• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think it's been established that Harrison didn't actually shoot; the defender lunged in with an attempt to put it out for a corner. The view was pretty clear from East Yellows and Reds, and I daresay plenty of the Pompey fans also got a clear view. So own goal was a proper description in this particular case. More generally, I think it is accepted that a deflection on an already goalbound shot is not given as an own goal - and isn't that the principle that applies with the bookmakers? I don't think gamblers are ever rewarded on the basis of "he deserved it", even if he did.

Not exactly how I saw it watching on ifollow.Or on the highlights since.

Saturdays first goal was own goal because Harrison didn't shoot, it was nicely clipped into the top corner by Pompey player. Its just not clear from that one TV camera.

Kightly's was given the goal v Fleetwood, despite a huge loop of a deflection off of Bolger because Kightly had shot at goal.

A grey area is the one like the Wycombe goal in the final at Wembley. A free-kick hits the bar and goes in after the rebound hits the keeper. I don't think that should ever be an Oggy as the shot is on target in the first place.

If Bentley didn't move that ball doesn't go in. It's an OG

What about the Northampton free-kick last season. Ted Smith tipped the ball onto the post and it bounced back onto him and then into the goal.

If a poor free-kick hits someone in the wall, then it is not an own goal but just like Demetrious goal at Scunthorpe it was never going in until the deflection. For that reason I don't see that a goal should ever be down to the keeper if it is a shot etc, off the bar or post. If the ball wasn't out for a goal kick then it was still in play therefore on target. I know that's not the rule but that's how I see it.

Not sure if it is still the case but in Italy they were always much stricter on deflected goals being claimed by anyone from the attacking team.

As a rule, if the initial attempt is goal bound it is credited to the player making the goal attempt. However if the deflection means that a wayward effort results in a goal then it is attributed to the player who had the last definitive touch of the ball.

In the example above involving Ted, as he had to "tip it on to the post" suggests that it was a goal bound attempt and would therefore be credited to the player making that attempt, not Ted.

Having just watched the Goal Cam, it looks to me like Harrison didn’t shoot, but the Portsmouth player tried to kick the ball away from Harrison’s feet, which he did, but ended up putting it in the top corner! It was a nice finish, but definitely an OG for me.

As a rule, if the initial attempt is goal bound it is credited to the player making the goal attempt. However if the deflection means that a wayward effort results in a goal then it is attributed to the player who had the last definitive touch of the ball.

In the example above involving Ted, as he had to "tip it on to the post" suggests that it was a goal bound attempt and would therefore be credited to the player making that attempt, not Ted.

But as the ball has been tipped on to the post that goes down as a miss. After the ball hits the post its a new phase of play and it hitting Ted and going in puts that down as an own goal

It is as far as I'm concerned.

One they can still go in and as long as it rebounds then that's the same as a keeper making a save. In particular free kicks can rebound onto the keeper on his initially dive to save the shot. I think its was Northampton at home last season when that happened to Oxley. We don't discount goals if the keeper lets one through his legs so I think rebounds in off the keeper should count as a legitimate goal.

Edit: just remembered Oxley was injured so it was Ted in goal.
you must be interpreting “ on target “ differently to every other person who has expressed a view on the subject. How on earth a shot can be on target, doesn’t hit anything , and doesn’t result in a goal is beyond me.

Does a shot on goal by an opposing player towards their own goal, go down in the stats as a shot on or off target for the other team?

A shot 'off target' that hits the bar or post and bounces back off the keeper and goes towards the goal but is then cleared before crossing the line. Is that a shot off target and a shot on target. All very interesting stuff.

Definite og.

Clarke placed it better than Turner at Scunny but didn't hit it as hard.

They both gave the keeper no chance.

Don't think anyone's disputing their defender turned the ball into his own net, (I'm certainly not). What appears to be at issue is, if Harrison got a touch on the ball beforehand.At the time I didn't think so, as the incident happened really too fast to see clearly.However,watching the highlights again (from the camera angle on top of the West stand) it looked to me as though he did.Have a look at that and you might change your mind.

Don't think anyone's disputing their defender turned the ball into his own net, (I'm certainly not). What appears to be at issue is, if Harrison got a touch on the ball beforehand.At the time I didn't think so, as the incident happened really too fast to see clearly.However,watching the highlights again (from the camera angle on top of the West stand) it looked to me as though he did.Have a look at that and you might change your mind.

I suggest you watch goal cam on the highlights thread. You can clearly see what I saw from the East. A lovely left foot curler into the top corner by......A Wigan player.

I suggest you watch goal cam on the highlights thread. You can clearly see what I saw from the East. A lovely left foot curler into the top corner by......A Wigan player.

One of your more bizarre claims.

you must be interpreting “ on target “ differently to every other person who has expressed a view on the subject. How on earth a shot can be on target, doesn’t hit anything , and doesn’t result in a goal is beyond me.

I thought the idea of a forum is for discussion not just to quote the current rules. So things shouldn't be 'beyond' anyone.

If a shot hits the post or bar it is hitting something. Which is why it ends up in the net, sometimes off the keeper, sometimes from an attacker following up.

Large deflection off the wall then goal to the kicker, in off the keeper via the post no goal to the kicker....What's the difference neither would be a goal if the ball never hit the opposition.

Cox got an assist with a shot on target that Walton pushed out for Kightly to score v Wigan. So if it had hit the post and then Kightly scored was that a shot off target therefore no assist?

Back