gone earlier and who knows what would have happened against Shrewsbury, AFC Wimbledon and Northampton?
Anyway enjoy the footbal (I am) and if the miracle of play-offs came off............well that really would be the cherry on the cake. I'm already looking forwards to 2018/9.........now that COULD be interesting!:smile:

Personally think that 72 points will be 6th spot. It would take a monumental effort but IF we can get within 3 or 4 points with a handful of games to go, we may have a shot.

Personally think that 72 points will be 6th spot. It would take a monumental effort but IF we can get within 3 or 4 points with a handful of games to go, we may have a shot.

Looking at a random selection of 8 previous season end tables, 71 would have done it in all of them.

Actually he did, a couple of times, which is why I have Anton higher rated than Turner today. That is to be nit picking though, I think the spine of our team worked and was worked incredibly hard today. Ferdinand and Turner showed every bit of experience they have, Timlin and Cox in front of them also. I thought Tims was terrific, Dru possibly trying too hard - he wasn't as good as in previous home games and I did get the feeling that they were trying to lay him a goal on a plate for his birthday. Demi though was on another level, defensively not so good but boy, did he get himself forward.

Spoke to Johnny White, Woody and Ted before kick off, everyone was enjoying the sunshine! Love the fact that Lenny came back to see us today, and presumably, was quite impressed by Dru. Hope the lads are taking him out for an 18th birthday celebration to remember this evening.

Ox - 7, didn't have a huge amount to do but wound the Pompey crowd up
Demi - 8, two goals - from a full back!
Turner - 8, loving the partnership he's formed with Anton, great header of the ball
Ferdinand - 8.5, one of Anton's best games for us
Coker - 7.5, worked hard dealing with their #18
McLaughlin - 7, felt sorry for him, was deemed to be the only outlet throughout the 2nd half and they need to look at that, put him under a lot of pressure. Also feel it's not right for a winger to be dropping back into a full back position as much as he needed to
Yearwood - 7.5, the lad is growing in stature, much as Lenny did before him
Timlin - 8, the General continues to impress, to make good tackles and to improve the performance of others around him
Harrison - 8, thought the lad was immense in the 1st half and then we didn't use him as much in the 2nd. Has the ability to make a name for himself
Cox - 9, my MOTM, he so needs a goal! Worked incredibly hard, kept trying to set up goals for others
Ladapo - 7.5, he's really not a target man but he did ok, more so in the 1st half

Subs:
Fortune for Ladapo - 7.5, did ok when he came on, he is our best "holder up of the ball"
Wright for Cox - 7, good to see him back
Bwonomo for Demetriou - n/a

Officials:
I'm no fan of Lee Probert but I thought he did ok today in allowing play to continue

Normally agree with your views OBL and once again this is pretty much how I saw it yesterday.

Dru seems to get a longer leash than many with our fans as he’s a youth prospect so IMO regularly gets higher ratings than his performances deserve. He has been outstanding recently but I felt yesterday he was trying a little too hard and wasn’t having the same impact on the game as in previous weeks. As it was his birthday that’s totally forgivable though. Would have loved to have seen him score.

For me, Timlin continues to surprise me. This guy is playing out of his skin at the moment and is hitting the sort of levels we were getting from him when he first arrived on loan all those years ago. Undoubtedly a Southend legend in my eyes for what he’s put himself through for this club and there’s no one better I enjoy watching a resurgence in form from.

Turner was probably MOM and just looks an absolute rock back there and the base on which the whole side’s performances in recent weeks have been built upon. Coxy needs a goal but what I love about Simon is he offers you so much even when going through a dry spell. He wins balls you never fancy him to and is a constant pain in the arse for whoever is marking him. Offers so much to the side.

It’s funny how people see the game differently because for me I didn’t think Ladapo started well at all. I felt like nothing was coming off for him for like the first half an hour but then for the next 20-30 he grew into the game, things started to come off for him and he was maintaining possession more and offering much more for the side. By the time he was substituted I felt he’d warranted enough for his inclusion but no doubt room for improvement, But everyone else seems to think he started well and faded?

Macca had an off game and I do wonder if putting our wingers on opposite flanks for the entire game is the best plan long term. I know it’s coz Powell would want them to drive infield and take shots on with their stronger foot but I’d argue it also keeps them on their weaker foot when trying to beat a man and stick a cross in. Maybe we could have them on the opposite flanks for a spell in games and then switch at some point to keep the full backs guessing? That may well have happened yesterday to be fair but don’t think so? Thoughts?

All in all a decent display and as others have said it feels great to be going to games and being entertained again. Those last few months under Brown really were hard viewing and this feels very much like a new beginning with very much the same squad.

Anybody know how to get the league table after the Fleetwood game? Just wanted to see how far adrift of the Play offs we were then.

We were in 18th, and 12 points away from the playoffs immediately after that game.

We dropped down to 20th, and 15 points away the next week when the game against Rochdale was postponed. And that's how we stood before Chris Powell's first game.

We were in 18th, and 12 points away from the playoffs immediately after that game.

We dropped down to 20th, and 15 points away the next week when the game against Rochdale was postponed. And that's how we stood before Chris Powell's first game.

So we’ve halved the deficit in five games - 4 of which looked very tricky on paper, particularly given our form up to that point. We definitely could make the playoffs if we keep this form up, no doubt about it. We’ll need to win key games - Plymouth and Rotherham for a start, and probably need 9 or 10 wins from 13 games. Tough? Yes. Doable? Yes. Probable? Debatable.

Dad and I have gone 2 ways on the newbies. I think Harrison may have a future whereas Ladapo doesn't impress me at all. In fairness to dad..Ladapo played better than Harrison yesterday...however Harrison was definitely out of position and didn't seem to have a clue what to do there. For me..whilst Ladapo won a few scraps here and there including one which led to the first goal..he often gets smaller when he jumps, and has a lot to learn about using his large body to affect. As my old man says...we shall see...we shall see.

Dad and I have gone 2 ways on the newbies. I think Harrison may have a future whereas Ladapo doesn't impress me at all. In fairness to dad..Ladapo played better than Harrison yesterday...however Harrison was definitely out of position and didn't seem to have a clue what to do there. For me..whilst Ladapo won a few scraps here and there including one which led to the first goal..he often gets smaller when he jumps, and has a lot to learn about using his large body to affect. As my old man says...we shall see...we shall see.

Dads are wise, that's their job!:winking:

Officials:
I'm no fan of Lee Probert but I thought he did ok today in allowing play to continue

What has he done to earn your antipathy ? He has only refereed Southend once in the last 10 years, at Port Vale, and, if you were there, you didn't comment adversely at the time. In stark contrast to many referees, he was far better than "ok". He was outstanding.

On the plus side..Rochdale now have another game (replay v Spurs)...here's hoping that they focus on the tv exposure / money...and when we come up against them in the re-arranged game, it'll bode well....UTB :happy:

What has he done to earn your antipathy ? He has only refereed Southend once in the last 10 years, at Port Vale, and, if you were there, you didn't comment adversely at the time. In stark contrast to many referees, he was far better than "ok". He was outstanding.

I do wish you would stop picking on me, I've seen him ref Prem games many a time on the telly box and thought him well below the standard we would normally expect at that level.

I do wish you would stop picking on me, I've seen him ref Prem games many a time on the telly box and thought him well below the standard we would normally expect at that level.

Persecution complex alert ! Not picking on you at all. Just wondered why you disliked a good referee when there are so many who aren't good that you could dislike instead. For example the one on TV late afternoon today.

Back