• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
I dont believe it to be fair jostice to a player whe has a shot on goal and a defender or anyone sticks out a foot to try to prevent that shot from scoring and it ricochets off and into the net , i believe the goal should be credited to the person taking the shot, after all said and done the defender is only doing his job in trying to prevent a goal,its the same as a goalkeeper diving to save a shot the ball hits his hand but he is unable to prevent the goal ,is the goal credited to the goalkeeper as an own goal ,i dont think so . What are your thoughts on this.

I think it generally depends if the shot is on target or not. If it's going on target and the keeper has it covered but it's deflected in the opposite corner it is normally still credited to the person taking the shot ( unless of course it's deflected off one of his own team)

I think it generally depends if the shot is on target or not.
I think it's been established that Harrison didn't actually shoot; the defender lunged in with an attempt to put it out for a corner. The view was pretty clear from East Yellows and Reds, and I daresay plenty of the Pompey fans also got a clear view. So own goal was a proper description in this particular case. More generally, I think it is accepted that a deflection on an already goalbound shot is not given as an own goal - and isn't that the principle that applies with the bookmakers? I don't think gamblers are ever rewarded on the basis of "he deserved it", even if he did.

Saturdays first goal was own goal because Harrison didn't shoot, it was nicely clipped into the top corner by Pompey player. Its just not clear from that one TV camera.

Kightly's was given the goal v Fleetwood, despite a huge loop of a deflection off of Bolger because Kightly had shot at goal.

A grey area is the one like the Wycombe goal in the final at Wembley. A free-kick hits the bar and goes in after the rebound hits the keeper. I don't think that should ever be an Oggy as the shot is on target in the first place.

"A grey area is the one like the Wycombe goal in the final at Wembley. A free-kick hits the bar and goes in after the rebound hits the keeper. I don't think that should ever be an Oggy as the shot is on target in the first place."

But it hit the bar and was about to bounce out. Had Bentley not made contact it would not have gone in, so OG to me. accidental though it was.

I dont believe it to be fair jostice to a player whe has a shot on goal and a defender or anyone sticks out a foot to try to prevent that shot from scoring and it ricochets off and into the net , i believe the goal should be credited to the person taking the shot, after all said and done the defender is only doing his job in trying to prevent a goal,its the same as a goalkeeper diving to save a shot the ball hits his hand but he is unable to prevent the goal ,is the goal credited to the goalkeeper as an own goal ,i dont think so . What are your thoughts on this.

What you have said should happen is exactly what happens so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

If anything the award of goals is sometimes over generous to the fortunate attacker.

Not that it matters (unless you had a couple of quid on Demetriou as first goal scorer - which I did :smile:).

Hitting the bar or post isn’t hitting the target.

It is as far as I'm concerned.

One they can still go in and as long as it rebounds then that's the same as a keeper making a save. In particular free kicks can rebound onto the keeper on his initially dive to save the shot. I think its was Northampton at home last season when that happened to Oxley. We don't discount goals if the keeper lets one through his legs so I think rebounds in off the keeper should count as a legitimate goal.

Edit: just remembered Oxley was injured so it was Ted in goal.

Last edited:

One they can still go in and as long as it rebounds then that's the same as a keeper making a save. In particular free kicks can rebound onto the keeper on his initially dive to save the shot. I think its was Northampton at home last season when that happened to Oxley. We don't discount goals if the keeper lets one through his legs so I think rebounds in off the keeper should count as a legitimate goal.

I have always considered that "on target" to mean that it is going to score unless someone gets in the way on the line, as such the post is off target, a bit like the outside of a dart board doesn't score.
I think if the ball is going in totally the opposite direction to the goal, then it strikes another player an goes in, it should always be credited to the player who got the last touch (accidentally or not). Certainly if a shot hits the post and a forward taps in the rebound the forward always claims it.

I don’t think a Colchester player should be allowed to start Shrimperzone threads,even if he used to play for us and is a nice chap who tried his very best.

Saturdays first goal was own goal because Harrison didn't shoot, it was nicely clipped into the top corner by Pompey player. Its just not clear from that one TV camera.

Kightly's was given the goal v Fleetwood, despite a huge loop of a deflection off of Bolger because Kightly had shot at goal.

A grey area is the one like the Wycombe goal in the final at Wembley. A free-kick hits the bar and goes in after the rebound hits the keeper. I don't think that should ever be an Oggy as the shot is on target in the first place.

Hopefully get a better view of it from the in goal camera when they post that up today.

The Wycombe goal at Wembley wouldn't have been a goal had it not hit Bentley. The ball was rebounding back out into the 6-yard box. It's a clear own goal as far as I'm concerned, very unfortunate but for me you can't give it to Jacobsen. An assist yes, a goal? No. Hitting the post or bar can only be considered to be "on target" if the ball then goes into the net directly after hitting one of them.

The Wycombe goal at Wembley wouldn't have been a goal had it not hit Bentley. The ball was rebounding back out into the 6-yard box. It's a clear own goal as far as I'm concerned, very unfortunate but for me you can't give it to Jacobsen. An assist yes, a goal? No. Hitting the post or bar can only be considered to be "on target" if the ball then goes into the net directly after hitting one of them.

Jacobsen deserves nothing ever......unless it is a smack in his supercilious gob

If they still go in of the post then they count as a shot on target, if they don't go in then it's a shot off target.

If you remove the keeper from the pitch then the shot through his legs would still go in, hence it's the striker's goal. If you remove the keeper from the pitch then a shot that hits the bar now doesn't have anyone to hit so it won't be a goal, which is why the striker doesn't get credited with it.

If they still go in of the post then they count as a shot on target, if they don't go in then it's a shot off target.

If you remove the keeper from the pitch then the shot through his legs would still go in, hence it's the striker's goal. If you remove the keeper from the pitch then a shot that hits the bar now doesn't have anyone to hit so it won't be a goal, which is why the striker doesn't get credited with it.

What about the Northampton free-kick last season. Ted Smith tipped the ball onto the post and it bounced back onto him and then into the goal.

If a poor free-kick hits someone in the wall, then it is not an own goal but just like Demetrious goal at Scunthorpe it was never going in until the deflection. For that reason I don't see that a goal should ever be down to the keeper if it is a shot etc, off the bar or post. If the ball wasn't out for a goal kick then it was still in play therefore on target. I know that's not the rule but that's how I see it.

Not sure if it is still the case but in Italy they were always much stricter on deflected goals being claimed by anyone from the attacking team.

Back