• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agree with Turner bit but not Ladapo,think we should nickname him Teflon!!!

Still not convinced by Ladapo yet though. Thought it was a tad harsh on MAF to lose his place and I don’t think Ladapo did too much to keep hold of the shirt. Doesn’t win much for a big man, very heavy first touch and didn’t make too much impact.

Ladapo - 7.5, he's really not a target man but he did ok, more so in the 1st half

Subs:
Fortune for Ladapo - 7.5, did ok when he came on, he is our best "holder up of the ball"

Ladapo 6 - Not sure what to make of him TBO. A few nice touches and good hold up play, but isn't a target man and didn't ever look like scoring.

I fear we've found our next boo boy because I watched a different game to you lot.

Ladapo's hold up play was excellent (which is the role of a target man). The first goal came from his knock-down and pretty much everything came from his ability to make the ball stick. He'd take 3, 4 touches and then lay it off to a team-mate to continue the attack. That's something we've been missing post-Ranger and meant we were able to play in their half, help our defence by stopping the ball coming straight back quickly and at the same time give time for team-mates to get forward to support attacks. What was noticeable is how much better he was at finding team-mates than on his debut - it suggests that he's learning quickly (and also they of him) which bodes well.

Now he didn't have the goal threat of Barry Corr, but few do. But he doesn't have to be that prolific if he's helping midfielders and defenders to get forward to score (we've scored 3 every home game under CP - and that's without a forward scoring). As to comparing him to Fortune, Fortune had the benefit of playing against 10 men and defenders who Lapado had worn down and I don't think Fortune was an improvement.

Freddie did tire but his only two starts this season in first team football were in this last week so that's not entirely surprising. There will be tougher opponents ahead - Pompey let Cox hold the ball up well so they won't be the toughest opponents for Ladapo - but this was a very encouraging display leading the line. If he can replicate this against tougher opponents we would seem to have the makings of a spine for next season (subject to Turner's legs). That ability to hold the ball up is the platform upon which you build attacks. He might not be quite as good under the high ball as Corr, Harrold, Benji but he's more mobile than them. Hopefully the goals will come for him with confidence and match time. I thought it was a very encouraging performance from him - one we can build from.

A nerve-wracking affair on Saturday. Pompey actually started the game well and could have scored in the second minute when one of their players was clean through but fluffed it. Then two attacks from us and two goals. As great as that was, Pompey were always a threat going forward and we got away with a couple of crosses flashing across the six-yard box; eventually one of them went in and we did well to hold on until half-time.

We started the second half better although whenever Jamal Lowe got the ball we looked petrified; he looks a class act. Again we survived a couple of cross-shots that could easily been converted. The sending off helped us enormously but like others, I feared the worst when Harrison - totally unmarked - ballsed up a simple looking header from a wonderful cross.

We still needed a third goal and thankfully we got it. Absolutely superb composure from Dru to send Demi in. Funnily enough he scuffed it but because their keeper anticipated he would shoot across him he effectively dived out of the way and it trickled in.

Not a great performance but a vital three points; I doubt we'd have won had the game been played before SCP's reign began. We missed Kightly for his extra quality and the balance of the team suffered a little as a result. Harrison did OK but he's only a short-term solution. We rode our luck at times but sometimes you make your own luck and we edged it.

Whatever, for the third consecutive home match I found myself grinning and humming Seven Nation Army as I walked back to Westcliff station. Happy days.

I fear we've found our next boo boy because I watched a different game to you lot.

Ladapo's hold up play was excellent (which is the role of a target man). The first goal came from his knock-down and pretty much everything came from his ability to make the ball stick. He'd take 3, 4 touches and then lay it off to a team-mate to continue the attack. That's something we've been missing post-Ranger and meant we were able to play in their half, help our defence by stopping the ball coming straight back quickly and at the same time give time for team-mates to get forward to support attacks. What was noticeable is how much better he was at finding team-mates than on his debut - it suggests that he's learning quickly (and also they of him) which bodes well.

Now he didn't have the goal threat of Barry Corr, but few do. But he doesn't have to be that prolific if he's helping midfielders and defenders to get forward to score (we've scored 3 every home game under CP - and that's without a forward scoring). As to comparing him to Fortune, Fortune had the benefit of playing against 10 men and defenders who Lapado had worn down and I don't think Fortune was an improvement.

Freddie did tire but his only two starts this season in first team football were in this last week so that's not entirely surprising. There will be tougher opponents ahead - Pompey let Cox hold the ball up well so they won't be the toughest opponents for Ladapo - but this was a very encouraging display leading the line. If he can replicate this against tougher opponents we would seem to have the makings of a spine for next season (subject to Turner's legs). That ability to hold the ball up is the platform upon which you build attacks. He might not be quite as good under the high ball as Corr, Harrold, Benji but he's more mobile than them. Hopefully the goals will come for him with confidence and match time. I thought it was a very encouraging performance from him - one we can build from.

That's pretty much how I saw it

On Harrison looks like a number 10 player to me...in the hole oo er missus. Bit lightweight maybe but tough when played out of position

Lightweight? He was making tackles in our own box in the second half, I've not seen many young premier league loanee's involved as much as he was, especially considering he was not playing in his natural position (as far as I'm aware anyway).

I'm sure he is never going to be a prolific goalscorer I've seen plenty of signs that he can play the big man role well. Defenders find it tough to go over him and certainly can't go through him. I thought first half he looked good in the air and some good link up play on the deck. Certainly giving 100%

So a younger version of Fortune then

I went home Saturday thinking that was a great performance by all the players, and a great win against a very decent team. Of course now I have had a read of the zone, I realise I obviously wasn't paying any attention to the game.

So here's my view on it all.....For a start lets clear one thing up, Pompey had a very good mid-field.....One of the best I have seen this season. They were strong, moved the ball quickly, could pass and looked dangerous going forward. So some of the players who had an 'off' day actually were playing well to contain Pompey.

Some of you won't like this but CP had obviously given them some thought in his own team selection. He obviously didn't fancy McG to do anywhere near the job McL did down our Right. Even in the 91stminute at Bury McG gave the ball away stupidly just outside our box and we could easily have lost that match.

I know some of you pre match were looking to swap things around but with mid field players and Wright not yet match fit, Harrison on left was the best option. No he is not a winger, as in a traditional wide man, but that's not the only option for left and right mid field. For start you still have to defend, you need to be in the game for a possible 90+ minutes and you have to have an end product.

Another great early start at RH. I was critical of Freddie at Bury for his heading but a good jump and a well placed header and up pops Harrison right down the middle....Good first and second touch which caused their guy to slide, in a desperate effort and it sails in the top left. Own goal yes but thanks to the new kids on the block.

Second goal McL lays a lovely weighted and inviting ball for Demy. Swept firmly in the far corner with the confidence of a man who takes and score penalties.

Anton was challenging and winning every header at this stage with the confidence of knowing Turner can sweep. In the second half late on under pressure Turner took over and won every header. Outstanding partnership between them. Yes a couple of times some very god footballers skipped past a challenge from them but that's what good players like Jack Payne or Dru are more than capable of doing. But more importantly the young Pompey fans, walking through the car park after, were looking for a reason for Pittman not being in the game. There were of course two main reasons....Anton and Turner. That's why some fans from places like Portsmouth and Millwall resort to racist or family abuse and some of you should remember that when you hear some idiot claiming its their 'right' as paying fan to abuse him. When Anton dives down the tunnel that's a shame on us all.

Back to game....At 2-0 we looked comfortable at the back but were wasteful going forward. Call it complacency as we have been in this safe 2-0 zone a few times recently but with good options players went for 30+ yard shots rather than look to finish the match. Suddenly at 2-1 they came back into it and for the first time I thought 2 goals weren't going to be enough.

The sending off came at a vital time for us, as their mid-field were really starting to tick. The challenge was definitely studs over the top but Coker's late reaction meant the 3,000 12th men in the East were a little slow to do our job but we got there in the end. Just after that the man who can't pass (Timlin) puts the cross of the day onto an unmarked and slightly stretching Harrison but he glanced it wide.....Still that will teach him he should have been out on the left touchline rather than finding space in the middle of the penalty area.

Dru was looking for birthday glory on his first two runs, much to the annoyance of CP. The key moment was his 3rd run. For those of you who are being to critical, lets remember on his 18th birthday he clearly learnt a lesson Jack Payne never did at RH......Once you have drawn all the defenders toward you if you lay a perfectly weighted ball into space....Is almost impossible to defend.

Of course you might need someone to burst a gut to get there.....So step, or rather sprint forward my MOM Jason Demetriou As we were reminded last Tuesday, all the effort and good play in the world never counts if you don't score. Two superbly finished goals in a season when far to many simple chances have been missed.

Oldham away and then Walsall at home. With plenty of the season left, lets not study league tables for to long, just make sure you get yourself down to the Hall and bring a friend or two. If your a Shrimper its always best to enjoy it why you can.

Rigsby, that post has some valid points as many of your posts do. It does read as quite condescending at times though and I think it would be much more warmly received if it wasn’t. Posters on here are football fans, and there has never been a football fan who gets all their opinions correct and very few who can fairly claim to not be fickle. Recent times suggest you are not an exception, and personally I’ve proven myself time and again not to be either!

I agree with many posts on here. Personally I felt Timlin was the one closest to Demi for MotM. But Turner, Anton and Dru as mentioned by many were also excellent.

I thought Harrison looked good on the left in the first half, but faded a little in the second.

Ladapo, I’m unsure of at the moment. He battled hard when the ball came near him, and there was one moment just before half time where he really showcased his ability. He does need to work harder off the ball though. During spells we struggled to get the ball out, at times he wasn’t on his toes when it was cleared but more often he wasn’t making himself available for a longer ball. I can’t help but think him matching how MAF plays would help his game no end.

Really pleased with another win and it puts the relegation threat to bed for me now!

Yes, Bobby Madley. He's not even the best referee in his family !

This is a discussion forum. You make a comment about a referee or anything else; someone has a differing, complementary or even complimentary point to add and they add their post - that's how it works. If I say anything you disagree with or don't understand, please do respond.

That is how it works and it would be good if you practiced what you preach.

The problem seems to be that there are only two options allowed with you your opinion and the wrong opinion.

Gosh did i just dare to question the great ref encyclopedia :omg:

Back