• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On the plus side..Rochdale now have another game (replay v Spurs)...here's hoping that they focus on the tv exposure / money...and when we come up against them in the re-arranged game, it'll bode well....UTB :happy:

I don't know about that, they looked pretty useful and certainly belied their position at the bottom of the league. Interesting about the pitch having been re-layed, don't know whether that is to our advantage or not but it looks as though we could be in for quite a tasty game..........IMHO the three points are far from certain.

Persecution complex alert ! Not picking on you at all. Just wondered why you disliked a good referee when there are so many who aren't good that you could dislike instead. For example the one on TV late afternoon today.

Bobby Madeley or another one? And you do often pick on what I say, it's not a complex, I assure you!

That was a fantastic match yesterday. I have seen us play better overall than we did yesterday, but we played still like a team. All for one and one for all. The commitment and effort yesterday was astounding, and yet again, we made a very good side look ordinary. Long may it last, it is very good to watch and I am enjoying Saturdays immensely again!

Oxley - 7 - Not really involved, made a couple of decent saves when called upon.

Demetriou - 8.5 - MOM. Very strong defensive play, and has a very good attacking game that has just been seriously unleashed!
Coker - 7 - Taken to the captaincy like a duck to water. Good, solid performance.
Ferdinand - 8.5 - First class performance, won pretty much everything. Looks like he is regaining his form, now the idiots need to get off his case. Looked very p'd off with their player after that challenge on Coker, I think it was Shayon who talked him down.
Turner - 8 - Clever, looked like the old Turner in his prem days.

McLaughlin - 6 - Not to his recent standards.
Timlin - 7 - Not quite the level of performance as against Wigan.
Yearwood - 7 - the birthday boy looked like he was trying a bit too hard. A bit of inexperience, as to be expected, fantastic prospect.
Harrison - 6 - First time I had seen him start, looked a bit nervy, relaxed into the game a bit. Good potential, and some very intelligent touches.

Cox - 7 - like the Duracell bunny, keeps running and running. Desperately needs a goal now, hope it comes good for him soon.
Ladapo- 7 - Very strong, far more strength than you would expect for someone with his very slim frame. Bags of energy, will be a handful for any defence.

Subs

Fortune - 8 - A serious class act.
Bwomono - A couple of moments game time, all adds to his experience.

was surprised again with our early onslaught, and it is great to see us scoring for fun in the first half hour leaving the opposition to chase the game. What a turnaround. Just hope the inevitable manager of the month that I think is coming doesn't derail the great escape!

Keep up up the good work, loving this!

. What a turnaround. Just hope the inevitable manager of the month that I think is coming doesn't derail the great escape!

Pretty stiff competition from Derek Adams at Plymouth and Paul Warne at Rotherham for that at the moment.

I do wish you would stop picking on me, I've seen him ref Prem games many a time on the telly box and thought him well below the standard we would normally expect at that level.

I thought the same when I saw him warming up, and voiced my concern, BUT I was very wrong, he had a very good game.

Bit late doing my ratings, very happy to win again despite not hitting the heights of the Wigan performance.

Oxley 7 - No real saves to make, consistently good kicking.
Demetriou 8 - 2 goals :Worthy: Perhaps could have done better for Portsmouth's goal.
Coker 7 - Steady performance, got forward when he could.
Turner 8 MOM - Immense in the air, I don't think he missed a header all game.
Ferdinand 7 - Kept up his improved form under Powell.
McLaughlin 5 - Under par sadly, hopefully a one off as he's been great recently.
Timlin 7 - Good performance again, gave the ball away a bit more than recently.
Yearwood 7 - Ditto Timlin, seems to be growing in confidence but held on to the ball too long on a couple of occasions.
Harrison 6 - Decent first half, and instrumental in the opening goal. Faded after the break and loses a point for that horrendous headed miss.
Cox 7 - Not as good as against Wigan, but kept trying as usual.
Ladapo 6 - Not sure what to make of him TBO. A few nice touches and good hold up play, but isn't a target man and didn't ever look like scoring.

Subs
Fortune 6 - Failed to make much of an impact.
Wright and Bwomono - Not enough time to rate.

ref 8 - Nice to see a decent referee for once :thumbsup:

Not our best performance, but they say winning ugly is the sign of a good team. 13 points out of 15 is hugely impressive, Thankyou Chrissy, long may it continue. :happy:

Bobby Madeley or another one? And you do often pick on what I say, it's not a complex, I assure you!

Yes, Bobby Madley. He's not even the best referee in his family !

This is a discussion forum. You make a comment about a referee or anything else; someone has a differing, complementary or even complimentary point to add and they add their post - that's how it works. If I say anything you disagree with or don't understand, please do respond.

Yesterday afternoon started with a good quality pint in the sunshine at the Cricketers and got better with another committed and motivated team performance against Pompey. 2-0 up after 12 minutes and playing well. 2nd half a bit scrappy but getting the 3rd goal calmed the anxious moments. Turner was my MOM and the ref was very good compared to the usual whistle happy part timers we normally get allocated.
Afternoon finished with getting a ticket for Oldham and another decent pint to celebrate in the Railway. Lets hope the resurgence continues. What a change since Fleetwood at home.
Onwards and upwards fellow Shrimpers. Bring on the Latics!

So we’ve halved the deficit in five games - 4 of which looked very tricky on paper, particularly given our form up to that point. We definitely could make the playoffs if we keep this form up, no doubt about it. We’ll need to win key games - Plymouth and Rotherham for a start, and probably need 9 or 10 wins from 13 games. Tough? Yes. Doable? Yes. Probable? Debatable.
Those historic league tables from earlier stages of the season are interesting. Yes, we have made up 8 points on the sixth placed team (Charlton) over the last five games. Keep this run going as we have done on a few occasions in previous seasons and anything is possible as far as the play offs are concerned. Likely? Possibly not but it is definitely more fun at the moment.

By the way, based on home matches alone, we are fifth with 32 points. Only one team (Rotherham) has more points at home than us. The other 3 teams above us also have 32. Fortress Roots Hall again and a better more disciplined set of away performances and anything is possible.... ��

We were in 18th, and 12 points away from the playoffs immediately after that game.

We dropped down to 20th, and 15 points away the next week when the game against Rochdale was postponed. And that's how we stood before Chris Powell's first game.

That is a cracking return to go from 15 off to just 7 in 5 games is ridiculous. It makes the next few games vital. If we can just come up on the shoulder of 6th spot with 2 or 3 games to go it will be a magical end to the season.

With Oldham Walsall and Blackpool coming up we need to take 6 or 7 from those games. Take 9 and I'll be convinced we will do it.

I went home Saturday thinking that was a great performance by all the players, and a great win against a very decent team. Of course now I have had a read of the zone, I realise I obviously wasn't paying any attention to the game.

So here's my view on it all.....For a start lets clear one thing up, Pompey had a very good mid-field.....One of the best I have seen this season. They were strong, moved the ball quickly, could pass and looked dangerous going forward. So some of the players who had an 'off' day actually were playing well to contain Pompey.

Some of you won't like this but CP had obviously given them some thought in his own team selection. He obviously didn't fancy McG to do anywhere near the job McL did down our Right. Even in the 91stminute at Bury McG gave the ball away stupidly just outside our box and we could easily have lost that match.

I know some of you pre match were looking to swap things around but with mid field players and Wright not yet match fit, Harrison on left was the best option. No he is not a winger, as in a traditional wide man, but that's not the only option for left and right mid field. For start you still have to defend, you need to be in the game for a possible 90+ minutes and you have to have an end product.

Another great early start at RH. I was critical of Freddie at Bury for his heading but a good jump and a well placed header and up pops Harrison right down the middle....Good first and second touch which caused their guy to slide, in a desperate effort and it sails in the top left. Own goal yes but thanks to the new kids on the block.

Second goal McL lays a lovely weighted and inviting ball for Demy. Swept firmly in the far corner with the confidence of a man who takes and score penalties.

Anton was challenging and winning every header at this stage with the confidence of knowing Turner can sweep. In the second half late on under pressure Turner took over and won every header. Outstanding partnership between them. Yes a couple of times some very god footballers skipped past a challenge from them but that's what good players like Jack Payne or Dru are more than capable of doing. But more importantly the young Pompey fans, walking through the car park after, were looking for a reason for Pittman not being in the game. There were of course two main reasons....Anton and Turner. That's why some fans from places like Portsmouth and Millwall resort to racist or family abuse and some of you should remember that when you hear some idiot claiming its their 'right' as paying fan to abuse him. When Anton dives down the tunnel that's a shame on us all.

Back to game....At 2-0 we looked comfortable at the back but were wasteful going forward. Call it complacency as we have been in this safe 2-0 zone a few times recently but with good options players went for 30+ yard shots rather than look to finish the match. Suddenly at 2-1 they came back into it and for the first time I thought 2 goals weren't going to be enough.

The sending off came at a vital time for us, as their mid-field were really starting to tick. The challenge was definitely studs over the top but Coker's late reaction meant the 3,000 12th men in the East were a little slow to do our job but we got there in the end. Just after that the man who can't pass (Timlin) puts the cross of the day onto an unmarked and slightly stretching Harrison but he glanced it wide.....Still that will teach him he should have been out on the left touchline rather than finding space in the middle of the penalty area.

Dru was looking for birthday glory on his first two runs, much to the annoyance of CP. The key moment was his 3rd run. For those of you who are being to critical, lets remember on his 18th birthday he clearly learnt a lesson Jack Payne never did at RH......Once you have drawn all the defenders toward you if you lay a perfectly weighted ball into space....Is almost impossible to defend.

Of course you might need someone to burst a gut to get there.....So step, or rather sprint forward my MOM Jason Demetriou As we were reminded last Tuesday, all the effort and good play in the world never counts if you don't score. Two superbly finished goals in a season when far to many simple chances have been missed.

Oldham away and then Walsall at home. With plenty of the season left, lets not study league tables for to long, just make sure you get yourself down to the Hall and bring a friend or two. If your a Shrimper its always best to enjoy it why you can.

Dad and I have gone 2 ways on the newbies. I think Harrison may have a future whereas Ladapo doesn't impress me at all. In fairness to dad..Ladapo played better than Harrison yesterday...however Harrison was definitely out of position and didn't seem to have a clue what to do there. For me..whilst Ladapo won a few scraps here and there including one which led to the first goal..he often gets smaller when he jumps, and has a lot to learn about using his large body to affect. As my old man says...we shall see...we shall see.

I make you right on Ladapo 'Trav'.

I'd need to see more of him, but I don't see him as an improvement on players we have had here that haven't overly cut it or even players who are already here.

I can see him as a half-decent squad player, but I wouldn't want to be 100% sure without a few more viewings.

I make you right on Ladapo 'Trav'.

I'd need to see more of him, but I don't see him as an improvement on players we have had here that haven't overly cut it or even players who are already here.

I can see him as a half-decent squad player, but I wouldn't want to be 100% sure without a few more viewings.

I'm sure he is never going to be a prolific goalscorer I've seen plenty of signs that he can play the big man role well. Defenders find it tough to go over him and certainly can't go through him. I thought first half he looked good in the air and some good link up play on the deck. Certainly giving 100%

I'm sure he is never going to be a prolific goalscorer I've seen plenty of signs that he can play the big man role well. Defenders find it tough to go over him and certainly can't go through him. I thought first half he looked good in the air and some good link up play on the deck. Certainly giving 100%

I'm with the others. His positioning was poor, often the wrong side. Diidnt seem to gamble on any runs in behind.

His touch was woeful.

He was completely dominated by their ponytailed defender.

The fact that fortune came on and show more in 20 mins at the end says a lot. Mug that same defender twice in 5mins.

I'm with the others. His positioning was poor, often the wrong side. Diidnt seem to gamble on any runs in behind.

His touch was woeful.

He was completely dominated by their ponytailed defender.

The fact that fortune came on and show more in 20 mins at the end says a lot. Mug that same defender twice in 5mins.

Love differing opinions on the same thing viewed. Won good header that lead to first goal for example. One thing for sure more games needed to give full opinions.
MAF has been brilliant since Powell came in no doubt about that.

Don't like to write him off so soon, he was involved in the first goal and can't be faulted for effort. However, his first touch is poor and he doesn't seem to have much anticipation where the ball is going. Added to that at his age he is leaving it a bit late to make his mark and doesn't look like a goalscorer. I hope Wabo hasn't been pushed too far down the pecking order. He clearly does know where the goal is, albeit unproven at this level and it would be nice to give him some game time. I know there is a school of thought that it doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as we score them, but we desperately need a reliable goal scoring forward.

That is a cracking return to go from 15 off to just 7 in 5 games is ridiculous. It makes the next few games vital. If we can just come up on the shoulder of 6th spot with 2 or 3 games to go it will be a magical end to the season.

With Oldham Walsall and Blackpool coming up we need to take 6 or 7 from those games. Take 9 and I'll be convinced we will do it.

March is a key month for us. 6 games and the final 2 against teams that will be chasing one of the play off positions. If we go into those games with Rotherham & Plymouth knowing that we are close to them it will certainly ensure that we have another couple of bumper crowds at the Hall.

UTB :happy:

Poor old Ladapo. His first touch was suspect but then almost every Blues player could be faulted for that against Pompey. Maybe it's the pitch but also because much of the short passing was pinged with too much pace on it. Further, a lot of the longer balls, were well over hit.

I have no idea how good FL is but then he hasn't as yet shown his very best. I think he needs a run of matches. As for the heading, well, he missed some but got to many. The defence he was up against probably had some part in that.

We may get a better idea of him after another five games or so. It's a bit harsh writing him off just yet. He may be a late bloomer. His league experience, for 25, is very limited. For me, I see enough in him at this stage, to believe he is going to be a useful front guy.

As for Harrison, he has good feet, but I sincerely doubt the wing is the place for him. I am sure he is a prospect but he needs to learn about the harrying of league 1 and realise he does not have all the time in the world on the ball. He will do well.

Back